Ramadan Recipe Ideas

Baking By jmjdubai2013 Updated 22 Jul 2013 , 6:49pm by NoviceBaker911

jmjdubai2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmjdubai2013 Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 11

Ramadan Kareem!

I have some free time during Ramadan and would like to try some special recipes. Does anyone have suggestions?

10 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 11

ACake! Of course....

Is it almost Ramadan already? Isn't it early?

jiya11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jiya11 Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 11

ARamadan depends on the lunar calendar, that's way it's not a fixed date every year.. Ramadan Kareem jmj. I would suggest trying a dates cake. I have a recipe and and will post it later.

jiya11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 11

AI know it depends on the lunar calendar. I'm Jewish and we have our own calendar, too!

It just seems early this year.

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 12:36am
post #6 of 11

Ramadan Mubarak everyone!

To all of you who are wondering if Ramadan is early this year, let me confirm - yes it is early, and it gets earlier every year because it is pushed up 11 days.

And yes, the Islamic months are according to the lunar calendar. The reason for the move 11 days every year is the following:

The time of Hajj, the starting time of fast, one of the Muslims’ essential worships, are all determined based on the lunar calendar. The period of time that the earth makes one complete revolution around the sun is called the solar year. The length of a solar year that “the Gregorian calendar” is based on is approximately 365 days and 6 hours. (365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, 45.51 seconds). The year consisting of 12 lunar months and based on cycles of the lunar phase is called the lunar year. The calendar based on lunar year is called the “Islamic calendar”. The moon completes its revolution around the earth in 29, 5 days. This period is called “a month”. One lunar year consists of 12 lunar months which is equal to 12 x 29, 5 = 354 days. It means that lunar year is approximately 11 days less than the solar year. So a lunar month drifts each solar year by 11 days and comes back to the same date in relation to the solar year approximately every 33 Islamic years. Therefore, Ramadan starts 10 days earlier each year according to the Gregorian calendar while always starting at the same date according to the Islamic calendar. And start at the same date in each 33 years (source: http://askaquestionto.us/question-answer/ramadan/why-does-the-holy-month-of-ramadan-start-and-end-at-different-dates-every-year)

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 12:38am
post #7 of 11

Forgot to post a recipe link that I will be trying this Ramadan (tomorrow in fact!) for Cardamom Cupcakes with Masala Chai frosting

http://alpineberry.blogspot.com/2010/11/cardamom-cupcakes-with-masala-chai.html

I also love making Mango cupcakes with Mango Buttercream frosting. Yummy!

ashdb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashdb Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 11

Hey jmj..

I have tried a continental dessert (lime pie). It was really very tasty. I would like to share the preparation with you. Just 4 steps and you are there!

1.     Combine biscuit crumbs and butter in a bowl, rub the ingredients to combine well, press the mixture over the base and sides of a loose bottom tart tin. Set in the fridge for a few minutes.

2.     Combine condensed milk, lime juice, lemon juice, liquid cream and grated lime zest in a mixing bowl and whip for until mixture becomes almost thick.

3.     Pour the dissolved gelatine over with constant whipping until well combined then pour evenly over the prepared base.

4.     Place in fridge until it sets then serve.

Try this out jmj!

jmjdubai2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmjdubai2013 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 4:28am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdb 

Hey jmj..

I have tried a continental dessert (lime pie). It was really very tasty. I would like to share the preparation with you. Just 4 steps and you are there!

1.     Combine biscuit crumbs and butter in a bowl, rub the ingredients to combine well, press the mixture over the base and sides of a loose bottom tart tin. Set in the fridge for a few minutes.

2.     Combine condensed milk, lime juice, lemon juice, liquid cream and grated lime zest in a mixing bowl and whip for until mixture becomes almost thick.

3.     Pour the dissolved gelatine over with constant whipping until well combined then pour evenly over the prepared base.

4.     Place in fridge until it sets then serve.

Try this out jmj!

Hey... I tried this. My niece really loved it.. and she told me to prepare more desserts like this. Could you post some more dessert recipes? 

ashdb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashdb Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjdubai2013 

Hey... I tried this. My niece really loved it.. and she told me to prepare more desserts like this. Could you post some more dessert recipes? 

Oh that is really goodicon_smile.gif

I used to refer healthy Ramadan recipes to try different dishes.Hope you will also like this. Anyways, I am happy to hear from you that you really loved the recipe I posted.

NoviceBaker911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoviceBaker911 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 6:49pm
post #11 of 11

AThis post made me miss my Egyptian friends in NYC who would always make me Katayef! If only I could translate that dessert into a cake!

I am however going to attempt the cardamom cupcakes, because they sound delicious!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%