Wrapped Cakes?

Decorating By Earlval33 Updated 12 Aug 2013 , 8:00pm by Earlval33

Earlval33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Earlval33 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 13

AA friend sent me a picture of a wedding cake that is 3 tiers but they are wrapped in layers...you can't actually see the separate tiers...kind if like geint flower petals? Does anyone know what this is called or of any tutorials?

12 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 13

AI immediately thought of this website, here's a link to what I think your talking about http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com/2010/09/rose-petal-cake.html

She does awesome work, and she's a CC member. I would email her and ask for some tips. Good luck

Earlval33 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 13

ACould I email you a picture?

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 13

can you post the pic here so that we know what you're describing?

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckinney07 

I immediately thought of this website, here's a link to what I think your talking about http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com/2010/09/rose-petal-cake.html

She does awesome work, and she's a CC member. I would email her and ask for some tips. Good luck

SMcKinney07, aren't you just the sweetest!  To the OP, please post a picture of your cake and I'll see what I can do to help (if someone doesn't beat me to it)!

Earlval33 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 13

ACould I email it to someone to post here? I can't post a pic from my iPhone, I've tried 100's of times!

Smckinney07 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 13

AJennifer-Your welcome! I read your blog all the time and it's been super helpful, always learning right! I always wonder about responding with a link to someone else's blog, since it's not my work or advice I don't want to offend anyone! But I suppose that's what it's all there for :)

EarlVal-I wouldn't mind you emailing it to me but I always check in with my iPad and I'm not sure I can post pics from here but I will try so everyone can see it. [email protected] I can probably copy and paste into this thread from my email.

I haven't got to uploading my own pics yet because I'm not ready to battle my daughter for the computer and the computer for my pictures lol. Cakes I can do, computers not so much ;)

Earlval33 Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 12:16am
post #8 of 13

AI just emailed it to you thank you so much!!

Smckinney07 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 10:12am
post #9 of 13

Ahttp://cakesdecor.com/cakes/38730

So sorry, just saw your email! I couldn't get it to paste here but I did manage to link to the photo! The three tiers are covered with orange fondant (obviously lol) and she's made some ruffles collars, lovely! Jennifer probably has an easier way to help you. I would cover my tiers with fondant, then add some tylose into the same color fondant for your wrapped sections (I don't know what/if there's a name for these). I'd take a new or just for cakes cloth and measure the area around your cakes, in the picture some are overlapping so I'd add some length. Cut your strips at the highest point you want them to reach on the cake then curve your cut downwards on each side, just slightly, so they make that nice v shape when they meet or overlap. Then just fold the edges down a bit. If your not going to really ruffle the edges you probably don't need the tylose-it just helps me to roll my fondant out thinner. I hope this makes sence!

Hopefully someone can give you some more coherent directions ;)

Earlval33 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 9:55pm
post #10 of 13

thank you so much!!! its either that or a cake that looks like stacked motorcycle tires and im really trying to steer her away from that!!

Smckinney07 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 10:11pm
post #11 of 13

ALol, Those are two totally different directions! I think the orange cake is beautiful, it's a bold color, but she really pulled it off! It's simple yet elegant and fun all at the same time! Hopefully, Jennifer or someone else will be able to give you easier directions.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 2:01am
post #12 of 13

AWell, if the cake is from a CakesDecor user, your best bet is to send them a message. But if I were doing it, I would probably use Fondarific, and just cut "mountain type" shapes out it. Those would wrap around the cake and just turn the edge down for that collar effect. At some point you'll have several layers of fondant on the same tier.

Earlval33 Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 8:00pm
post #13 of 13

AHow much fonderific do you think I would need for this cake? I usually use MMF but I have a hard time covering cakes and since this such an important cake I'm willing to go the extra mile! I think I may practice on cake pans or something this week, what color is added other than orange? I love the color!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%