rsaun Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 1:36pm
post #1 of

I had a woman contact me on July 5 about a cake for her daughter's birthday.  I was on line when she messaged me, so it started a "chat."  She asked if she could work with me for a baby doll cake.  I sent her some pics as ideas that we could work with, and she chose one she liked.  Then I asked her for her party date to be sure I was available.  She told me her date, and I clicked on it on my google calendar, and it looked fine.  We continued the chat and I quoted her a price and, still during the chat, I went to add her to my calendar and noticed I had clicked on the wrong date and I was actually unavailable on her date.  I told her so, and told her I was very sorry, but that if she wanted the weekend before, I was available.  This all took place in one continuous chat and all within a 1/2 hour or so.  She was disappointed but said she couldn't change her date because she had already reserved a park pavilion on the only date that was available.  I apologized again and the chat ended.

 

Yesterday, a week later, she emailed me again and just said, "I can't find anyone else who will make that cake."  

 

I messaged her back and said I was very sorry, and the cake she wanted is adorable, but my schedule hadn't changed.  I told her I would be happy to work with her if she chose a different date, but I couldn't change my availability.

 

She wrote back to me this morning and asked me what dates in August I am available and then the clincher..."COULD YOU POSSIBLY GIVE ME A DISCOUNT SINCE ALL THIS HAPPENED AND I HAVE TO REARRANGE MY PLANS TO WORK WITH YOU?"   Uh...what?  

 

I told her my availability but also told her I could not give a discount.  I told her that since I realized the scheduling conflict during the initial chat, that no order had been written up or nothing had been scheduled to accommodate my availability, I couldn't.  I explained that she contacted me with her date already booked at the park and that limited her date availability, I didn't see that any discount was in order.  I also explained to her that I am booked pretty tight for the one date that was a possibility and that I am willing to open up another slot to work with her since she can't find anyone else, that I wouldn't discount.  I also explained to her that my rates are going up August 1, but that I was willing to give her the original price I quoted her as a courtesy.  Finally, a week had passed since I told her that I couldn't do her cake, and SHE contacted ME yesterday asking for a discount.

 

What would you do?  Am I wrong for not being willing to give her a discount?  Or is she being completely unreasonable?

157 replies
Godot Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 1:43pm
post #2 of

AWhy would you even consider a discount?

No one is forcing her to order from you. There are other places that make cakes. Maybe not the cake she wants, but there are other cake makers out there.

I would write her back and say that it's a shame you can't work together for this order, but you hope that you'll have the opportunity to make a cake for her at another time. Nip this in the bud or she'll nag you right slap to death.

liz at sugar Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 1:49pm
post #3 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

Why would you even consider a discount?

No one is forcing her to order from you. There are other places that make cakes. Maybe not the cake she wants, but there are other cake makers out there.

I would write her back and say that it's a shame you can't work together for this order, but you hope that you'll have the opportunity to make a cake for her at another time. Nip this in the bud or she'll nag you right slap to death.


Yes, nip it in the bud.  She sounds like a PITA.

 

Liz

BatterUpCake Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 2:30pm
post #4 of

No discount! But I wouldn't feel offended that she asked. It never hurts to ask. The worst thing that can happen is you will be told no. I give discounts on military cakes but I don't advertise it. If they ask, yes. But I am in a huge military area and many businesses do that, same as senior discounts. Not saying that's what you should do,at all...just that I wouldn't be offended.

leah_s Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 2:51pm
post #5 of

I wouldn't even have responded.  Nitwit.

leah_s Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 2:51pm
post #6 of

Nitwit = her, not you.  Just to clarify.

costumeczar Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 2:57pm
post #7 of

AYou're not wrong to not give her a discount, she's just trying to see how far she can go. I'd say the only thing you did wrong was not checking the date first, then asking her budget, then looking at designs, in that order. That would have saved you some grief, but you don't have to give a discount because she wants to hire you. Oh, and don't feel that you need to justify why not, just tell her no you can't give her a discount.

Plus, she sounds like a PITA who will probably complain about the cake to try to get a refund after the fact, so I wouldn't make the cake for her even if she paid full price.

Sassyzan Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 3:00pm
post #8 of

AI don't think you're wrong but I don't think she is being unreasonable. She just asked a question. She's trying to plan a party. You said yes, then no, then she couldn't get anyone else to take the order, had to change the date of the party. Maybe she's frazzled and frustrated and just looking for a break. You don't have to give her a discount of course but maybe empathize a bit with her frustration.

