Sugar Veil Vs Tbk Gum Paste Mix

Decorating By 61999 Updated 12 Jan 2014 , 6:02pm by costumeczar

61999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
61999 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 9

I need sugar veil fast but none available so I heard you could use TBK gumpaste mix just like you do Sugar Veil.  I am going to use in one of the Sugar Veil lace mats....has anyone done this with the TBK mix?  Does it work?

8 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 9

Haven't tried the TBK gum paste, but I did find this recipe online the other day (haven't tried it either, but it might be worth a try):

Homemade Sugarveil Recipe (by Tami Dragoo)
1 Tbs. tylose powder
1 Tbs. powdered sugar
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. meringue powder
1/2 tsp. light corn syrup
1/4 c. boiling water
Mix until incorporated. Add color as desired.

61999 Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you....my first attempt with the TBK was not good!

Will try your suggestion.

61999 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 9

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

It worked B E A U T I F U L L Y !!!!  thumbs_up.gif

It was ready to peel off the lace mold in less than 3 hours too.  I did place it on a sheet pan in the oven with just the oven light on as I live in very humid weather.

I used distilled water just in case, and I added black color to the boiling water as well as the corn syrup to the boiling water so it would all release into from the spoon.

I only wish I had tried it before buying 2 bags of sugar veil online with 2 day delivery charges - ugh!

Thank you so much!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot 

Haven't tried the TBK gum paste, but I did find this recipe online the other day (haven't tried it either, but it might be worth a try):

Homemade Sugarveil Recipe (by Tami Dragoo)
1 Tbs. tylose powder
1 Tbs. powdered sugar
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. meringue powder
1/2 tsp. light corn syrup
1/4 c. boiling water
Mix until incorporated. Add color as desired.

Does this make enough volume to mix in a stand mixer? Doesn't seem like enough ingredients (volume wise) to touch the whisk.

61999 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 9

Barely - I had to mix mostly by hand.  I used my 6 QT Kitchenaid with the whisk, but it is a very small amount.  Had to stop frequently and push mix down.  Then just used a strong spatula to mix it by hand.  However it is enough for about 1.75 of the large sugarveil molds.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 9

That's really great news--thanks for being the guinea pig! 

I'm so very glad that it worked well for you!

pennyemer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennyemer Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 9

I have tried to make this twice and each time it is a glob. What am I doing wrong? is the cornstarch measured in teaspoon or tablespoon? I see two different variations. Does tylose go bad? Mine is maybe 18 months old and has been in a sealed container, but as soon as I add the boiling water, it becomes gel. It is CK brand.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 9

Tylose is supposed to be a gel when it gets wet so that's normal. Try this recipe I came up with , it worked well but it adds another gum and reserves the tylose until the end of the mixing part. Creepy and rubbery but it worked. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2013/10/homemade-sugarveilelastic-icing.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%