Jeff_Arnett Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 12:14pm
post #1 of

WOW...did anyone catch ABC's The Lookout last night? It was a wedding edition and one category was a wedding cake taste test.

 

Three cakes...a $2200 New York designer cake, a $300 supermarket cake and a baked-at-home from Betty Crocker cake mix cake that cost $12 to make. While of course the designer cake was spectacular in appearance, the Betty Crocker cake won the taste test everywhere across the country, even in a blindfold test. Now why do I bother to bake from scratch? (That's just rhetoric...no changes in the baking on the horizon!)

 

It does, however, show how people's tastes are trained toward a lot of convenience foods....while the high end cake was without doubt made with the best ingredients around and a box of cake mix's ingredient list looks like a chemistry experiment, people still like what's familiar to them in the end.

116 replies
denetteb Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 2:48pm
post #2 of

Rats, I missed it.  I have been watching the show but didn't notice it on the schedule last night.

cupadeecakes Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 3:15pm
post #3 of

When I was still in the "hobbying" phase I would try a new cake recipe and decorate it every Sunday, and take it to work on Monday for my co-workers.  One weekend I was running short on time and just baked a boxed cake mix and decorated it.  Monday morning - everyone RAVED over my cake telling me "this is the best one yet!"
 

bct806 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 4:30pm
post #4 of

Wow. That is crazy. I can taste the difference in a from scratch and a chemical box cake. When I moved my sister started having her friend (also a cake decorator) make the cake. She made a strawberry boxed cake and it was the worst thing I ever tasted but no one but my husband seemed to notice. Nothing against people that make box cakes, just not for me. 

IAmPamCakes Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 4:58pm
post #5 of

AI meant to watch it. Maybe it'll show up on OnDemand. bct, a girl made a cake for a birthday party I went to, and it was so clearly boxed strawberry cake with goopy canned cream cheese icing. Gross! The cake was a mess, and Wilton fondant was used to cover the whole thing. I'm not sure if anyone noticed the 'boxed' taste, but I sure did. And the canned icing? Not even the close to the right consistency.

bct806 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 5:01pm
post #6 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmPamCakes 

I meant to watch it. Maybe it'll show up on OnDemand.
bct, a girl made a cake for a birthday party I went to, and it was so clearly boxed strawberry cake with goopy canned cream cheese icing. Gross! The cake was a mess, and Wilton fondant was used to cover the whole thing.
I'm not sure if anyone noticed the 'boxed' taste, but I sure did. And the canned icing? Not even the close to the right consistency.

I honestly think the flavored (lemon, strawberry, etc) are even worse when it comes to boxed cakes. 

mclar133 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 7:40pm
post #7 of

It is what we're use to is what we like. I remember my Mom baking scratch cakes for us as does my husband. I've gone back and forth depending on time for cakes I've made at home while my son was growing up. My son totally loves "bakery" cakes but his most favorite is Philsbury Fun Fetti. LOL Go figure. So next year when he gets married his groom's cake will be Fun Fetti while the cupcake Wedding cake will be made from scratch. LOL

 

Saw the "box" vs "scratch" back when he was in grade school.  Parents cooked lunch in the school's cafeteria for the kids and made homemade Macaroni and Cheese. No kids liked it because it wasn't Kraft from the box.

AZCouture Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 8:02pm
post #8 of

That was so disheartening.ouch.gif But it certainly wasn't a panel of couples seeking a wedding cake either. I'm sure if proper judges or people actually looking for a nice cake would have been consulted, that wouldn't have happened.

AZCouture Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 8:05pm
post #9 of

Here's the show.

 

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/cake-test-19633970#.Ud7Rb3PNhgc

Norasmom Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 8:18pm

I believe it.  The palate is trained.  

kikiandkyle Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 9:11pm

AI love how the guy is saying he loves the Betty Crocker because it's homemade! Doh!

bct806 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 10:19pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclar133 

It is what we're use to is what we like. I remember my Mom baking scratch cakes for us as does my husband. I've gone back and forth depending on time for cakes I've made at home while my son was growing up. My son totally loves "bakery" cakes but his most favorite is Philsbury Fun Fetti. LOL Go figure. So next year when he gets married his groom's cake will be Fun Fetti while the cupcake Wedding cake will be made from scratch. LOL

 

Saw the "box" vs "scratch" back when he was in grade school.  Parents cooked lunch in the school's cafeteria for the kids and made homemade Macaroni and Cheese. No kids liked it because it wasn't Kraft from the box.

lol. That is so funny. I LOVE Kraft mac and cheese. Even though I know it is just as fake as can be. Can we say powdered cheese? haha. I love it all the same!

