Something Fishy Going On..should I Care?

Decorating By shebysuz Updated 15 Nov 2013 , 4:02pm by shebysuz

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 2:16am
post #91 of 123

A

Original message sent by cakefat

Shebysuz...really your hair is gorgeous..but you could be bald headed and still be gorgeous. [U]At first when I read that was  you back in high school...I saw the first photo and though 'well she's still gorgeous and so is her hair, cry me a river'...then I saw the 2nd photo. hahaha. That is GREAT!! I"m not laughing at you by the way..but that is some serious hair. Best photo ever too.[/U]

by the way- you should seriously consider going into business making your cakes on a very part time basis (once you get licensed etc etc in your state/area) because you are at a professional level now. I know it's difficult working full time, having a life, family and even beginning to consider making cakes to sell. But if you can find the balance, then go for it. 

I thought this too! I was all "what? she was still hot!" and then scrolled down EPIC hair, and photo!

Totally agree with EVERY.SINGLE.WORD. of this post, actually.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 3:09am
post #92 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebysuz 

Thank you cakefat. I really appreciate the encouragement and all your nice words. Yeah, my hair was so atrocious that it is practically cool!  Back on to cakes.. I feel like I have just only dabbled in making cakes but I find that it gives me an outlet for creativity and without that I will go crazy. I work as an Emergency Dispatcher aka 911 operator and when I get home it is hard to unwind from that stress . Who knew that making custom cakes would relax me. I just love it. I mentioned I loved your screen name- I wanted to ask..is Cakefat meant as a noun meaning the fat content in cake, or something else? I would love to know the origin . I think of how funny it would be if Cakefat was a term for a person who loves cake..cuz if so, I am a total Cakefat!icon_biggrin.gif

That's about the same reason why I started doing cakes as well...I have a very stressful job (not like yours of course, but still full of crazy stress) and it was the one thing that I could do and not think about work at all. Also I do a lot of sports/being physically active when I'm free  but I still end up thinking about work..but not with cake or sugar flowers etc. With cakes, all I can think of is getting something perfect...but also it's still a bit stressful as well. Not the same sort of stress as my job or on the same level, but it is certainly a creative release of some kind that I need.

I thought both words "cake" and "fat" just went together perfectly (whether we like it or not).  A cake is full of fats and  If I ate too much cake, I'd get  fat.

And I do love some cake despite the fat!

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 9:34pm
post #93 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot 

I've never understood speculating about what someone is doing when it's just so easy to ask.  I can tell you that in this same situation, I'd just ask what's being done with the cakes and if the answer I got didn't feel right or I didn't like it, I'd stop doing them.  Nothing says that you can't just pay for the hair care, either from her or someone else.

I'm right there with ya Maybenot, but in this instance if she is direct the hair dresser might take it out on her hair.

If she can find out discreetly then she can just start paying for the hair service and tell her she is too busy to make cakes.

Then the hair dresser can't be offended if OP is wrong and she really was giving them to family (not likely)

Or if the hair dresser is guilty, she'd still deny it, but probably would not call her back when her credit ran out and stop trading with her.

She might also not do a good job on her hair after the situation in anger.

smittyditty Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 10:15pm
post #94 of 123

So how'd the convo go with your hairdresser?

shebysuz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebysuz Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 12:06am
post #95 of 123

AI texted her yesterday with something along the lines of " great news! I'm getting a domestic kitchen license which means I will be able to start a side business with my cakes! Now I can actually advertise, hand out business cards, and charge real $$$!" Then I told her I would be able to pay for her services in cash and that of course she would get cake perks if she brought customers my way. ( basically I will bring her some of her favorite cupcakes when I go in to get my hair done). She seemed happy about it, but its hard to tell for sure since it was thru texting. Thank you to everyone who added to this conversation. A lot of good came out of it. It lit a fire under my feet to get my kitchen licensed sooner and not " someday" , and it also resulted in things getting straightened out with the hairdresser. I will probably never know for sure if she was flipping my cakes but at thus point I don't care. The outcome is what's important. Special thanks to Miss Annabakescakes for scrounging up the info on licensing procedures in Oregon. I called and they were super nice and I have an inspector coming out next week to give me a consultation where he will look at my kitchen and advise me on what I need to do before the actual inspection. How cool is that?! I think I will give him a great big boobie hug !:grin:

