Something Fishy Going On..should I Care?

Decorating By shebysuz Updated 15 Nov 2013 , 4:02pm by shebysuz

shebysuz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebysuz Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 8:27pm
post #31 of 123

* here you go. Keep in mind that my natural hair color is mousey brown and a frizzy gross mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Since there is mixed reviews, I vote you show us your hair, and the hair of your children, to see if this is worth it or not icon_wink.gif you can post a new thread, and add a survey where people can vote yea or nay... Just kidding. I do want to see you hair, though!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 10:02pm
post #32 of 123

A

Original message sent by shebysuz

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3058663/]* [/URL] here you go. Keep in mind that my natural hair color is mousey brown and a frizzy gross mess.

[QUOTE name="Annabakescakes" url="/t/761218/something-fishy-going-on-should-i-care/15#post_7418494"] Since there is mixed reviews, I vote you show us your hair, and the hair of your children, to see if this is worth it or not :wink: you can post a new thread, and add a survey where people can vote yea or nay... Just kidding. I do want to see you hair, though![/QUOTE]

Omg! You're dead ***y! Don't rock the boat!

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 10:21pm
post #33 of 123
Quote:

Since there is mixed reviews, I vote you show us your hair, and the hair of your children, to see if this is worth it or not icon_wink.gif you can post a new thread, and add a survey where people can vote yea or nay... Just kidding. I do want to see you hair, though!

LMAO!!!! Best answer yet!

This lady does not seem like the typical "GutterbuttGayle" you speak of but this picture immediately cake to mind:

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 10:52pm
post #34 of 123

Here is the deal ..I don't like confrontations either however I think you can nip this in the butt without being rude or obvious.

1. Find a way to mark the cake drum with your name and phone number that isn't removable.

Food Stamp into fondant cake board, Write on fondant with edible marker.

2. Then tell hairdresser you want to start doing cakes on the side. That you still like the arrangement you have but that you also want to make more cakes for these customers. Ask her then for the list of people and phone numbers. Just tell her you are sure they have extended family you might also be able to sell cakes too to help make more cash.

3. Then the next time she orders a cake do #1. She won't be able to remove it without the cake looking ridiculous with your name and phone number taken off. She can't just stick a sticker over it or peel your sticker off. If she blows you off with #2 like she will get to it, because she is really a cake snake, it will bite her in the butt the next order.

You should be able to gain your answer from her response after #2 and if that doesn't set it straight her face seeing the imprinted info on the cake board will seal the deal.

By the way yes your hair rocks..again this is a way to do it so she has no one but her self to be upset with and you still get great hair!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 10:59pm
post #35 of 123

AI would NEVER try to be sneaky with a label. If the cake is paid for (cash or bartered services) then it's up to the customer what she does with it and none of my business. If it were true she was trying to pass a cake off as her own work, humiliating her by putting your label underneath might earn you another mullet cut.

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 11:27pm
post #36 of 123

A

Original message sent by BrandisBaked

I would NEVER try to be sneaky with a label. If the cake is paid for (cash or bartered services) then it's up to the customer what she does with it and none of my business. If it were true she was trying to pass a cake off as her own work, humiliating her by putting your label underneath might earn you another mullet cut.

Definitely something to keep in mind. I really think your hair looks great, and I know good haircuts are expensive, as are good highlights and lowlights. In all honesty, I would say your hair looks very high end, and just perfect for your face and complexion. I would not make this lady mad for any reason. Not joking!

You are "paying yourself" a decent hourly wage for your cakes, and sounds like you know what a cakes costs. She sounds like she is giving you the value of the cakes, you are just skipping the cash part, since she needs cake and you need her services, since you don't need mousy frizzy hair, nor do you need an orange mullet.

She is not really out much material to do hair and highlights, but the cost of the ingredients isn't hardly even a factor in what we do, either. This lady has skills, and that is a huge factor! I would be willing to bet you would pay what she asks for her to do your hair, even if the cost went up, if you had it, so having her pay the $20- $50 most cakes cost is isn't really a world changer.

You could always ask her to pay what the retail cost of the cake is, and fork over the dough for your cuts and color, but I really don't know why you would.

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 11:30pm
post #37 of 123

ABy the way, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE your arrangement! I would go for it in an instant, and not care what she did with the cake, if she sold it, or wore it or sat in the closet and ate it all by herself. I would do the same for lawn mowing, or pool care, or getting a deck built, or house cleaning.

smittyditty Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 11:41pm
post #38 of 123

I didn't say HIDE the label...lol

I said put it clearly on the cake board like in a corner. From what I'm reading the OP already puts a sticker on the board as is.

Which the hairdresser could pull off if she was a cake snake. I'm saying talk to the hairdresser first but be prepared with a cake stamp and edible pen before talking to her so you are prepared for the next order.

