Questions About Large Cupcake

Decorating By rjcakes Updated 17 Jul 2013 , 1:08pm by rjcakes

rjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjcakes Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 2:35am
post #1 of 3

AHello all,

I want to make a 2 tiered cake with the top tier being the large cupcake. Does anyone have an idea of the best size round tier to go under it? It's just for a family birthday so I don't need any specific number of servings, I just want it to look good!

I also want to frost the cupcake top with buttercream rosettes but have no idea what tip people use for that gorgeous look - is it the 1M?

One more question - would you put a cardboard under the cupcake, I plan on making the chocolate shell. I can put a few straws in for support but don't want anything to show.

Thanks in advance for any help!! RJ

2 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 6:23am
post #2 of 3

Ahttp://iambaker.net/rose-cake-tutorial/

Depending on the size of rosettes you want, you can use a 1M (I believe this is the most common) or a star 21.

If your using the metal, Dimensions Giant Cupcake Pan from Wilton you can use a 6" or 8". I think the base of the cupcake is 3 1/2" I'd probably use the 6" (if I'm right about the bottom length of the cupcake pan) but I'd also make my bottom tier taller than usual, so the height is tall like the cupcake.

Even though your making a chocolate shell I would still put a foam core or cardboard cake circle underneath the cupcake! Just place the bottom of your cake pan on your cardboard circle and trace around it, just cut it a bit smaller then the actual base, place a bit of chocolate or buttercream on your board so they stick together and make sure you use internal supports in your bottom cake.

rjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjcakes Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much for your help and the link!!

RJ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%