Chocolate Covered Strawberries On White Icing - Trouble??

Decorating By Cakeladie Updated 26 Jan 2007 , 6:26pm by Cakeladie

Cakeladie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeladie Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 6

I just booked a wedding cake for a bride that wants the cake iced in white buttercream with chocolate covered strawberries on the top of each tier. Does anyone know if the chocolate will "bleed" or melt onto the white icing? I thought about making the strawberries the night before and letting them dry then placing them on the cake the day of the wedding. Any suggestions?

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 6

Here is a pic of my 3-tiered strawberry shortcake wedding cake. The berries weren't chocolate covered, but they were sitting on top of BC icing.

I wouldn't put the berries on until I set the cake up at the reception. I don't believe your chocolate will melt and bleed, but if the berries sweat and start to juice, you could have an issue that way. Do it at the last minute.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=indydebi&cat=0&pos=25

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 6

Ditto what indydebi said. I have neve had problems with the chocolate bleeding, just the strawberries. I once had a case where the strawberries shriveled up overnight...I think maybe the chocolate was too hot.

Cakeladie Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks! I'll definitely wait to put the strawberries on after I set up the cake. Do you think it would be OK to dip them in the chocolate the night before and let them dry overnight?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 6

How many are you doing and what time will you be setting up?

If you are setting up before noon, I'd probably do them the night before. If it's a late afternoon or early evening set-up, I'd do them the morning of.

Cakeladie Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 6

It's an evening wedding (around 5 PM) so I would probably have time to do them that morning. Good idea. Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%