Help With How To Word Ingredients?

Decorating By mbocharski Updated 13 Jul 2013 , 10:03pm by maybenot

mbocharski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbocharski Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 3

For those of you who make doctored cakes, when you provide an ingredient list(like at the farmers market they have to be packaged with an ingredient list and label) how do you word it? Do you just write everything from the box plus what you have added? Do you write for example- Duncan Hines Cake- then list the ingredients? I'm not sure what's the best way to word it..

I have spent all week trying scratch recipes so I could just have a simple easy list and not have to worry about people thinking my cupcakes are less then amazing since they start with box mix. I ended up doing box and scratch cupcakes to compare. My husband, family, and friends all chose the box and said my scratch cupcakes (besides my grandmas scratch vegan chocolate cake who everyone loves) tastes okay but had the texture of cornbread, and stale( I make billy's vanilla, magnolia's vanilla,and another I can't remember the name of). I feel like if someone walks up and sees the ingredients starting with box cake mix they won't buy it since they can make it at home. I do LOVE regular WASC and whats not broken don't fix it right?

This weekend I am trying FromScratchSF's and the Scratch WASC recipe to see if I can find a recipe that works with me. If not, I'm sticking with boxes  and hopefully people will still want them.

Just looking for some advice!

2 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 3

From Scratch SF's recipe is great, by the way. :)  The mixing method is the key.

I would just list the ingredients off the box, along with your add ins.  If someone wants to figure it out, they will, but they won't know the brand, flavor, etc.

Liz

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 3

Please read this thread and watch the video before you convince yourself/beat yourself up for starting with a box mix.  What matters in the end is that YOU are happy with the product and that people LIKE it.  As you say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

http://cakecentral.com/t/760849/abcs-the-lookout-last-night

As for ingredient labels, if it's mandated that they be that detailed and specific, then you'll likely need to use the lists on the boxes--you could scan those into files and then add to them with whatever else you use for each recipe.  I wouldn't give the company name, though.  I also doubt that many people will read the list, in depth, before buying.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%