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 12:20am
post #96 of 123

AWoohoo!

smittyditty Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 12:21am
post #97 of 123

LOL..that is great...until your inspector shows up and she is a female. Congrats.

shebysuz Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 12:28am
post #98 of 123

AHahaha Well played! I already talked with him on the phone so I know he is male.

cakefat Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 1:06am
post #99 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

LOL..that is great...until your inspector shows up and she is a female. Congrats.

haha!

But a big Congratulations on you getting ready to sell your cakes. I know you're going to be very successful because you're cakes are already looking great.

shebysuz Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 1:18am
post #100 of 123

AThank you so much. You all are so supportive and have given me the confidence to take this next step. Its one thing for family and friends to say " thats amazing, you should start a cake business!" But to hear it from other cake goddesses of all skill levels really puts the writing on the wall for me. Really, you ladies are great.

Annabakescakes Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 1:21am
post #101 of 123
Quote:

I texted her yesterday with something along the lines of " great news! I'm getting a domestic kitchen license which means I will be able to start a side business with my cakes! Now I can actually advertise, hand out business cards, and charge real $$$!" Then I told her I would be able to pay for her services in cash and that of course she would get cake perks if she brought customers my way. ( basically I will bring her some of her favorite cupcakes when I go in to get my hair done). She seemed happy about it, but its hard to tell for sure since it was thru texting.
Thank you to everyone who added to this conversation. A lot of good came out of it. It lit a fire under my feet to get my kitchen licensed sooner and not " someday" , and it also resulted in things getting straightened out with the hairdresser. I will probably never know for sure if she was flipping my cakes but at thus point I don't care. The outcome is what's important. Special thanks to Miss Annabakescakes for scrounging up the info on licensing procedures in Oregon. I called and they were super nice and I have an inspector coming out next week to give me a consultation where he will look at my kitchen and advise me on what I need to do before the actual inspection. How cool is that?! I think I will give him a great big boobie hug !icon_biggrin.gif

Hey, I like boobie hugs too, there is just something so comforting about them, BWAHAHAHAHAA

Annabakescakes Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 1:23am
post #102 of 123
Quote:

Thank you so much. You all are so supportive and have given me the confidence to take this next step. Its one thing for family and friends to say " thats amazing, you should start a cake business!" But to hear it from other cake goddesses of all skill levels really puts the writing on the wall for me. Really, you ladies are great.

We were just being honest. Seriously, your cakes are really great. I do not tell that to people who do not have professional cakes. I tell them something else, or just move along!!

cakefat Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 1:58am
post #103 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

We were just being honest. Seriously, your cakes are really great. I do not tell that to people who do not have professional cakes. I tell them something else, or just move along!!

same here.

I see a lot of people selling their cakes on FB (or even here) and they are jacked UP and just messy all over. And people post things like "ohh incredible" "beautiful". I think that is almost as jacked up as the cake looks...only mothers should do that. Also I'm all for positive encouragement but not  out and out fabrications. 

shebysuz Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:29am
post #104 of 123

ok , GROUP BOOBIE HUG! HAHAH !!

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:29am
post #105 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefat 

same here.

I see a lot of people selling their cakes on FB (or even here) and they are jacked UP and just messy all over. And people post things like "ohh incredible" "beautiful". I think that is almost as jacked up as the cake looks...only mothers should do that. Also I'm all for positive encouragement but not  out and out fabrications. 

