Book Suggestions?

Decorating By agildart Updated 17 Jul 2013 , 11:42pm by ellavanilla

agildart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agildart Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all!

I'm a self-taught cake/cupcake baker.  I like to think I do a pretty good job, but I've never made a wedding cake or learned other techniques, etc. that I think are important.  I'm looking for a good book that has a solid base of information about general cake baking, decorating, stacking cakes, etc.  Kind of like a Cake Decorating 101 and maybe some fun decorating techniques, etc.  I'm starting a home baking business and I want to be able to look up things I'm just not as sure about from the start.

Any suggestions?  

Thank you!

4 replies
aem1029 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aem1029 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 5

I have Toba Garrett's books but to me they seem a little more "old fashioned" in terms of the decorating but it's a good start.  In all honesty, I have those books but don't really look at them all too much.  Everything is online, recipes, tutorials on youtube, EVERYTHING!

rjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjcakes Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 5

Rose Levy Berenbaum's The Cake Bible is a great book to have as reference for stacking and pan sizes and batter amounts. I also like The Whimsical Bakehouse - they have the cutest decorations and some good recipes.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 5

ADede Wilson: Wedding Cakes You Can Make 
(Wiley)

http://www.dedewilson.com/books/wedding-cakes-you-can-make/

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcakes 

Rose Levy Berenbaum's The Cake Bible is a great book to have as reference for stacking and pan sizes and batter amounts. I also like The Whimsical Bakehouse - they have the cutest decorations and some good recipes.

i have both and love them both. WB also has a great color chart inside.  I also have "THE WEDDING CAKE BOOK" by DeDe Wilson. 

I have had Martha Stewart Weddings for almost 30 years and I love it. Worth a buy if you can buy it used.

i recommend your local library too. They are usually flush with cookbooks and you can check out what you like before you buy. 

The truth is, almost everything you need to know can also be found online too. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%