BatterUpCake Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 3:18pm
post #9 of

Well she told her in the same conversation that she realized she was booked that day. It's not like it was a week later and everyone was booked. The having to change the date etc,,,was in no way caused by anything OP did. The lady should have ordered the cake further in advance.

rsaun Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 3:39pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassyzan 

I don't think you're wrong but I don't think she is being unreasonable. She just asked a question. She's trying to plan a party. You said yes, then no, then she couldn't get anyone else to take the order, had to change the date of the party. Maybe she's frazzled and frustrated and just looking for a break. You don't have to give her a discount of course but maybe empathize a bit with her frustration.


I didn't really tell her yes.  We discussed the cake via chat and within a few minutes of thinking I had the date open, I realized I didn't and told her that.  She didn't even get off her computer in the time she thought it was a "yes" when it's a "no."  I understand her frustration...and apologized and offered a different date in the original conversation.  She said no, because she had already booked the park, left the conversation and now a week later asked for a discount.  I guess my point is that she is acting like she needs to reschedule because of me, and it's not because of me.  It's because she wants me to do her cake and I'm not available for the date she booked her park.  I am empathetic to her plight, but I guess the sense of entitlement bothered me.  Just my opinion!  icon_smile.gif

rsaun Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 3:40pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

Well she told her in the same conversation that she realized she was booked that day. It's not like it was a week later and everyone was booked. The having to change the date etc,,,was in no way caused by anything OP did. The lady should have ordered the cake further in advance.


I agree.  She contacted me on July 5 for a cake for August 17.  I guess six weeks isn't unreasonable but it's a summer Saturday and those are busy!  icon_biggrin.gif

rsaun Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 3:40pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s 

Nitwit = her, not you.  Just to clarify.


Thanks for the clarification!  icon_biggrin.gif

rsaun Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 3:42pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

You're not wrong to not give her a discount, she's just trying to see how far she can go. I'd say the only thing you did wrong was not checking the date first, then asking her budget, then looking at designs, in that order. That would have saved you some grief, but you don't have to give a discount because she wants to hire you. Oh, and don't feel that you need to justify why not, just tell her no you can't give her a discount.

Plus, she sounds like a PITA who will probably complain about the cake to try to get a refund after the fact, so I wouldn't make the cake for her even if she paid full price.


I "thought" I checked the date.  I keep my dates in my google calendar.  When I clicked on the date, it showed a full week rather than that day.  I zeroed in on Saturday and saw it had an opening.  Unfortunately, I didn't realize until a few minutes later that it was August 10 I saw and not August 17.  At any rate, that is the first thing I usually check and this time it bit me in the butt!  icon_redface.gif

BatterUpCake Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 3:42pm

Alot of the bakeries around here have been booked up thru Sept for a month

kikiandkyle Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 3:47pm

AAbsolutely not, you did nothing wrong, she is projecting her own guilt over having left such an important part of her daughter's party so late that nobody was available, and has somehow convinced herself that its actually your fault when nobody in their right mind would think it was.

And I don't think she had any right to ask for a discount 'because you caused this' because you didn't. It's one thing to ask for a discount (which I personally think is super tacky but others don't), but to make out that she should get one because you messed up is just taking the pee.

cakesbycathy Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 4:46pm

She's acting like she's doing you a favor, rearranging her schedule.   It's wonderful she loves your cakes that much but she is not entitled to a discount just because you can't accommodate her schedule.

 

You didn't do anything wrong.  You quickly realized the mistake,  were apologetic and have even tried to work with her on price for a different date. 

howsweet Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 5:50pm

Nitwit is a good description. She doesn't seem to have much in the way of reasoning and logic, but she thinks she's being smart.

Gees Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 5:59pm

Hola, sorry por contestar en español pero puedes usar el traductor :-)

Considero que no debes darle descuento porque si ella es la que necesita tu pastel, tu harías el esfuerzo por cumplir con su pedido, pero sería un pedido normal para ti, al contrario, al dejarle tu precio de Julio en Agosto ya estas haciendole un gran favor, asi que no te preocupes, a veces los clientes enredan las cosas para obtener descuentos y la que sale perdiendo es la empresaria, asi que lo hiciste muy bien!

costumeczar Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 8:41pm

A

Original message sent by Gees

Hola, sorry por contestar en español pero puedes usar el traductor :-) Considero que no debes darle descuento porque si ella es la que necesita tu pastel, tu harías el esfuerzo por cumplir con su pedido, pero sería un pedido normal para ti, al contrario, al dejarle tu precio de Julio en Agosto ya estas haciendole un gran favor, asi que no te preocupes, a veces los clientes enredan las cosas para obtener descuentos y la que sale perdiendo es la empresaria, asi que lo hiciste muy bien!