If she already talked to the hair dresser and told her she wanted to start her own business its not deceptive. 

It was already clearly communicated. I would only mark the board after talking to the hairdresser and the hairdresser was in approval. The hairdresser is she is a cake snake will not be honest and say yes I'm selling your cakes. She will probably make some excuse of oh they are random customers or they are just my family that is all they need. Then OP could say well they might know someone else who needs a cake and I'm just going to start my business up..yada yada...if you know anyone who needs cake let me know.

The OP can still mark her boards its her business and she gave the hairdresser an option to tell the truth.

The hairdresser won't give her a mullet because

1. She wouldn't get anymore cakes to sell.

2. She will think that the OP is still clueless to her plan.

The hairdresser will just have to get crafty in transferring cakes to new cake boards if she is really determined.

smittyditty Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 11:43pm
post #39 of 123

I'm only posting an idea against the trade because the OP said it did bother her.

While I love her hair if it bothers her,  why not find out in a way to solve her worry.

shebysuz Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 12:04am
post #40 of 123

AYou all are awesome. I am loving hearing different opinions on this matter. You all crack me up too. Thanks for the compliments on my hair . I always had really bad hair so it's nice to hear!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 12:16am
post #41 of 123

AWhy not just ask her what event the next cake is for?

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 12:38am
post #42 of 123

okay yes your highlights are looking pretty kick a**!!

I'd probably keep the arrangement too, especially if it's frequent but I would ask her one day very casually (but not when she's doing your hair) about it....just to let her know that you're aware something is not right.

That way all the dodgy, shadiness of it is out in the open on your part...now whether or not she'll admit to it...that's another story I guess...but I would casually bring it up.

Annabakescakes Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 1:22am
post #43 of 123

AI am on my phone so I can't see if you have pictures posted, but wouldn't it be funny if you had some really shoddy looking cakes, and she was your biggest fan, and the one getting the bum deal? Lmbo! ;-)

cakefat Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 1:27am
post #44 of 123
Quote:

I am on my phone so I can't see if you have pictures posted, but wouldn't it be funny if you had some really shoddy looking cakes, and she was your biggest fan, and the one getting the bum deal? Lmbo! icon_wink.gif

hahaha! That would be awesome!!

no offense to the OP's cakes at all  but just because your hair is looking great..and I don't know what your cakes look like.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 2:36am
post #45 of 123

Wish I cld find a hair dresser that likes cake that much. Just as I can't afford my own cakes I can't afford a good hair  dresser either.

Annabakescakes Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 2:49am
post #46 of 123

A

Original message sent by cakefat

[QUOTE name="Annabakescakes" url="/t/761218/something-fishy-going-on-should-i-care/30#post_7418685"] I am on my phone so I can't see if you have pictures posted, but wouldn't it be funny if you had some really shoddy looking cakes, and she was your biggest fan, and the one getting the bum deal? Lmbo! :wink: [/QUOTE]

hahaha! That would be awesome!!

no offense to the OP's cakes at all  but just because your hair is looking great..and I don't know what your cakes look like.

I seriously think it would be funnier, and much better if she had bad looking cakes, since her hair is so gorgeous, and expensive looking ;-) No offense!

Shebysuz: Now we need to see a picture of your cakes! lol

shebysuz Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 2:56am
post #47 of 123

AWell my cakes aren't shoddy but they aren't professional either. I would classify them as very good beginner cakes. I never even touched fondant until my son's Birthday 2 years ago. I haven't had time to take classes since I have a heavy work schedule but I feel like each cake I do I learn something. I have done under 20 cakes and half of those have been for the hairdresser! I take pics of all my cakes but I don't post them anymore. I did post my first handful of cakes because I felt proud of them but now I look back and get embarrassed at all the flaws so I recently removed them. Some of my cakes made it to Pinterest but that really doesn't say much because I have seen some fugly cakes there with captions such as " want!"" or " awesome cake"! Makes me lol

Annabakescakes Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 3:19am
post #48 of 123

A

Original message sent by shebysuz

Well my cakes aren't shoddy but they aren't professional either. I would classify them as very good beginner cakes. I never even touched fondant until my son's Birthday 2 years ago. I haven't had time to take classes since I have a heavy work schedule but I feel like each cake I do I learn something. I have done under 20 cakes and half of those have been for the hairdresser! I take pics of all my cakes but I don't post them anymore. I did post my first handful of cakes because I felt proud of them but now I look back and get embarrassed at all the flaws so I recently removed them. Some of my cakes made it to Pinterest but that really doesn't say much because I have seen some fugly cakes there with captions such as " want!"" or " awesome cake"! Makes me lol

Oh, come on! I want to see your two best cakes :-)

If you want honest feed back, you can post them here http://cakecentral.com/t/755127/peer-review-cake-club/285 and we will tell you how to improve them. Or, I can give you my email address ;-)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 3:19am
post #49 of 123

I haven't read all the replies yet, so if this has already been suggestioned I'm sorry to repeat it.  If you really want to find out if she is selling/flipping YOUR cakes this is what you do:

.........get a stamp that says "proudly baked and decorated by such-and-such.......

