Whats Your Best Topsy Turvy Cake Tip?

Decorating By mareg Updated 16 Jul 2013 , 4:50am by Smckinney07

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 8

AHi there, I have a topsy tuvy wedding cake that has to be delivers 60+ miles EEK!8O What tips can you give me for supports, carving and placing tiers on, traveling??? ANYTHING!!! :)

7 replies
cakedreamer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedreamer101 Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 8

I've never done a T-T cake, but I just delivered a baby-shower cake -  silly me, the first thing I usually think about regarding transport is the cake falling over.  What got by me was to put a piece of non-slip mat under the cake - it didn't fall but it did slide a bit... and I just eased on the brakes when I had to stop, too. Ugh!

mareg Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 8

AYes, I use that too. I'm wondering if I should stack it when I get there? I usually do it straight out of the fridge when the icing is still a bit hard. It will be covered in BC with fondant accents.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 8

My tip: Allow twice the time you think you're going to need.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 8

Use ganache for your crumb coat. 

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 8

A topsy turvy cake should be every bit as stable as a regular stacked cake. the bottom of each cake should actually be level, and just carved to look wonky. (sorry if you already knew that, I've just seen some really unstable TT tutorials!)

mareg Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 3:50am
post #7 of 8

AThank you all!! I'm just a bit scared about this one. I made only one before for my 50th birthday....it didn't fall over but it was about to! I'm going to use a leveler when I carve out the top for the bottom to sit in.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%