Si...exactamente!:smile:

Relznik Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 8:58pm

I don't think there's necessarily wrong with people asking 'is there anything you can do on the price?' (although my prices are my prices! LOL!  But I've been known to ask when I'm buying things, LOL!)

 

However, what I WOULD object to is her asking, with the implication you OWE her in some way.  That would put my nose right out of joint!

mcaulir Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 9:45pm

I hate when people ask for discounts in just about any situation.

 

Is that your best price? Well, since I have allowed a 500% profit margin, so of course it isn't. But I'm in business to, you know, make money. However, because you asked me one question, I'll immediately take 10% off and make you feel like you've driven a hard bargin.

 

Can you possibly give me a discount? Well, sure. Which one of my kids should go without dinner on Thursday so you can have your discount for being disorganised?

costumeczar Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 10:12pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik 

 

 

However, what I WOULD object to is her asking, with the implication you OWE her in some way.  That would put my nose right out of joint!

that's what would have irrtated me too. She phrased it like she was owed something because she chose to change her plans.

AZCouture Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 10:22pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir 

 

Can you possibly give me a discount? Well, sure. Which one of my kids should go without dinner on Thursday so you can have your discount for being disorganised?

I'm astounded at the gall of her asking such a ridiculous thing. I'm really kind of cheesed at all the decorators out there that *are* pushovers though and have pricing that they do waiver on that puts this sort of idea in peoples heads anyways. Sometimes it's not the customers stupid ideas, but rather they *have* gotten away with people before, so why not try again? icon_mad.gif

AZCouture Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 10:26pm

I have one in my town that is currently advertising with a stolen photo of this gilded beauty covered in at least $200 worth of sugar flowers and a gold leafed tier. She refers to fondant as fondane, repeatedly, so it's no typo. She refers to the gold leafed tier as a gold box, indicating that she has no idea that it's cake with gold leaf, and she says it will look exactly the same done in butter cream. Again, indicating she has no earthly idea of what she is doing. The butter cream cake will cost half as much according to her, and after repeated pressure from some people who could tell something wasn't right with her descriptions and the sheer beauty of the cake she was saying hers, she finally posted one that she says she did for someone who asked for that exact cake. It was a monkey iced wreck wrapped with dollar store ribbon, and huge plonky orchids from the grocery store. It was NOTHING like the cake she posted. Oh, and more thing...she said she was a professional and didn't need any advice, thank you very much. I mean...wow. So there are plenty of so called pros out there just really screwing up customers for the rest of us.

costumeczar Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 11:49pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

 It was a monkey iced wreck wrapped with dollar store ribbon,

icon_biggrin.gif

 

also, how do I learn more about this fondane that you speak of?

BatterUpCake Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 11:53pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

I have one in my town that is currently advertising with a stolen photo of this gilded beauty covered in at least $200 worth of sugar flowers and a gold leafed tier. She refers to fondant as fondane, repeatedly, so it's no typo. She refers to the gold leafed tier as a gold box, indicating that she has no idea that it's cake with gold leaf, and she says it will look exactly the same done in butter cream. Again, indicating she has no earthly idea of what she is doing. The butter cream cake will cost half as much according to her, and after repeated pressure from some people who could tell something wasn't right with her descriptions and the sheer beauty of the cake she was saying hers, she finally posted one that she says she did for someone who asked for that exact cake. It was a monkey iced wreck wrapped with dollar store ribbon, and huge plonky orchids from the grocery store. It was NOTHING like the cake she posted. Oh, and more thing...she said she was a professional and didn't need any advice, thank you very much. I mean...wow. So there are plenty of so called pros out there just really screwing up customers for the rest of us.

I wanna see a monkey iced wreck......where could we go to see such a debacle?

AZCouture Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 12:04am

AI'll pm you both when I get on the computer. I can't copy links from this phone. :D And fondane is apparently the new it thing, don't ya know?

BatterUpCake Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 12:09am

I googled fondane cake Yuma Arizona and all that comes up is YOU! You are all over dem internets...

kaylawaylalayla Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 12:23am

I wanna see too!

IAmPamCakes Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 12:31am

AI wanna see! Morbid curiosity has gotten the best of me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%