Sculpting Figure

Decorating By madmay Updated 9 Nov 2021 , 5:06pm by SandraSmiley

madmay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madmay Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 17

Hello, I think my last thread wen t to cupcakes but they may give the answer too.

I have been sculpting with polymere clay for years. I would like to try doing them with eatable foods such as gum paste or a fondant mixture with gum paste, or just fondant. I don't know which will work the best for my sculpting.

Also, I have allot of books on how to sculpt cute things, figures , houses, animals, jewelry and would like to know if I use the eatable sculpting would I be able to get the same detail?

16 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 17

AI've never worked with polymer clay so I don't know much about its consistency. I have used some of the polymer clay tutorials for making figurines, your books would definitely help and your experience would put you ahead of the curve. Correct me if I'm wrong, but PClay seems to blend very easily, helping you hide seams? Modeling chocolate blends better when building something up. That's typically what I use when making figurines. If your making something large than you obviously need some type of internal support (ie: a larger car-I'd make the car out of rice Krispy treats and add details with modeling chocolate). It really depends on the size and shape of what your wanting to make. Also, I use clay sculpting tools rather then cake decorating tools often (of course they have never touched clay so they're food safe). Gumpaste dries harder than fondant, or a combination of the two, or adding tylose powder to your fondant-these will all help to get a stronger figure. I would buy a package of premade fondant/Gumpaste so you get an idea of the consistency and just play around with it. Just be sure to use different tools and a clean station so they are safe to eat.

madmay Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 17

Thank you Smckinney07,

I have the new book on using molding chocolate but from using it I don't think I can get the detail that I get with polymere clay...it would melt...LOLOLO.

Can you buy fondant-gum paste? I thought I would have to use my own fondant and my own gum paste. Do you know where to get it?

RK I'm not sure I could again get the detail I want but "Wicked Goodies" does such a great job covering their stuff I might be able to do it.

I also wish I could make copies of my books for you guys. But I know about copyrights .

Maybe I can submit some tutorials for it? Make them out of the fondant/ gum paste mix?

I have done just about all of their ideas. I sell them on Labor Day at a craft show.

The cutest is a Polar bear w/ a seal on top and I think it's a penguin on top of that.The small houses are so detailed but semi easy to do, once it is explained.

What do you think?

Again , Thank You for your advise.

madmay Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 17

Oh, Polymere clay does blend easy because of all the colors that are available. Fimo is the strongest but also the longest to get soft to shape.

Smckinney07 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 12:39am
post #5 of 17

Ahttp://cakesdecor.com/ChokoLate

http://cakesdecor.com/VeruscaWalker

http://cakesdecor.com/tortediivana

When it comes to figure modeling the links above are some of my favorite decorators, ChokoLate works only in modeling chocolate.

What kind of figures are you wanting to make? If you could post a pic of one of your polymer clay examples I will be able to help you more.

Depending on where you live you might be able to get some locally. There are several different brands available-Wilton Fondant is probably the easiest to get if you live in the US (they carry it at , they would also have Gumpaste too). I would never cover a cake with Wilton, simply b/c it doesn't taste very good but I do keep some on hand for some of my modeling. There's FondX, Fondarific, Satin Ice, Bakels Pettinice....

You can also make your own. I will attach a couple recipe links too. Also, we always appreciate tutorials!

Smckinney07 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 12:50am
post #6 of 17

AI haven't tried this yet, but it has many amazing reviews. I'm going to make some tomorrow. 

http://artisancakecompany.com/2012/11/the-best-marshmallow-fondant-recipe-ever/

I always buy Gumpaste but here's a link to a popular recipe by Nicholas Lodge

http://www.craftsy.com/recipe/gum-paste

This recipe I have made several times, it's for modeling chocolate

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-make-modeling-chocolate.html

madmay Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 5:14am
post #7 of 17

Thank you smkinney07.I would love your input on how to do my clay pieces to eatable ones. I just don't know how to post it ouch.gif.Let alone where on the sight. If you have the time I'd appreciate the help.

madmay Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 5:31am
post #8 of 17

smckinnyey07,

Thank you for those decorators at that sight! I'm joining the sight. I didn't read long enough but are ALL the figures done in molding chocolate? That is the detail I do with my clay. How long will it last? do I fridge it when done? How do I stop it from melting while working on it? Sorry for all the questions....forgot about the site but I'm sure you know tricks from doing them yourself.

