Help Please! Buttercream Fail!

Baking By Cakes by Bri Updated 17 Jul 2013 , 3:17am by Cakes by Bri

Cakes by Bri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes by Bri Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 9

AHey all, So I cannot for the life of me get a buttercream to taste like anything but, straight butter! Ugh. I have used and tasted a stored can buttercream and it tastes farrrr different than any butter cream I've made. Not sure what I'm doing wrong! Or if its just my taste buds. These are what I've tried...

1/3 cup butter softened 1/4 cup cream /evaporated milk 1tsp vanilla 1/4 tsp salt 4 cups powdered sugar.

Also... Another one with 4 sticks butter crisp and lots 10x bag of powdered sugar ill h e to find exact recipe, you all probably know.

They both end up tasting far to much like butter!

8 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 9

AAre you using unsalted butter? Sometimes regular salted butter can really stand out in buttercream. I use unsalted butter, then add a bit of salt to taste. Sometimes it takes more, sometimes less, but I am in control of the salt.

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 9

This is for a small batch but I do 1/2 C crisco, 1/2 C unsalted butter, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 TBSP water & 4 C powdered sugar.  Mine has a decent flavor, and it doesn't taste too buttery either.  Instead of the 1 tsp vanilla, you could use almond, butter, etc. for flavorings. 

Cakes by Bri Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 9

AThank you! I'm going to give these a try! I know it's "butter"cream but holy cow it always tastes way to buttery to me. This last one was alright and someone said they liked it?! Haha I thought it was buttery.

This alright tasting one was undated butter , the other recipe was 2 sticks salted and 2 sticks unsalted. I don't know if its the butter brand or what.

Thank you both! Going to try those next!

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 9

Just a thought, but how long are you beating it for?  I know for the recipe I use you really need to beat it on high speed for at least five minutes or it tastes too stodgy and sickly.

Cakes by Bri Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 12:54am
post #6 of 9

AProbably about the same? It just has SUCH a buttery taste! I'm gonna work on it and see if I can tweak something!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 1:01am
post #7 of 9

Welllll, I gotta say, if you're used to canned butter cream, and I'm willing to be there really isn't a lick of butter in there, then you're probably just not used to what real butter cream tastes like. It's called butter cream for a reason, and that is not in any way meant to be a snarky response. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 1:02am
post #8 of 9

I'm really just going by your statement about canned butter cream, and I gather from that you had not made any until now, so please, really, wasn't meant to be insulting or snarky. 

Cakes by Bri Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 3:17am
post #9 of 9

AHaha! Thank you AZ! You are right on point with my comments and that's what I had thought well maybe I'm just not used to actual buttercream!

Thank you for your honesty! :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%