How Do I Cover A Plastic Doll Torso?

Decorating By justmikey Updated 19 Jul 2013 , 3:08am by Annabakescakes

justmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justmikey Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 4

Should I use Fondant, Gum paste or molding chocolate?

My sister an I are working on a bridal shower cake and the Bride has requested a cake similar to the Hen Party cake from here: http://www.strawberrylanecakecompany.com/blog/read_51040/Cakes-for-April.html (6th image down from top)

Whats the best way to go about covering the torso? I tried black fondant but after 3 attempts i still get creases and seams in the back instead of a nice smooth finish all around.  Also do you think it is possible to get away with molding the form for dress out of RKT and lay fondant on top for dress and still keep the shape and smoothness?

Thanks

Michael

3 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 4

AI made two like that, several years apart. Both times I first tried rolling the black fondant out and draping it around the torso. That didn't work and I got very frustrated. Finally I just took a large chunk of the fondant and just squished it on, pushing it down and around, then pulling the extra off the bottom. Worked great. I just used my fingers, palm, and a piece of scrap fondant to smooth it out.

justmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justmikey Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 3:03am
post #3 of 4

AThanks. That's what I was planning to try next.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 3:08am
post #4 of 4

A

Original message sent by SecretAgentCakeBaker

I made two like that, several years apart. Both times I first tried rolling the black fondant out and draping it around the torso. That didn't work and I got very frustrated. Finally I just took a large chunk of the fondant and just squished it on, pushing it down and around, then pulling the extra off the bottom. Worked great. I just used my fingers, palm, and a piece of scrap fondant to smooth it out.

Wow, that sounds pretty aggressive ;-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%