Sugarpaste Or Gumpaste For Tappits?

Decorating By cakecrafting450 Updated 17 Jul 2013 , 5:15pm by Annabakescakes

cakecrafting450 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 6

I just got a set of Tappits in the funky letter style. I guess I was under the assumption when I purchased these that I would use them with fondant. The packaging says they are to be used with sugarpaste. From searching, I think sugarpaste is something like gumpaste. I've seen lots of pictures in the gallery with these letters on cakes so I'm sure lots of people have experience with this. What do you use? 

5 replies
Godot Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 6

AAlways gumpaste for Tappits.

sixinarow Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 6

AI have the funky letter tappits and have used fondant with them. I dip them in cornstarch before each time I cut a letter and roll the fondant thin. :)

cakecrafting450 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 6

AThank you both for your answers. I tried some fondant with tylose powder just for fun. I may end up making gumpaste for anything official. The fondant seemed to work with the cornstarch on the cutters.

maybenot Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 6

Sugarpaste is fondant.  Flower paste is gum paste. 

Either works fine with Tappits, but a drier paste gotten by adding tylose/gum tex/cmc/gum trag or by dusting with cornstarch [the paste or the Tappit] is desirable so that release from the cutter is easier.

Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 6

I add some gum past of tylose to my fondant, roll super thin, and stick it to the counter with shortening, and let it dry for about an hour. Only then do I use the tappits, and it is much easier! Then I lift them off the counter with the edge of a razor blade. I use the razor to place it on my cake, as well. MUCH easier that trying to whack them out of the tappit!

Quote by @%username% on %date%