Looking For A Good Recipe For Cupcakes And Frosting For A Wedding

Baking By stloretta Updated 27 Jul 2013 , 1:22pm by Texan Aunt

stloretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stloretta Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 28

I have been asked to provide 75 cupcakes for a wedding and i am looking for good recipes..this is my first wedding and want to be able to impress...any and all input would be wonderful...I want a frostening that will stay creamy..

27 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 28

ALet me see if I understand - you've taken an order for cupcakes for a wedding and you don't any any established recipes in place?

Um.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 28

I'm also not sure that taking an order for a wedding, or any event, is a good idea until you have an excellent set of recipes for cake and icing. Start testing recipes that you find on here or the rest of the internet until you find one you like. Searching for frosting, not frostening, will help. 

KellyMorgin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyMorgin Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 28

A good recipe equals years of blood sweat and tears, only then will you have a good recipe. icon_lol.gif

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 28

Uh, oh, you meanies... 

stloretta, you must certainly have some products you're happy with. Start with those recipes and bake samples for tasting. You may be pleasantly surprised that you already have what you are looking for.

daryll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daryll Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 1:58am
post #6 of 28

Stloretta, there are many, many, many, recipes on CC (and a few more!) - have a look through the Recipe section, using the search functionality if this helps.

I found several cupcake and frosting recipes that were useful, however you WILL need to trial them yourself to find one that suits what you are looking for, because really only you will know this.

HTH

stloretta Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 28

right...this is a family member who asked me to do this..and I am always up for a challenge

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 28

You could try some recipes from allrecipes.com that have a 5-star rating.

stloretta Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 28

Maybe this isn't the group for me to be in...I wasn't asking for rude comments but comments from NICE people who like to share ideas and such...I thought this was for asking questions and getting ideas and sharing info...guess I was wrong...but just remember you all had to start at the bottom and work up...and I am not planning to make a career out of this...I  help people out who are on a strict budget, and I also give most of my product away to families that I know cannot afford the fancy cakes...this is a gift that I was given and planned to share it...so to all you negative people thanks for the rude comments...you sure know how to make a person welcomed...icon_sad.gif

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 28

There are lots of helpful people here; I guess you just haven't found many yet.

I don't bake cupcakes, so I don't have any recipes for you. When I need a recipe for something new, I always check allrecipes.com. Lots have many reviews, so you can tell if the recipe needs a little tweak to be perfect. There are often very good ideas about adding or changing a little something, even on the 5-star recipes.

I don't much use the Cake Central recipes section. Anyone can post any recipe there, whether it's any good or not. There used to be a rating system (I think it was 1 to 10 stars), but since the last time the website got overhauled, the ratings are gone.

DebJ812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebJ812 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 28

ASeriously, why so mean everyone? All I'm seeing lately on these threads us criticism and judgement. People are asking for help, no to be belittled. If you see a comment or question that you don't agree with, why can't you say to yourself "silly novice baker...." and click away from the conversation?

stloretta, good luck to you. I'm proud of you for taking on this endeavor! With only the experience of making a few dozen at a time and the advice of helpful bakers on this site, I recently completed an order for 648 cupcakes. You can do 75! Keep the faith!

DebJ812 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 4:18pm
post #12 of 28

A*is, not "us" Autocorrect....

stloretta Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 4:49pm
post #13 of 28

I am not a professional bake, I admit that and know that.  I am trying to do it help my Cousin who is getting married have a beautiful wedding.  They have asked me to make 75 cupcakes with a nice soft fluffy frosting.  Their colors are mauve and ivory and wants a piped frosting cupcake.

I also have looked all over the Internet for info but get so confused as to the amount of recipes that are offered..so I thought why not ask the people who do know what they are doing for a little advice...so if there is anyone who can help me out just a bit.  I would be very appreciative.  Thanking you in advance.

I am not asking for your secret recipes,I understand you have worked long and hard to achieve them.  Just maybe a very nice recipe that will work well for my Cousins wedding

Loretta

DebJ812 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 5:31pm
post #14 of 28

AI PMed you a frosting recipe. Good luck. Hang in there, there is some great advice given by wonderful people on here. I'm not sure why people are so determined to let everyone know everything they are thinking these days.

DebJ812 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 5:32pm
post #15 of 28

AAlso, when searching Internet recipes, I stick with allrecipes.com and only make 4.5 or 5 star recipes. They're usually pretty good. You can also read the comments for tips and tricks others have used to make the recipes even better!

