Silicone Onlays - Marvelous Molds

Decorating By ckeel127 Updated 22 Jul 2014 , 12:51pm by MKC

ckeel127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckeel127 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone tried using these molds with buttercream as the base?  I purchased my onlays and as very excited to use them but was having trouble removing my fondant from the mold without stretching it's shape.  I was trying to put them on a buttercream cake I had and it was only "hacking" my buttercream (even though the cake was chilled).  Does anyone have any tricks or tips I could use?  I really want to use them but got a little frustrated when I tried decorating my cake.  Took the wind right from under me.

Help!!!!

Thanks!

5 replies
MamaMaggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMaggie Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 6

I believe that the trick is to give a good dusting of cornstarch on to the mold before you apply the fondant. Try a few practice runs before you apply to your cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 6

or pearl dust -- chill the mold and fondant for a few --

but i've never used mm -- but this is how it can be done in other molds i've used

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaMaggie 

I believe that the trick is to give a good dusting of cornstarch on to the mold before you apply the fondant. Try a few practice runs before you apply to your cake.

This is what I do. Good luck, the effect is gorgeous.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

or pearl dust -- chill the mold and fondant for a few --

but i've never used mm -- but this is how it can be done in other molds i've used

i mean chill for just a few like maybe 3 minutes after you put the fondant in the mold -- the silicone will still be it's pliable self and the fondant will be a leetle bit stiff not as apt to stretch

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 6

AYes chill and maybe add some gumpaste to your fondant. It will make the fondant stronger. Some use a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%