Could I maybe make small -medium pieces out of RK? I can probably work it like hard clay.

Smckinney07 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 7:27am
post #9 of 17

AYes people use RKT all the time! Some people use styrofoam balls or pieces-that's obviously not edible lol. I love modeling chocolate, if your hands are typically very warm you could wear gloves I usually don't though. I was making a scary tree for a Halloween cake and I started with a square piece of styrofoam (covered in Saran wrap so it didn't get into my tree) I stick a dowell inside about as thick as my cake was going to be and started wrapping modeling Choc around it. I would work on it a bit, then walk away for a bit so it could firm back up (because your hands can make it melt) work some more...score it with a tool that looks like a paintbrush of wires.

I know ChokoLate works strictly with modeling chocolate. In her tutorials Verusca Walker uses fondant with tylose powder mixed in and TorteD's looks like fondant/Gumpaste but I'm not positive. You can always message them and ask. That's why I suggested trying different mediums, I'm sure you'll find a favorite. I like fondant mixed with modeling chocolate to cover my cakes and make drapes/swags/pearls, I like modeling chocolate for some things and Gumpaste for high heels and ruffles, so experiment. The thing about plain modeling chocolate for figurines is you can't use regular gel colors to paint features like eyebrows, you have to use special paint for chocolate so there's something to consider when purchasing supplies.

If you wanted to show me some of your pics just email me [email protected]

Oh you asked about refrigerating modeling Choc decorations, you can just leave them out on your workspace they'll harden on their own (same for fondant and Gumpaste which usually take longer...days even depending on what your making) just make sure to keep them in a cool room and out of direct sunlight (it can make some fondant colors fade). Hope that helps!

madmay Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 17

Thank you so much for all the input. I'm going to experiment now with some of them. I don't live anywhere near any stores...closest is 100 miles, but I'll check the internet. First I'll try what I have here. Will send you some pictures of some things I have done.

Again, Thank you so muchicon_razz.gif

Smckinney07 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 4:30pm
post #11 of 17

AI have to order everything too. But you can find recipes for everything too. There are tutorials via YouTube, CakeCentral, everywhere online. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your pics

Smckinney07 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 4:34pm
post #12 of 17

AOh something else I wanted to tell you about your decorations. I can't remember which site, but I'm sure many people do it, but I saw on someone's blog where they sell custom made fondant decorations and also offer clay figurines (especially for wedding toppers, like couples). If stored properly they can both last a long time but some people prefer their clay figurines, so that's something you could consider! Just use different tools ;)

madmay Posted 7 Nov 2021 , 5:25pm
post #13 of 17

Smckinney07,

Years. sorry. Have been into steam punk and a neat deal where you sculpt on canvas.That one is neat.

I still make my clay figures but still stick to clay so they have something to keep forever, unless they break it. Have some neat tutorials on TOUTUBE, especially for making the clay extra strong like for bracelets and such.

I do want to know what kind of fondant people use. Wiltons tastes so bad to me, I've made marshmallow fondant but would like to buy some already made like Wiltons.

I know you may not be here anymore but wanted to say thank you. I'm also disabled so takes a good day to do the cute.

Madmay

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 7 Nov 2021 , 6:48pm
post #14 of 17

I would like to check out your tutorials and give you some likes. SandraSmiley, a Cakecentral member does some amazing work. I liked the Michelle Foster's recipe the best. I don't like the taste of Wilton or Satin ice.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2021 , 5:49pm
post #15 of 17

i usually used satin ice but i used the massa type fondant too -- pricey but great to work with -- could be rolled real thin, melded well with the buttercream

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Nov 2021 , 5:05pm
post #16 of 17

I hate freakin' fondant, period!  To me, all of it tastes like a slick, slimy mess.

Thanks for the sweet compliment, littlejewel!  I have made a few models with clay, but I don't like the feel or the smell, so I stick to modeling chocolate.  Unless it gets hot, it lasts indefinitely. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Nov 2021 , 5:06pm
post #17 of 17

By the way, I used the same tools for clay as for modeling chocolate.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%