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 5:35pm
post #16 of 28

AShanter is right. It is best to go to allrecipes.com and find recipes. I've used it for years for all kinds of foods. Look for the recipes with the most ratings, and highest. Read through the ratings to see if there are many people who changed things. Then make test batches to see if you like the recipes. Or do what Mimi said, and work with existing recipes you may already have. Only you can figure if a recipe is good enough for your purposes.

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 5:48pm
post #17 of 28

I use buttercream dream (you can find it in the recipes on this site) for almost all of my cakes.  Plus, you can modify the flavoring to suit your needs (use some almond extract and some vanilla extract, lemon extract, etc).  One batch of it if whipped up a little higher speed should frost at least 35 cupcakes.  It takes on color pretty well, but if you are adding a lot of color to the frosting, you might need to add a touch more extract to soften the flavor.  If you can't find the recipe on cakecentral, message me and I'll get you the link.

Good luck with the wedding!

stloretta Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:00pm
post #18 of 28

Thank you all so much...   <3

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 12:32am
post #19 of 28

I love the WASC cake.  Also called White Almond Sour Cream cake.  I use vanilla and almond extract for my flavor of choice.  I also make it chocolate by using a chocolate cake mix and using only vanilla extract.  My cake mix of choice is Duncan Hines.  I'm on my laptop and don't have the recipe on this computer sorry.  I'm sure you can find it on this site, or Google it.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 12:38am
post #20 of 28

Are you looking for chocolate or vanilla?

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 12:39am
post #21 of 28

Are you looking for chocolate or vanilla?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 12:43am
post #22 of 28

Hi, here is another great site. I have made several of her recipes and frosting recipes. Love her site. You won,t have any troubles at all. Good Luck!!!!

http://sweetapolita.com/2011/01/neapolitan-5-layer-birthday-cake-with-strawberry-frosting/

Rosegin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosegin Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 12:28am
post #23 of 28

A

Original message sent by icer101

Hi, here is another great site. I have made several of her recipes and frosting recipes. Love her site. You won,t have any troubles at all. Good Luck!!!!

[URL=http://sweetapolita.com/2011/01/neapolitan-5-layer-birthday-cake-with-strawberry-frosting/]http://sweetapolita.com/2011/01/neapolitan-5-layer-birthday-cake-with-strawberry-frosting/[/URL]

This is my go-to site. Her recipes are all amazing.

hhwang7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hhwang7 Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 7:06am
post #24 of 28

Hi, I am kind of in the same situation as you. I need to make 88 cupcakes for my father's 88 year-old birthday party (coming in two weeks) And the cupcakes and frosting/buttercream need to stay at room temperature for more than 10 hours so the guests can take some home. I am using Rose's Heavenly Cake (the book) where she has some really nice cupcake recipes, I have already done 3 to 4 batches, all turned out great. I don't eat cupcakes (a weight watcher) but once I had my first bite, then I could not stop! The only problem I have now is the buttercream/frosting all too sweet to me as I don't like sweet thing. Good luck.

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 9:14am
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwang7 

Hi, I am kind of in the same situation as you. I need to make 88 cupcakes for my father's 88 year-old birthday party (coming in two weeks) And the cupcakes and frosting/buttercream need to stay at room temperature for more than 10 hours so the guests can take some home. I am using Rose's Heavenly Cake (the book) where she has some really nice cupcake recipes, I have already done 3 to 4 batches, all turned out great. I don't eat cupcakes (a weight watcher) but once I had my first bite, then I could not stop! The only problem I have now is the buttercream/frosting all too sweet to me as I don't like sweet thing. Good luck.

Does your frosting have any salt in it?  I like using a little salt to cut the sweetness.  I use a 1/2 tsp. per 2# of confectioners sugar.  You could always use a little more, but be careful you don't add too much.

stloretta Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 1:08pm
post #26 of 28

Vanilla is the perfered flavor or cupcakes...

stloretta Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 1:10pm
post #27 of 28

I have found the perfect frosting...now working on the cup cakes...

Texan Aunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texan Aunt Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 1:21pm
post #28 of 28

Try Elisa Strauss' White cake, you could be able to find it on Google or at your library (where I originally found it and have since gotten her book). I've tweaked slightly the recipe for my own use but it is usually the one I use and  should probably be a good start for you. It is very fluffy because of the egg white but try to use a higher quality vanilla extract because you can really tell the difference. Hope this helps!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%