Cake Pops Troubleshooting

Decorating By DebJ812 Updated 6 Oct 2013 , 5:01pm by tiina20

DebJ812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebJ812 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 18

AI am faced with having to make cake pops again and I'm not a fan. i think they're a pain.

Any advice for troubleshooting? Mine tend to fall off the stick and/or crack?

17 replies
rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 18

Here's what I've learned so far...maybe you're already doing these things, but hope something helps!

1. Work with chilled cake balls - I do about 15 minutes in the fridge

2. Dip the stick in the coating before putting it into the cake ball - about 1/2 inch - 1 inch of coating on the end

3. If your coating is cracking, either your cake balls were too cold to begin with, or you have too much oil or Criso in your coating

DebJ812 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 18

AThanks! I think I was getting them too cold!

DebJ812 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 18

ASpeaking of cold... Can finished cake pops be frozen? If not, how long will the keep at room temp?

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 18

AI have frozen oreo balls before. Some people say that theirs cracked when they froze them. I have never had that problem. Your best bet is to refrigerate them. I have had mine up to a week and a half and they still tasted good.

DebJ812 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 18

AThanks! They're not my favorite thing to make, but maybe if I make them more often....

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 18

Just curious b/c I've not ventured into the whole cake ball field yet.  Do you guys make the individual cake balls from the pans or do you take the already made cake and break that down to form the "dough" to roll the cake balls out of?  I hope this makes sense how I'm saying this.  I've heard when you make the cake into the "dough" that it's on the mushy side and people seem to not like the texture.  Believe it or not I've not had a cake ball period.  I'm intrigued to try them out of the cake "dough" that you make to roll each out.

bct806 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 18

AI break down the cake and form it into a ball. It tastes sooooo good. I add a little frosting or chocolate to help it hold together. Never done them on a stick. They are very time consuming though. The ones where you use the cake ball cooker to make them actually hold their shape better but they are dryer and it takes a lot of time since it only makes about 8 at a time.

DebJ812 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 18

AThere is quite a debate about cake pops actually. Leave it to bakers to get really fired up about it. ;) I make a cake, smash it and mix with frosting. I have a bunch of left over cupcakes from a large order that I'm going to repurpose.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebJ812 

There is quite a debate about cake pops actually. Leave it to bakers to get really fired up about it. icon_wink.gif
I make a cake, smash it and mix with frosting. I have a bunch of left over cupcakes from a large order that I'm going to repurpose.

Right? who knew an entire market would grow out of using up cake scraps?

DebJ812 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 7:56pm
post #11 of 18

AI wish I would've thought if it!

DebJ812 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 7:56pm
post #12 of 18

A^ *of

I've had it with autocorrect. My phone always subs in "if" for "of"

SunshineBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineBaker Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 6:14pm
post #13 of 18

Getting ready to try some cake pops again, or maybe cake truffles.  It just kills me to throw away all the cake that I slice off cake layers to get them level, so I'm going to experiment again (tried it once before).  I saw that someone else said to add shortening to the candy melts before melting.  Do most people do that or do you just use the melted candy melts?  Or do you use melted chocolate?

LeTorte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeTorte Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 5:03am
post #14 of 18

if they fall off the stick, it generally means you have either to much frosting in them or that you have not kneaded them enough.   If they are cracking the balls are to cold when coating with the warm chocolate.  If you fridge them, you have to let them warm a bit before dipping.  less frosting also will allow you to fridge them less.  I use a mixer to crumble the cake and I actually don't put any frosting in it at all.  Most recipes out there will tell you that you need frosting or buttercream or something to act as a binding agent but if you use a mixer its not really needed to bind so if you want you can just ad it for flavoring...just a lot less of it.  I use almond bark...easier for me and super inexpensive at walmart.

There is quite a debate about the cake pop vs. bake pop.  I read a blog the other day that was pretty funny, although biased...but it was the lady who made the cake pop roller.  http://heavenlycakepops.com/2013/07/bake-pop-vs-cake-pops/

LeTorte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeTorte Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 5:04am
post #15 of 18

I use Almond Bark....easier to work with for me...super inexpensive at walmart

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 8:50pm
post #16 of 18

So I had a bunch of left over cake and decided to give these little devils a try.  I brought back up into the kitchen (my kids) to tackle this.  1. I put the cake into the food processor, it didn't get broke down like I've seen videos of it.  So I had to add buttercream into it. 2. I must say rolling them were a PITA!! It was nice to have my kids help me, but if I were to make them to sell them I couldn't use their help...lol. 3. I must have left them in the fridge too long b/c even though my candy melts weren't too warm, some did crack. I even had 1 fall off the stick after it had hardened.

The taste wasn't too bad, but the ones I tasted were coated in dark chocolate candy melts and had peanut butter buttercream added.  So they more or less tasted like a buckeye.  The bottom line is I will never offer these and be subjected to make hundreds for people. It was a fun experiment with my kids by my teenage daughter got sick of it quick.  They love eating them though!

So I give all of you HUGE KUDOS that make these to sell them and make hundreds at a time!

bct806 Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 2:39am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeRae80 

So I had a bunch of left over cake and decided to give these little devils a try.  I brought back up into the kitchen (my kids) to tackle this.  1. I put the cake into the food processor, it didn't get broke down like I've seen videos of it.  So I had to add buttercream into it. 2. I must say rolling them were a PITA!! It was nice to have my kids help me, but if I were to make them to sell them I couldn't use their help...lol. 3. I must have left them in the fridge too long b/c even though my candy melts weren't too warm, some did crack. I even had 1 fall off the stick after it had hardened.

The taste wasn't too bad, but the ones I tasted were coated in dark chocolate candy melts and had peanut butter buttercream added.  So they more or less tasted like a buckeye.  The bottom line is I will never offer these and be subjected to make hundreds for people. It was a fun experiment with my kids by my teenage daughter got sick of it quick.  They love eating them though!

So I give all of you HUGE KUDOS that make these to sell them and make hundreds at a time!

Agreed. I HATE doing them. I don't offer them to people. It is far too time consuming. 

tiina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiina20 Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 5:01pm
post #18 of 18

hi all i need to make a number of cake pops for next weekend, can i start them this week and keep them out in room temperature to avoid sweating when storing in the fridge ?  thnks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%