Freezing Decorated Cookies????

Baking By aem1029 Updated 17 Jul 2013 , 3:44pm by aem1029

aem1029 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aem1029 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have experience of freezing decorated (royal iced) sugar cookies?  I have a customer who really wants me to do cookie favors for her childs/husbands combo bday party.  I told her that unfortunately, I cannot do them because the day she needs them is the day I come back from a week long vacation.  She was very disappointed because she LOVES my cookies.  She called me back about an hour later and said she still wants them and doesn't care if I deliver a week before the party.  She asked about freezing the decorated cookie.  I have no knowledge of this because I deliver my product fresh.  I told her I didn't know.  So she asked how they would be if she didn't freeze them.  So I just happen to have an order that I was working on.  I set one aside for 8 days in a airtight container to see if it would still be any good.  It still tasted good, but they were slightly drier.  I'm  not comfortable with this scenario either.  I don't want people at her party to think I make dry cookies and not want to order from me or give me bad reviews.  My business thrives on referrals.  I usually freeze my cookies before I decorate anyway, I like the texture better after they've been frozen, can they be re-frozen after they've been decorated?

4 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 5

AI made cookies for a party which we had to postpone at the last minute. Each cookie was already in a cellophane bag, so I put them in a freezer bag. We froze for 3 weeks and the cookies were just fine. I took them out of the freezer the night before the party and kept them in the freezer bag to defrost.

Since you do freeze your cookies during your processing, can you instead decorate them fresh, then freeze? That way they won't be frozen twice.

aem1029 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, I will only freeze once.  I was worried that the condensation during the thawing process might have an effect on the royal icing.  Like make it sticky or something, but you say it should be fine??

Thanks for your input!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 5

AYep, should be fine. Just let them thaw, untouched. I did this twice, both times with red royal icing, and they were just fine.

aem1029 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 5

perfect!  thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%