An Owl Template You Would Be Willing To Share Or Point Me To?

Decorating By dawnybird Updated 13 Jul 2013 , 10:29pm by AZCouture

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 14

I'm making an owl first birthday cake and can't seem to find an owl template. I cannot even draw a stick figure, so free-handing is out of the question. I looked at templates on Google and couldn't find one that I could use. I want a baby-fied, or girly looking one. I did try to down load one and it came out too small. I don't have a way to enlarge it.

If anyone would be willing to share their template I would really appreciate it!

13 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 14

AIf you find one you like you can cut and paste it into a Word document to size it. I will look for one

Smckinney07 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 14

Ahttp://www.buttercup-bakeshoppe.com/2012_07_01_archive.html

Or you could do something like this with cutters and add bows http://angelasabandesign.blogspot.com/2011_07_01_archive.html

Google girly fondant owl tutorials, you'll get lots of inspiration pictures

dawnybird Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 14

Wow, thanks so much for the reply and suggestions. Didn't know about cutting and pasting into a Word document! Great to know.

RubinaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubinaD Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 2:54am
post #5 of 14

hello, you could also google owl colouring pages or owl cartoons to get a simplified outline of one, and print and enlarge it the size you want.

Smckinney07 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 3:18am
post #6 of 14

AYour welcome! Also, if you print your template on card stock and wrap it in clear duct tape then cut out the shape (like faux laminate) your template will hold up better if you have to cut out several pieces. 

Yes, as Rubina said, I've found some of the best templates through simple coloring pages!

dawnybird Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubinaD 

hello, you could also google owl colouring pages or owl cartoons to get a simplified outline of one, and print and enlarge it the size you want.

Thank you for that idea!

dawnybird Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckinney07 

Your welcome! Also, if you print your template on card stock and wrap it in clear duct tape then cut out the shape (like faux laminate) your template will hold up better if you have to cut out several pieces. 

Yes, as Rubina said, I've found some of the best templates through simple coloring pages!

Great idea for "laminating"!!

Smckinney07 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 14

AI can't take credit for that, I saw it one day online but I can't remember where. I'm sure it's not a new idea but not something I would have ever thought to do! Good luck with your cake

RubinaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubinaD Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 4:50am
post #10 of 14

hi there, I like your idea of covering the template in tape, brilliant, never thought of it. - side note, I see that you are online, how do become online? 

Sonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonya Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 14

You can also take your picture you got online and print it out and trace it on the thin foamcore board and then cut it out of the foamcore board. I use a hot knife that I ordered online to cut it out. Then you have a sturdy template you can use over and over again unlike a paper template that will roll up sooner or later ;)

dawnybird Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 10:06pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonya 

You can also take your picture you got online and print it out and trace it on the thin foamcore board and then cut it out of the foamcore board. I use a hot knife that I ordered online to cut it out. Then you have a sturdy template you can use over and over again unlike a paper template that will roll up sooner or later ;)

That's a really good idea! Thanks to all of you who gave me advice! I have the little owl made and she turned out really cute!

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 10:10pm
post #13 of 14

If you need to enlarge it much it will lose it's clarity. You can it a better quality for enlarging by using vector magic online. your first 2 times are free

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 10:29pm
post #14 of 14

Rather than foam core, you can also print it out on card stock. I do that a lot, and it's good for a couple of uses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%