Postponing 1St Bday Party Due To Rain, What About Cake....thoughts On Timeline?

Decorating By jess605 Updated 19 Jul 2013 , 12:05am by as you wish

jess605 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess605 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 3

My little guy's first bday party is this Sat with a rain date of Sun.  IT looks like the party will likely be Sun as thunderstorms are expected.

I'm making a 3 tier cake.  Cake was baked last week, wrapped in press and seal plastic wrap and frozen.  YEsterday I took cakes out of the freezer, still wrapped and popped them into the fridge.  Last night, I unwrapped and filled them but didn't crumb coat.  I then re-wrapped with press and seal plastic wrap and put back into the fridge to settle (so right now all the cake surface is covered to hopefully keep them from drying out).  I was planning to crumb coat and cover in fondant tonight, decorate tomorrow and serve Sat.

Postponing the party will mean the cakes are in the fridge another day.  If I crumb coat tonight and put them back into the fridge, then cover with fondant and decorate on Sat and serve on Sun they should still be okay right?

Working full time and having a 3yr old and almost 1yr old at home means that my cakes never get completed in just one day, lol!

2 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 3

Take them out of the fridge. It will make them more stale than if they were sitting on the bench. Also, I believe that it's useless to let cakes settle in the fridge. I only make very dense cakes, and it's not the same, but I believe that the cake needs to settle at room temp.

They should be fine until Sunday.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 12:05am
post #3 of 3

AGo with your original timeline of having the cake ready for Saturday. It will be just fine waiting one more day all decorated. And yes, take it out of the fridge. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%