My First Disaster!

Decorating By mariak Updated 17 Jul 2013 , 8:15pm by Smckinney07

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 12

I made a slot machine cake for a friend of a friend. I used a 10 inch square cake and cute it into 4 5x5 squares. I stacked the four squares, 2 layers then a board with dowels and then 2 more layers. Then I put one long dowel through the entire cake and even had it pushed down into the cake board. I was very happy with the way the cake turned out and boxed it up. Since it was so tall I had a box without a top. The box came up over half way up the cake. I drove almost 20 minutes away to meet the women with the cake in the back of my 15 passenger van which can get very bumpy. When I got there the cake was still perfect and everything looked great. She loved the cake and payed me and I just told her like I always do everyone to make sure the cake is on a  flat surface. I saw her put the cake on the floor in the front seat and then leave. My friend calls me about an hour later because she had just gotten a text from the women. The lady wanted to know how I could have possible gotten the cake from my house in the back of my van because as soon as she went around a turn the cake tipped over completely fell apart and was ruined. I was shocked!  I felt terrible but I feel like she had to have been driving like a mad women because if it survived my van which can be pretty scary it should have been fine in her car. Am I right or did I do something wrong in the construction process. I don't ever want this to happen again.Thanks

11 replies
as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 12

AIn my opinion, they either pay for delivery or they take responsibility for whatever happens once the cake leaves your hands. You did your part well; you can't guarantee against careless driving.

Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 12

^^^This^^^

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 12

AI'm not sure what kind of car she has and in all honesty I don't know much about cars in general, but in my car the passenger side floor isn't flat. I would have given her some non skid matting and placed it in a safe spot in the car for her and told her to drive carefully (even though that should be implied). Did you need to use that in your car?

What kind of dowels did you use? If it survived your car ride I can't imagine you set it up wrong or poorly. Usually if I have a problem it starts in my house or in my car after about 5min. If it happened right after she turned the corner why didn't she call you immediately to meet back up?

If someone picks up a cake rather then having me deliver it, I have them sign something relieving me of responsibility but a larger cake like that I would have insisted on delivering it. How much farther did she have to drive? If I wasn't far away I would go back and do what I could to repair it but I just don't understand why she didn't call right after it happened.

I'm sorry this happened to you!

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 12

I did not use any mats under the cake but I do la a large beach towel to cover the floor of my van to protect against any dirt or dust. I did offer to put the cake in the trunk for her but she had it full of stuff. She had about 20 minutes to drive but said it happened on the first turn which makes me think she turned really hard. I asked my friend if it could be repaired and she said it completely fell apart. I never got any pictures and she never asked for money back. Even if the cake tipped it should have hit the side nof the box and it shouldn't have completely fell apart.

scwright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scwright Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 12

LOL @ "driving like a mad woman", why didn't she just have you deliver it? I have a disclaimer in my invoice and always bring a copy with me for them to initial once cake has been delivered/set up or in your case has left my location.

Use this from on:

"While it is generally not a problem for clients to transport smaller cakes, self-transporting any cake is at your own risk. [your company name] does not recommend clients self-transport 3-D / sculptural cakes, cakes over 2 tiers tall, or transport any cake for more than 3 hours. Customer is responsible for all damage to the cake once picked up or delivered. Any corrections will be at an additional charge, which may include mileage & time to location."

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 12

Front seat floors on cars aren't flat at all.  They may look flat, but they are not.  I love the flat back of my SUV.  I don't allow cake pick-up, it's just not in my customer's best interest.  It is her problem, not yours.  Once a cake is moved from the baker, it's moved, done deal.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 12

First of all, I wouldn't do any discussions through a third party.

It sounds well supported to me, and strange that it could make it in your vehicle but not hers. I would insist on pictures before anything else.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 12

Yeah, not your fault! Where are you in Kentucky? I am in KY too!

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 12

AThe amount of people who pick up cakes and place them on the car seat or pass them to their kid to hold on their lap is astounding to me. I can't imagine what they are thinking. (Yes, I advise on how to safely transport it, but I can't force stupidity out of them!) I think these are the same types of people you see flying down the highway with a mattress tied to the roof of their car and their hand out the window holding the front end down. Or the seagull feeders. :D

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish 

The amount of people who pick up cakes and place them on the car seat or pass them to their kid to hold on their lap is astounding to me. I can't imagine what they are thinking. (Yes, I advise on how to safely transport it, but I can't force stupidity out of them!) I think these are the same types of people you see flying down the highway with a mattress tied to the roof of their car and their hand out the window holding the front end down. Or the seagull feeders. icon_biggrin.gif

hahaha! 6 years ago, the mattress shop said they could tie our new mattress to the top of our car, we declined and had a friend with a truck come get it for us. Last week, I saw an arm chair with a guard rail imbedded in it, and it wasn't even off the entrance ramp to the highway yet! lol.

I have seen people toss cupcakes in their back seat before... STUPID!

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:15pm
post #12 of 12

A

Original message sent by as you wish

The amount of people who pick up cakes and place them on the car seat or pass them to their kid to hold on their lap is astounding to me. I can't imagine what they are thinking. (Yes, I advise on how to safely transport it, but I can't force stupidity out of them!) I think these are the same types of people you see flying down the highway with a mattress tied to the roof of their car and their hand out the window holding the front end down. Or the seagull feeders. :D

Too true! Spend all that money then chuck it in their car what are they thinking! I make them sign a disclosure too but I don't always photograph (dumb I know!) but you did what you were supposed to and I forgot about the box surrounding it. I would simply apologize and say I wish you would have called me as soon as it happened so I could have tried to repair it. Something along those lines but you aren't responsible for her stupidity. Sorry to say it like that but get real.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%