I see that all the time!!! I just want to poke my eyes out when I see a very messy, uneven, dirty, fingerprinted, booger stained cake and people are saying "You should sell these!" or "You should start your own business I bet you'd make a lot of money".  I have a ton of FB friends and when I post a cake disaster for fun they always say stupid things like that!   Really chaps my hide!

knlcox Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:32am
post #106 of 123

Shebysuz, your hair is beautiful!!  I also grew up in the 80's/90's and had huge teased out hair, too!  Aqua Net was my best friend!  I was really skinny and people said I looked like a lollipop with huge hair and tight jeans! lol 

Annabakescakes Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:49am
post #107 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by knlcox 

Shebysuz, your hair is beautiful!!  I also grew up in the 80's/90's and had huge teased out hair, too!  Aqua Net was my best friend!  I was really skinny and people said I looked like a lollipop with huge hair and tight jeans! lol 

I tell my daughter she looks like a lollipop with her big head, lol! 

Annabakescakes Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:54am
post #108 of 123
Quote:

ok , GROUP BOOBIE HUG! HAHAH !!

Yeah! 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefat 

same here.

I see that all the time!!! I just want to poke my eyes out when I see a very messy, uneven, dirty, fingerprinted, booger stained cake and people are saying "You should sell these!" or "You should start your own business I bet you'd make a lot of money".  I have a ton of FB friends and when I post a cake disaster for fun they always say stupid things like that!   Really chaps my hide!

I see that all the time, I have several FB friends who have cake fiends, and now that facebook shows everything you do, I see where there are comments on cakes that look worse than my first cake, when I was 8. "Oh wow! who made that? I love it!" That is the best.cake.ever!" I really feel like chopped liver, after that!

shebysuz Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 3:34am
post #109 of 123

AOh those nasty , bulging, slumped over boogie stained cakes drive me insane too! It is a crime against Cakedom . I have seen Fb pages from people who supposedly went to pastry school whose cakes look like ass. I wont post any pictures because that would make me mean as a snake, but I just look at these monstrosities and say "yikes" or " oh my!" Beginners are one thing, Lord knows my first few cakes had some serious issues... But these people have them for sale. While I'm at it, my pet peeve is cake pictures with a big mess in the background. Powdered sugar everywhere, can of crisco, dirty dishes, and dirty cake tools strewn about. :-(

shebysuz Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 3:40am
post #110 of 123
Quote:

Thank You! It took a lot of years and a lot of different hairdressers to finally get it right. I also used Aqua Net...the white can with pink writing was my fave. Super extra hold I think it was. What were we thinking!? I teased out the sides really big, then the top as high as I could get it, but we never did anything to the very back so we all looked like freakin aircraft carriers from the side. icon_lol.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 5:30am
post #111 of 123
Quote:

Quote:

Thank You! It took a lot of years and a lot of different hairdressers to finally get it right. I also used Aqua Net...the white can with pink writing was my fave. Super extra hold I think it was. What were we thinking!? I teased out the sides really big, then the top as high as I could get it, but we never did anything to the very back so we all looked like freakin aircraft carriers from the side. icon_lol.gif

That was my mom's peeve with the hair. She would look around at all the crazy teased hair, and ask, "Doesn't anyone realize they have a back to their head?" I must've heard her say it 100 times. lol

knlcox Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 11:54am
post #112 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

That was my mom's peeve with the hair. She would look around at all the crazy teased hair, and ask, "Doesn't anyone realize they have a back to their head?" I must've heard her say it 100 times. lol

Oh I did tease the back! I looked like a lollipop from all the way around!  I didn't like the halo look a lot of girls wore back then. Maybe a bonnet look, not a halo.   LOL  I absolutely hate looking at my pics from high school!!  I couldn't believe my parents let me leave the house that way!!  Actually, nevermind that last comment. I have a 17 year old who has hair down his back and shaves the sides of his head and I let him leave the house looking just like that.  Haha! 

knlcox Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 12:07pm
post #113 of 123
Quote:

