Cake Price

Business By lybra Updated 22 Jul 2013 , 10:47pm by cakebloomers

lybra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lybra Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 6:51am
post #1 of 16

Hi

I am new to this site, I just joined today because I needed help on cake pricing.  I got my first cake order that I will be getting paid for.  I am making 2 tier Minnie Cake, bottom tier is 10 inch and top tier is 8 inch.  I will be putting fondant ears and other decorations similar to the cakes here, will have buttercream icing.  Also, the client wants Minnie cupcakes and cake pop., For the cupcakes I will be putting fondant or paper ears with bow in a tooth pick to put on the cupcake and for the cake pops I will be adding ears and bow as well.  I hope I am posting this right.

Could someone please give me suggestions on how much to charge for the cake, cupcakes and cakepops?

Thanks so much!

15 replies
icewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icewitch Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 7:25am
post #2 of 16

Hi. I am fairly new here too. Cake pricing seems to be the hardest thing to do for me. I just don't know how to charge for cakes. And since there is really no shops anywhere near me(over an hour) that do anything outside of a standard sheet cake I cant even see what the average runs in my area. Maybe there is a topic on here somewhere that has advice on this subject? If I come across it I will post it for you.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 7:38am
post #3 of 16

ADo a search for "pricing" in the search box. There's hundreds (no seriously, hundreds) of threads about the topic. Every answer to every question

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 7:38am
post #4 of 16

AThere are over 26,000 topics on pricing on cake central. Just go up to the search bar and type it in. Read at least 10 threads, and if you have anymore questions, we'll be happy to help.

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 16

And if that doesn't work, look up Jason Kraft (user on CC) and look at his signature. He has written several awesome articles, one of them being knowing how to price your art! Good luck!

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 16

Welcome to Cake Central.

Is my intrepretation of your post correct - you're in business (taken a cake order), but you don't have any pricing structure in place?

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 1:35pm
post #7 of 16

Welcome to Cake Central.

Is my intrepretation of your post correct - you're in business (taken a cake order), but you don't have any pricing structure in place?

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 16

AYou may want to search for threads on copyrighted characters too.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 16

ACheck out the Pricing Formula and Copyright Law links in my signature below. Before you accept this order you would need to obtain permission from Disney to copy Minnie Mouse...since you probably won't get permission you should have a backup design ready that uses generic, non-copyrighted elements with licensed figurines.

Also, how do you know you actually have an order if the customer hasn't yet agreed to a price?

lybra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lybra Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.   I was baking for free for everyone, only in the last few days someone said they will pay me for the cake, cupcakes and cakepops.  That is why I had no idea what to charge. 

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 7:56pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lybra 

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.   I was baking for free for everyone, only in the last few days someone said they will pay me for the cake, cupcakes and cakepops.  That is why I had no idea what to charge. 

I'll start to the bandwagon :) Are you licensed to sell and bake out of your home? Not sure what the laws are in Canada. They vary greatly in the US and some are ridiculously strict.

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 7:56pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lybra 

I'll start to the bandwagon :) Are you licensed to sell and bake out of your home? Not sure what the laws are in Canada. They vary greatly in the US and some are ridiculously strict.

gems7882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gems7882 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 9:44pm
post #13 of 16

I have the same issue.... how to charge for ur cakes.. by piece or by cake... and how much should I charge for per serving??

gems7882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gems7882 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 9:45pm
post #14 of 16

exactly my situation there

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 10:13pm
post #15 of 16
Greetings to all those who seek pricing answers! This topic has been discussed extensively. Please, use the search box and type in "how to price cakes" and learn for yourself how to do the math. Knowing how to price will give you confidence and it's far better than returning again and again to ask the same question about a different cake.

Also make sure you are compliant with food safety laws in your area. Some municipalities require a license and/or an inspection before you can sell food to the public.

Good luck! The people on CC are a very friendly bunch; they've just hit overload on pricing questions! 
cakebloomers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebloomers Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 10:47pm
post #16 of 16

Having read a few of the threads on pricing...I have concluded that for myself, $3.00 per serving is fair for what my ingredients cost and my time, experience, and art work. My policy is: If I volunteer to make a cake, it's my gift....if I am asked by family or friends, I will offer a 20% discount, if I have creative freedom. If family or friends want to specify design, special flavors, etc, they can pay the normal rate. This price structure may not work for you, but it allows me to make enough profit to keep me happy. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%