Cheesecake Corset Cake

Decorating By mrsgreshcakes Updated 18 Jul 2013 , 3:26am by liz at sugar

mrsgreshcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsgreshcakes Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 1:12am
post #1 of 7

I'm calling out to all of those who have much more experience than I for help with this cake.  I have a customer who wants a corset cake, but make out of cheesecake.  Is this even possible?

My concerns:

1.  Carving

2.  Fondant vs. Buttercream (with the fact that refrigeration will be necessary)

3.  Boobs

My brain is "stuck on stupid" and know that there's a solution, but I'm not reaching it at this point.  

Help!

Thanks,

Nicole

6 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 1:38am
post #2 of 7

AYou need a firm cake for carving, I don't recommend using a cheesecake it will turn into a mushy mess and I can't imagine a cheesecake that could withstand the weight of fondant. You could make a cheesecake filling between the cake layers, you could add cheesecake flavoring or cheesecake flavored yogurt to a vanilla cake, you can make some cheesecake bites to serve on the side lol.

Refrigerating a fondant covered cake is a much debated topic, some people do it others won't. It can and should be refrigerated if you have a perishable filling. I cover my cakes in BC or ganache then cover with fondant, I've refrigerated before with no problems. You can use a mini wonder mold pan for the upper part of your cake, two mini rounds, or carve if you don't have either.

mrsgreshcakes Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 1:47am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckinney07 

You need a firm cake for carving, I don't recommend using a cheesecake it will turn into a mushy mess and I can't imagine a cheesecake that could withstand the weight of fondant.
You could make a cheesecake filling between the cake layers, you could add cheesecake flavoring or cheesecake flavored yogurt to a vanilla cake, you can make some cheesecake bites to serve on the side lol.

Refrigerating a fondant covered cake is a much debated topic, some people do it others won't. It can and should be refrigerated if you have a perishable filling. I cover my cakes in BC or ganache then cover with fondant, I've refrigerated before with no problems. You can use a mini wonder mold pan for the upper part of your cake, two mini rounds, or carve if you don't have either.

Thanks so much for the input!  They are stuck on a cheesecake - I've tried everything conceivable, so it would have to be an extremely dense one.  I will throw out the disclaimer to them that cheesecake isn't very stable and they are taking a chance with ordering it.

I was thinking maybe using two heart shaped pans, frosted in ganache so it sets up and then a very light fondant layer.  The chest would have to be cake.

I refrigerated a top layer of a wedding cake because the couple wanted a perishable filling for their take-home tier and as long as I didn't touch the fondant before the condensation went away, it was okay.

My other option is ganache only and a very stead hand.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 1:59am
post #4 of 7

Be the professional and tell them no, we don't carve cheesecakes, just because you thought it up doesn't mean it is possible.

Honestly, people, quit telling customers you can do anything they want, at any time.  It isn't realistic, and when it all goes to hell, the only person who gets the blame is the cake maker, not the idiot customers who dream up this cr*p.

Liz

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 2:23am
post #5 of 7

ALiz you crack me up! Very true!

I would not give them a disclaimer, I would simply explain that it won't be structurally sound. As Liz stated, you will be the one getting blamed when it falls apart.

I understand making the cheesecakes in a heart shaped pan will give you a corsette type figure so you can avoid carving but placing one cheesecake on top of another even with ganache isn't realistic in my mind. To me a good cheesecake melts in your mouth. Ganache sets firm but it has limits, and cheesecake at room temp will collapse.

I'm certainly not a cheesecake expert but I really think you are setting yourself up for major problems and I'd hate for that to happen!

mrsgreshcakes Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 2:52am
post #6 of 7

Liz and Smckinney07,

Thanks for the feedback and the pep talk.  I'll let her know that I can't do it - I haven't completely committed to her, but I did tell her that I would look into it.

Thanks again,

Nicole

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 3:26am
post #7 of 7

Nicole - I promise you that your customers will have more faith in your abilities when you set limits and tell them what is possible and what isn't.  Might they be disappointed?  Sure, but you are the professional and it is your job to provide options that will work.

Sorry if I sounded snarky earlier, but the things people come up with floor me. :) 

Liz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%