Oh those nasty , bulging, slumped over boogie stained cakes drive me insane too! It is a crime against Cakedom . I have seen Fb pages from people who supposedly went to pastry school whose cakes look like ass. I wont post any pictures because that would make me mean as a snake, but I just look at these monstrosities and say "yikes" or " oh my!" Beginners are one thing, Lord knows my first few cakes had some serious issues... But these people have them for sale. While I'm at it, my pet peeve is cake pictures with a big mess in the background. Powdered sugar everywhere, can of crisco, dirty dishes, and dirty cake tools strewn about. icon_sad.gif

I am all for beginners starting out and not noticing details and stuff.  Heck when I first started coming to this site years ago I noticed how clean other cakes were compared to mine.  I just NEVER tried selling them! lol  And everyone would look at my photo and say how beautiful and wonderful it was.  I could show you my very first cake ever! Everyone raved over it and said I should become a decorator. I knew better! CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 85

This is the cake that everyone said "beautiful" or "You should sell these!!"  or "OMG!!"  Haha. This was years ago.  Imagine trying to sell that? 

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 12:32pm
post #114 of 123
Quote:

I am all for beginners starting out and not noticing details and stuff.  Heck when I first started coming to this site years ago I noticed how clean other cakes were compared to mine.  I just NEVER tried selling them! lol  And everyone would look at my photo and say how beautiful and wonderful it was.  I could show you my very first cake ever! Everyone raved over it and said I should become a decorator. I knew better! CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 85

This is the cake that everyone said "beautiful" or "You should sell these!!"  or "OMG!!"  Haha. This was years ago.  Imagine trying to sell that? 

Well your customer there seems very satisfied with it! That's all that matters lol...(but I think you have a flat tire...lol)

shebysuz Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 1:29pm
post #115 of 123
Quote:

The little feller looks mighty happy with it! How long ago was this cake? When I first started making cakes, a friend hinted that I should make her son a Lightning McQueen cake. Her kid's Birthday was only a few days away and I started back peddling saying that I would need more time to gather special decorating ingredients, dry run a few techniques and that it takes time to figure out a design plan. She just looked at me and said "well, you can use M& M's for the headlights and those little candy eyeballs for the eyes!" DOH! Yeah, and I can also slap some oreos on for wheels and use a butter knife to frost it and I will be done! Yay! All snarkiness aside, the cake in the photo is exactly like the ones my mom used to make for us kids while we were growing up, so I think it's cute in a retro-chic kind of way!!!thumbs_up.gif

BatterUpCake Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 1:34pm
post #116 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebysuz "well, you can use M& M's for the headlights and those little candy eyeballs for the eyes!" " Wow...it sounds like you have it all figured out! You should totally make it!!! Send me pictures when you are done!" in your sweetest, most complimentary voice possible
smittyditty Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:03pm
post #117 of 123

This is one of my cake wrecks...Poor grover with no arms. They fell off and look at that horrid wrinkling around the cake. This was for cake class not a customer.

BatterUpCake Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:31pm
post #118 of 123

LMAO....I'm sorry but armless Grover made me laugh...As well as the fact that he is jumping out of a cake like an old time stripper. Thanks for sharing...I needed a grin. "You've come a long way, Baby" old advert slogan but very fitting

knlcox Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 4:21pm
post #119 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

LMAO....I'm sorry but armless Grover made me laugh...As well as the fact that he is jumping out of a cake like an old time stripper. Thanks for sharing...I needed a grin. "You've come a long way, Baby" old advert slogan but very fitting

Old time stripper!!  LOL!!!

knlcox Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 4:22pm
post #120 of 123

He was very happy! The tires ended up totally flat but I didn't care to notice at the time.  That cake was about 4 years ago.  Really, I'm thinking about redoing that cake just to see how well it comes out now.  lol  Maybe not much better considering it's buttercream and my tires may just go flat again! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%