Carrot Cake That Rises - Fit For A Wedding?

Baking By dukeswalker Updated 14 Jul 2013 , 4:34am by IAmPamCakes

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 4:42am
post #1 of 7

I am in a bind - after tasting and testing multiple recipes we voted this one: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sams-famous-carrot-cake/

the winner.  Then, after baking all 6 layers and wrapping & freezing, and unwrapping and beginning to ice - I realized this cake is WWAAYY to moist and the buttercream kept sliding down & around on the cake.  I am now, at the 12th hour, rebaking the entire cake and am willing to go with anything that is a traditional carrot cake (ONLY carrots, no pineapple, coconut, etc...).

Please help a girl out! :)

6 replies
janetb21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetb21 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 5:43am
post #2 of 7

2 c sugar

2 c flour

2 tsp baking soda

4 tsp cinnamon

3 c shredded carrots

4 eggs

3/4 c oil

3/4 c applesauce

1 c nuts (optional)

1 c raisins (optional)

mix dry ingredients in large bowl.  add eggs and oil, stir until partially mixed, mix in rest of ingredients until moistened.  pour into 2 greased and floured 9 inch round pans.  bake at 350 for about 40 minutes, until cake tester comes out clean.  cool in pans 10 minutes, then turn onto rack to finish cooling.

dukeswalker Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 8:03am
post #3 of 7

thank you!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 7

Janet, this recipe looks very interesting. Is it a thin batter?

dukeswalker Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 7

AI just have such a hard time getting a 4in cake with carrot cake! This time, I even collared my 2in pans, filled then 3/4 and they STILL don't bake up a full 2inch. More like 1 3/4 an inch. Bugs me!!!

janetb21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetb21 Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 4:30am
post #6 of 7

No, it's not really a thin batter.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 4:34am
post #7 of 7

AIt's probably too late, but my favorite carrot cake comes from Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. I think it is called something like world's best carrot cake or something. It is very cakey, and very easy to work with. It's not super dense and wet like some recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%