Jenna1588 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:20pm
post #1 of

AI just watched a tutorial on YouTube about using lustre dust and alcohol of some form, vodka/lemon/vanilla. Could I use lemon flavouring? Had a look at ingredients and it has alcohol and natural lemon oil. And why can't it be mixed with water?

Thank you :)

12 replies
shanter Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:22pm
post #2 of

The alcohol makes it dry faster.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:27pm
post #3 of

ADo a test with water and a scrap piece of fondant. The dust will either not mix well with the water, or it will not dry well.

You can use lemon extract, but it will leave a lemon flavor, and if it is not clear, could affect the color. You can get a tiny bottle of vodka at a liquor shop. I think it is about $2. It has a higher percentage of alcohol than the extract and will dry faster.

Jenna1588 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:34pm
post #4 of

AOh what a plum! I had thought about buying some vodka but was thinking I don't want to pay £6/7. Forgot you can buy the really small ones like you get at Xmas in gift sets. Thanks.

I will do a tester as you said.

Thanks for your reply. Always someone helpful around! :)

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:37pm
post #5 of

AIf you do a test, please let us know the results. Thanks!

Jenna1588 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 9:01pm
post #6 of

AIt has gone OK with lemon. Was too bold and had black dots when mixed with water. Lemon is a bit strong but its not up to me if they want to eat it lol

Dianella Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 5:15pm
post #7 of

AHi! I Know everybody recomends vodka, vainilla or lemon extract to dissolve the luster dust, but here a can't find the extract and I saw I don't remember where that we can use also the normal alcohol to dissolve it, it's that true or something can happen?

Thanks

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 5:23pm
post #8 of

what is normal alcohol? in my state i can use everclear which is egregiously potent alcohol--vodka can be used as you said--but what is normal alcohol--you can also use bourbon or anything like that -- you can get lemon extract at the grocery store-- are you in the states?

Dianella Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 5:39pm
post #9 of

ATo normal alcohol I refer to the one that we also use for medical purpose, That's why I have the question because I saw someone using it but I'm not sure if that's okay. And I'm from Costa Rica.

morganchampagne Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 5:49pm

ANo no no no no no!! Rubbing alcohol is not food. You really need to use an extract or drinking alcohol

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 6:17pm

The vast majority of rubbing alcohol is 140-proof isopropanol (the exceptions are generally "SD" grades of ethanol, i.e., ethanol that's been denatured with something other than methanol).

There is also 192-proof isopropanol, typically used for cleaning and disinfecting.

Ethanol makes you drunk

Isopropanol, I'm told (by Isaac Asimov, in The World of Carbon, and in addition to being a science fiction writer and a humor theorist, he was also a professor of biochemistry), generally never reaches a toxic level in the bloodstream because (1) it has a taste that Asimov described, as I recall, as "beastly," and (2) as soon as it hits your digestive system, it causes violent nausea and vomiting.

Methanol will make you blind, crazy, and dead. Again according to Asimov: the same process by which the liver converts ethanol into comparatively innocuous acetaldehyde turns methanol into formaldehyde. To coin a phrase, definitely not good eats.

Probably best to stick with vodka, if you need an alcohol-based solvent for something that's going to be eaten.

pastrypet Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 8:08pm

you could probably use gin, since it is clear, but you might get a little juniper taste.

Dianella Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 3:03pm

AThank you for all the responses that's why I was confused about if using it or not jeje so I'm going to try with vodka.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%