Others have done this in the past. Have business cards made up and tape/glue them on the cake boaqrd (cover w/plastic wrap or somesuch) then put the cake on that.  When the the cake is served they will find out what she has been doing.

shebysuz Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 3:36am
post #50 of 123

Sorry for all the grainy cell pics...

My second fondant cake for my daughter. Now I cringe at the rounded corners...

This Toy Story Cake was my first fondant cake and I made tons of mistakes, including using non crusting buttercream under fondant and  not using cutters for the letters. Sloppy but my kid loved it!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 3:41am
post #51 of 123

AI'd be concerned about liability too if she is reselling them,and if you do decide to get legal I really would reconsider this arrangement once you have a business up and running. If I were you I'd just put a sticker on the box when you deliver the next cake, somewhere that she's going to see it but not be able to remove it easily, and see if she says anything. You can just say you're trying them out if she asks. Maybe she has a lot of family and she likes to always give the cake as her gift. Who knows!

Annabakescakes Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 3:48am
post #52 of 123

ADarn it! Your cakes are really GOOD! ;-)The first are a little shaky but better than some people's who are in business for 5 years or more. (I see it everyday.)

You have a natural talent and ability, and your hairdresser is getting a great deal, as well! You are really doing top of the line cakes, in my area you could charge about $3.50 -$4 for buttercream and $4.25- $5 a serving! Heck, you are better than me, and I have done thousands of cakes!

Annabakescakes Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 3:51am
post #53 of 123

AOh, and you can still using non-crusting buttercrema under fondant, you just have to refrigerate or freeze until it hardens, then wet it down a bit, so the fondant sticks, but the cake doesn't lose it's shape.

You are DEFINITELY at a PROFESSIONAL LEVEL. Sorry to shout, but you need to hear it!

Ugh, I hate/love how wonderful your figures are! WAY better than mine! WAY WAY WAY better. Truly excellent, and I don't give false praise.

shebysuz Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 3:57am
post #54 of 123

AAnnabakescakes , I like you. Not just cuz ya like my hair ( and my cakes) but because you are honest and upfront and a real Tell It Like it Is kind of broad! And I mean broad as a term of endearment! Thanks for the confidence boost. Everyone needs a little " bird seed" now and then. I really like the conversations in this forum. I think I will stick around.:grin:

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 3:59am
post #55 of 123

I have a different take on this subject.  She's either giving the cakes to close family members or she's trying to get into the cake business by passing off your creations as her own while building up her client base.  And when she gets her business under way -  with your cakes, she'll walk off with your potential customers.    I predict that her cake orders will escalate in value over time.  Easy money for her.  You do all the work - she charges her customers what you should have, and pockets the money.  Must be all this heat, lots of negativity today.  Tomorrow should be better  :-)

shebysuz Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 4:05am
post #56 of 123

AAnnabakes I had no idea you could use non crusting BC under fondant. Thanks! I really do appreciate your kind words. I am not used to other women being so nice and non competitive. I think women should always celebrate, uplift , and encourage eachother instead of tear eachother down. Thanks for being a true authentic woman!

shebysuz Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 4:10am
post #57 of 123

ADeniseNH , that is exactly what my hubby is telling me! It is probably the worst case scenario but it is a very valid point.

cakefat Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 4:20am
post #58 of 123

your cakes are great!!! Not shoddy at all even on the worst day! And so much nicer than a lot of 'professional' cake businesses you see on FB or wherever. 

well...it looks like it's a win-win situation. And a girl's gotta have good hair- and you do!

But I would probably still bring it up very very casually, just to let her know you may suspect something is shady.

I mean- really- how many cakes can this woman eat?? That alone is suspect unless she's a cake addict. 

cakefat Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 4:22am
post #59 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH 

I have a different take on this subject.  She's either giving the cakes to close family members or she's trying to get into the cake business by passing off your creations as her own while building up her client base.  And when she gets her business under way -  with your cakes, she'll walk off with your potential customers.    I predict that her cake orders will escalate in value over time.  Easy money for her.  You do all the work - she charges her customers what you should have, and pockets the money.  Must be all this heat, lots of negativity today.  Tomorrow should be better  :-)

ohhh very good point. I agree completely with DeniseNH!

I'd start searching for a new hair dresser just to be safe. 

shebysuz Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 4:23am
post #60 of 123

AThanks cakefat! By the way, I love your screen name.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%