Delivery 2 Hours Away? Help!

Decorating By sweetchariot Updated 19 Jul 2013 , 11:09pm by sweetchariot

sweetchariot Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 6:46am
post #1 of 5

I am a fairly new home baker and am trying to figure out how to transport my cakes for delivery. I have a third row Chevy Traverse and I have put it in a cake box in the back  with the seats down and just put stuff around it to stop it from sliding. I have recently used baskets to put the cakes in and transported it in that manner. The baskets were cool looking (kinda rural feeling) and with convenient handles but they are baskets with sides that don't come down, so it was difficult to get the cakes out. How do you transport your cakes? Do you have any devices you use or have built? Thank you! Pics if you are able!

I am maybe going to make a cake and deliver it about two hours away with God knows what kind of terrain. So I would like to prepare for that trip

4 replies
Smckinney07 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 7:04am
post #2 of 5

AIt depends on the cake and the decorations, I use non skid mats in my cake box (underneath the cake board so it doesn't slide around in the box) and I line the back seat with it as well. It should be on a flat surface and again depending on the size, shape, I will either drive with them unstacked in their own boxes or if constructed a tall box that's not much wider then the bottom tier with one side cut off (so the cake can slide out) and taped back on. Everything should be covered so it's protected. I've seen people use a tall dowell rod that sticks up through the box top (sort of like a homemade cake safe) but I've never tried that.

sweetchariot Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 7:14am
post #3 of 5

Oh thanks a ton! I never thought of doing that with the no slip under the cakeboard. I have used buttercream to keep the cake adhered to the cake board, but I am afraid it will slide off that too. SO tons of no slip stuff. Check! Thanks!

Smckinney07 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 8:00am
post #4 of 5

AThe BC will keep the cake attached to the board, if your worried use some melted chocolate or royal icing. I meant the nonskid under the board, so it's between the board and the box. Then I use it under the box as well lol confused yet?! So flat surface in car, nonskid mat, box, more nonskid mat (this is not really necessary I just do it because I'm weird), baseboard, chocolate/BC/royal icing, cardboard round, BC, cake. I hope that makes sense :) I wouldn't let the nonskid touch the actual cake though.

sweetchariot Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your time! Makes perfect sense : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%