Sagging Cakes

Decorating By md21010 Updated 18 Jul 2013 , 6:36am by sweetchariot

md21010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
md21010 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 5

ANot quite sure how to fix this prob. My cakes have been sagging hours after its been finished. By the time the get delivered or shortly after the cake has sagged at the bottom and looks terrible on display. Idl how to fix it. Could it be the weather?

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 12:02am
post #2 of 5

Please tell us about your icing( buttercream, etc. and then we can help you. Thank you Tell us how you put your layers together, etc.

md21010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
md21010 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 12:05am
post #3 of 5

AThank you! It was a chocolate nutella cake, Nutella buttercream filling and chocolate ganach under the fondant. I'm thinking my fondant was to thick but not sure.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 1:47am
post #4 of 5

Fondant can weigh a cake down. Are you giving time to let your cakes settle before fondanting them? I let mine sit 5 hours which works fine in my hot kitchen. Others place a tile or something on top and let that sit for a certain period.

Sometimes humidity and or/soft fondants can stretch and then make the sides buckle. It's very humid where I live, so I keep an eye on that. I will leave maybe an eight of an inch between the bottom of the fondant and the base so there's some room if it stretches. You may have to watch it and trim more off so you don't get  the buckling. Sometimes I let it sit a couple of hours before attaching any trim so I can cut off more if need be.

Pics would help if you have them.

sweetchariot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetchariot Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 6:36am
post #5 of 5

Yes settle the cake with something heavy on it. And I have heard the same about trimming it up a bit higher than the base to allow for settling. Also if you overfill your layers it might cause some of that trouble. I have been experiencing that because I LOVE frosting and just want to put as much of it in the middle as I can, but then the cake gets lumpy or saggy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%