What Software Or Apps Do You Use In Your Cake Business?

Business By justmikey Updated 7 Nov 2013 , 5:19am by MicheleBella

justmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justmikey Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 4:17am
post #1 of 14

AI'm curious what mobile apps or software you all use to help run/ manage your cake business. I'm a tech geek by trade so I love to find way to use my iPad or Android phone to get things done. I like the new square card readers for quick transactions and I've found an app called "cost a cake Pro" that seems to have some nice features but still having trouble finding software or apps to simplify running a cake business. Anyone have something they'd like to share that working for them?

13 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 4:26am
post #2 of 14

AQuickBooks, Excel, Google Voice, and Gmail.

PumpkinTart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PumpkinTart Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 6:45am
post #3 of 14

Jason, I've read a couple of horror stories about people losing their Google Voice numbers due to glitches with Google and not being able to get their original number back after they'd printed business cards/loaded their phone number on various online sites, etc.   Have you ever experienced problems with Google Voice or would you recommend it to people as a way to get a separate business number?

jason_kraft Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 14

AWe never had a problem with Google Voice, I would definitely recommend it for businesses run out of your home if you don't want to pay for a dedicated second line.

Sunglassface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunglassface Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 14

Its not really a mobile solution, but I love Cake Boss. It is worth the investment for me. Calculates everything. And you can back it up. (I do after every session) I have a smart phone, but honestly, I do nothing with my cakes on it except manage my Facebook page from it and take photos.(When I remember).

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 14

I use square on my ipad/iphone to accept credit cards.

Some day, when I have a store front, I want to use this....http://www.macworld.com/article/2038719/squares-new-stand-turns-ipad-into-a-cash-register.html

MarshaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarshaC Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 14

I use "Cake Stacker" and "Cake Slicer" nearly on a daily basis.  These are two amazing apps and a must have in my opinion. 

Cake Stacker lets me be creative when making a wedding or a tiered cake. It recommends tiers to use for servings or you can also build your cake tier by tier. Once done you can view your cake in 3d to roughly see how it might look. It also shows you where to place dowels and suggests fondant quantities for each tier.

I use Cake Slicer for finding accurate and reliable cake cutting guides. It has a handy feature of emailing guides to your customers with instructions.

Hope it helps. xxx

rsquared02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsquared02 Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperfishies 

Some day, when I have a store front, I want to use this....http://www.macworld.com/article/2038719/squares-new-stand-turns-ipad-into-a-cash-register.html

A bakery here in town uses that.  I thought it was the neatest thing.  It seemed really customer friendly, but that was just a 10 minute glimpse while I waited in line and drank my coffee!  

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaC 

I use "Cake Stacker" and "Cake Slicer" nearly on a daily basis.  These are two amazing apps and a must have in my opinion. 

Cake Stacker lets me be creative when making a wedding or a tiered cake. It recommends tiers to use for servings or you can also build your cake tier by tier. Once done you can view your cake in 3d to roughly see how it might look. It also shows you where to place dowels and suggests fondant quantities for each tier.

I use Cake Slicer for finding accurate and reliable cake cutting guides. It has a handy feature of emailing guides to your customers with instructions.

Hope it helps. xxx

On Cake Stacker:  Can you edit the number of servings you use for each tier?  Does it allow for off-set tiers, etc?

BakerBee7468 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBee7468 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperfishies 

This does sound interesting for those wanting to have a store front someday and doesn't sound too expensive when compared to a traditional pos system. I'm also going to try the cost cake pro app for on the go pricing quotes, what's great is you can put in the currency you use and your system of measurement.  cake boss is good to though once you get the hang of it. The only thing i didnt like ( which some people may like depending on what you use) is that it comes with ingredients already pre-added in the software and if you don't use those ingredients and in those measurements then you have to go through and delete them.

lindseyjhills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyjhills Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 10:40am
post #11 of 14

AI have a workaround for using Cake Boss on the iPad, it's by no means elegant but it does the job if I'm out and about. I basically set up a remote connection between my iPad and my PC, so I can control my PC with my iPad.

For non-techies, that means that everything I would be able to see, and actions I could take on my PC screen, I can see and do on my iPad screen once I have connected.

I use Team Viewer, but you could use any similar software such as Go To My PC. You need to install the app on the iPad and also the program on your computer. Having said all this I would much prefer there be a dedicated iPad version of Cake Boss :)

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 2:58pm
post #12 of 14

A

Original message sent by lindseyjhills

Having said all this I would much prefer there be a dedicated iPad version of Cake Boss :)

Me too! My laptop and my pc both bit the dust recently and all I have left are my smart phone and ipad. I need a new pc, but I hate spending the money knowing it will be outdated before I even get it out of the box.

jason_kraft Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:44pm
post #13 of 14

A

Original message sent by BrandisBaked

Me too! My laptop and my pc both bit the dust recently and all I have left are my smart phone and ipad. I need a new pc, but I hate spending the money knowing it will be outdated before I even get it out of the box.

There is very little innovation in the desktop/laptop PC space these days, any PC you buy today should work well for the next several years.

MicheleBella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleBella Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 5:19am
post #14 of 14

I am just merely influenced by the idea of using app in cake designing...It seems to be quite innovative and creative too....Check out more on Google apps email delegation

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%