Cake Plates/stands

Business By BatterUpCake Updated 3 Sep 2013 , 7:13am by dukecorner

BatterUpCake Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 11:10am
post #1 of 12

Many of you expressed an interest in cake plates and stands to me yesterday. Looking around on the net I need to get input of what exactly you preferences. What heights do you need most often? Square or round? Size of plate? I have seen some rustic stands made from tree trunks or just in the shape of a box...any interest in those? What kind of base do you prefer? What makes a plate desirable or special to you? Would you like natural wood, colors or powder coated aluminum? What makes some cake stands worth $120 when there are others for $40-$50? All input is needed. ANyone who would like to send pictures ofwhat you like please send to

11 replies
LauraStora Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 12

It's really funny that I've seen this post today as I've just read a really good blog post on the subject of cake stands. It's wedding focused but to me the ideas they suggested could be used for just about anything.

Here's the link and I hope it's of use:

BatterUpCake Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 12

Thaks...I was at Michaels today and I seen those straight cylindrical vases and thought those would be really cool filled with flowers and a cake plate on top. I did woodworking in a previous like (pre carpal tunnel surgery/fibromyalgia life) so I a, specifically looking at stands to make from wood...I just hate doing something plain and boring....went out today to get stuff to make regular cake stands and ended up buying stuff to make unique ones that would not be used therefore probably not what the folks asking me were looking for. The second piece  I am going to attach a log slice to the top and some decorative mushrooms to the bottom for fairy/pixie cakes... These are just for me..Still researcing what the market wants and if it would be worth it for me to make some...

lorieleann Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 12

what i would be in the market for in cake stands would be something that i knew was versatile, balanced and could support quite a bit of weight. Personally, I am not purchasing something that looks repurposed or unique, unless it was for a specific wedding and I was creating an entire table-scape (and that isn't very often).  I want something to be stylish and compliment the cake, but not to be so eye-catching as to compete with the design of the cake.  

BatterUpCake Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 12

No...The repurposed and unique is for me! lol. I can't stand having something that looks the same as everyone else's. I kind of assumes everyone wants a stand that is balanced and holds weight. What sizes? The market is flooded with 10-12" stands. Folks asked me to look into making some But I can't do anything without this info and feel I am wasting my time.

AZCouture Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 12
Originally Posted by lorieleann 

I want something to be stylish and compliment the cake, but not to be so eye-catching as to compete with the design of the cake.  

That. I need to be able to put a lacy 4 tier cake covered in sugar flowers on it for one pic, and then a black and white geometric cake on it for the next pic, and the stand needs to look like it was made for each one. Kind of along those lines. 

BatterUpCake Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 12

and what size would the bottom tiers be on these cake?

AZCouture Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 12

Typically, in the 12 to 13" range. Sometimes bigger, but generally that range or smaller.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 12

AI sent you an email of what I think most would be interested in seeing.

The sizes I would want are 12", 14", 16", & 18".

BatterUpCake Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 11:24pm
post #10 of 12

I have not forgotten this thread. Been busy with the VA, retirement, baking and enrolling in school. I am researching the best style bases to make them sturdy. I do not have a lather so I have to look into using one at the hobby shop on base, subbing that out or finding a company that already sells the pieces I would need for the base. And I am still working with the fabricator on the torter/leveler. If I get these made I will pick a couple of folks here to try out the prototype...while signing a non discloure form..It's still in the works but I have too many irons in the pot...I'll post again when I have something to update. WHile out researching I did find a couple of ecelectic ideas for myslef using repurposed items. One is the stand I put my Maggie Soettero  dress on and the other I am making from tree stumps with dried mushrooms on the base. Perfect for fairies!!

BatterUpCake Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 9:59pm
post #11 of 12

OK..I have started my first stand today The base will be 8"tall and corset shaped, and the top 14" round. It will be unpainted Brazillian Cherry. If this one comes out and seems desirable then I may produce more....

dukecorner Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 7:13am
post #12 of 12

It is that while We have simply just understand a very good article dedicated to cake Plates. It really is wedding concentrated nevertheless in my experience this thoughts that they suggested could be applied for nearly everything.

Plate stand

Quote by @%username% on %date%