Dumb Question About Checkerboard On Cake Drum

Decorating By smittyditty Updated 12 Jul 2013 , 3:19am by Smckinney07

smittyditty Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 5

Ok I'm sure I'm just not thinking about this, the right way. Might be the fact that when attempting it last night it was late.icon_confused.gif I have tried twice both times a big fail.

I am trying to cover my cake drum with fondant in a checkerboard pattern. Every time I cut the squares out they get stretched by the time I put them on the board. The problem with fixing them is I already have piping gel on the foil so it clings at the slightest touch. Plus then it gets wrinkles from trying to fix it. Its making me want to scream. It should not be this hard.

What am I doing wrong or forgetting? TIA

4 replies
Smckinney07 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 5

AYou can cover the board with a thin layer of white fondant first, then cut out your white and black squares (so you won't see anything underneath and the fondant has something to adhere to). Let your square sit for a few minutes before placing them so they won't stretch, but they'll still be pliable. I have also seen people do it with an airbrush and a pattern if you have those available. That's how I would do it.

smittyditty Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you I don't have an airbrush...yet..lol  That idea would work well with the thin layer of fondant... I have wasted so much as it is can't get any worse at this point..lol icon_cry.gif ok I put my learning pants back on I'm a big girl now. Thank you.

smittyditty Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 3:13am
post #4 of 5

Yep that worked perfectly!!! Thank you so much. Smckinney

Smckinney07 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 3:19am
post #5 of 5

AOh good! I have those late night brain freezes too ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%