Skylander Portal Cake - Urgent

Decorating By Jazzbythebay Updated 17 Jul 2013 , 4:49am by cinnamonamon

Jazzbythebay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazzbythebay Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 6

Hi...I need some URGENT help with making a power portal cake please.  I have searched google but cannot find any clear instructions on this.  Does anyone have a tutorial or can post me instructions on how to do this please?

Appreciate your help/quick response please...

Thanks...

5 replies
kalaila Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalaila Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,

I had to do a cake a few months ago of Skylanders...I´m still just beginning with cakes this year so it´s not the greatest but here´s a photo of mine if it helps you any.

cinnamonamon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinnamonamon Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 6

I baked 2 8 inch cakes & stacked them. Give it a layer of frosting (more than a crumb coat), then put a circle of white fondant on top. before the fondant hardens, use your finger to indent it in a swirl pattern.  If I recall correctly, I next mixed up the gray fondant (do not finish mixing the color in - it will look more like stone), and made a looooong strip that was a little over 4 inches wide (the height of my cake). Wrap it around the side of the cake. Then repeat -- making a strip that will cover the top edge of the cake & about 1 inch down. This will cover the edge where the white top & the "stone" sides meet. Last, cut several strips that are an inch or inch & a half wide that will go from the top of the stone all the way to the cake board (I used lighter gray fondant for this, just for contrast). Now spend an hour making the perfect "random" blocks by pushing lines/indents into the "stone" fondant all the way around the cake.  Then take a food coloring "marker" and draw the runes-type shapes into the lighter gray strips at the appropriate point.  *note that I used one of those gray strips to cover up the seams I had from attaching the fondant to the sides the way I did.

Just a minute & I'll see if I can figure out how to attach a picture of the cakes I did.

cinnamonamon Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 6

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3053957/skylander-portal-of-power/sort/display_order/

see if this works...it's not the prettiest picture, but it should show details fairly well.

Jazzbythebay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazzbythebay Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 9:53am
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much for your responses.  you both have been most helpful, appreciate!

Cinamonamon - can I ask how much grey sugarpaste did you use to do the portal?...would 750 gms be sufficient for an 8 inch round cake?

Thanks

cinnamonamon Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 4:48am
post #6 of 6

Sorry that I missed this question before! I did this all with MMF, no sugarpaste... 1 batch was more than enough -- in fact, I'm pretty sure I did both of the Portal cakes with the same batch that day.  (1 batch for me is made with 16 oz. of marshmallows & 2ish lbs. of powdered sugar - I don't know if that's "standard" or not, so thought I'd let you know).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%