AZCouture Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 10:23pm

AMmmmm, Kraft Thick n Creamy macaroni is the bombdiggity! I'm no food snob, except when it comes to cake.:-D

Elcee Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 10:24pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclar133 
Saw the "box" vs "scratch" back when he was in grade school.  Parents cooked lunch in the school's cafeteria for the kids and made homemade Macaroni and Cheese. No kids liked it because it wasn't Kraft from the box.

LOL! I've always made mac & cheese from scratch. When my daughter was little and would be told dinner was mac & cheese, her eyes would light up and she'd say "from a box?" and she'd deflate when I said no. Now she loves (and makes) my mac & cheese (ah, redemption!).

Elcee Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 10:25pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

That was so disheartening.ouch.gif But it certainly wasn't a panel of couples seeking a wedding cake either. I'm sure if proper judges or people actually looking for a nice cake would have been consulted, that wouldn't have happened.

Agreed!

IAmPamCakes Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 10:26pm

AI wish I could still eat Kraft Mac n' cheese. It gives me indigestion. :-(

smittyditty Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 11:38pm

Um I love Kraft mac n cheese but I make it with half the butter and so its WAY cheesier!!! mmMMmmm

I thought it was really funny that the reporter had to remember her husband and children...umm yeah they had hot bodies.

AZCouture Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 11:39pm

I use half and half too. Creamy factor upped!

Norasmom Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 1:39am

Taste of cake aside, I was not impressed by the $2000 Ron Ben Israel cake.  I've become jaded by the beauty of the cakes I see on this website, I guess.

cakefat Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 2:10am

haha- that was very funny. I love that the 'beefcake' kept describing the Betty Crocker as homemade.   

 

I used to make birthday cakes for my coworkers..and once, in  a hurry - I made the WASC...it was a huge hit. Everyone said "this is your best one yet. We love it"...and these are all people not have not necessarily grown up with box cakes (like I did in America and most other Americans too ) -these people were from all over SE Asia actually...but all preferred the doctored cake mix. hmmmm.

reginaherrin Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 2:31am

I am curious which came in next and which was the dry one the little girl did not like.  I thought grocery stores use used box mixes.  I also wished they would have used better participants then a little girl, a guy that shovels food in his mouth without eating it and the other two.  They didn't have to use food critics but just more normal people.  Also, since 2 of the cakes had fruit, which not all people like (myself included) that could be some of the reasons they did not like the other two. 

eringm Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 2:53am

AI liked it. Fun story. Everyday people picking the cake they like. Look at it this way...don't have to spend a lot on fancy ingredients ;)

denetteb Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 3:08am

Thanks for the link AZ, I just watched it.  I thought the results were really interesting. 

Annabakescakes Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 3:12am
Quote:
Originally Posted by eringm 

I liked it. Fun story. Everyday people picking the cake they like. Look at it this way...don't have to spend a lot on fancy ingredients icon_wink.gif

HAHAHA! I wouldn't exactly call them "everyday people", but agree that cake mix is just fine.

Lucky6 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 3:54am

AHomemade I like homemade...homemade .....I was just gathering courage to try and bake from scratch..... :-(

cakefat Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 4:16am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

HAHAHA! I wouldn't exactly call them "everyday people", but agree that cake mix is just fine.

 

hahahaha! it's still cracking me up, their 'experts'....

 

I wonder if little miss cupcake was saying RBI's cake was dry?? Does he bake from scratch or from a doctored mix? Lots of the pros do..so just curious?

 

I wouldn't have wanted that bright red 'fruit' stuff on my cake either...I think that was the safeway cake?

IAmPamCakes Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 4:21am

The girl said something about the most expensive cake being the one she didn't care for, and her favorite being the cheapest.

What a joke. It actually kind of irritates me to see that video. All the hard work we do for people, all the love that goes into our cakes and treats, and it basically got body-slammed by these 'journalists.'

AZ is right. It's disheartening. ouch.gif

IAmPamCakes Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 4:23am

BTW.

AZ, top 100 cake designers in the US?! That's awesome!! Good for you! king.gif

AZCouture Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 4:28am

ACrazy huh? I thought for sure the email about it was a joke, but nope...there it was in the magazine. Thanks!

Annabakescakes Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 4:47am
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefat 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

HAHAHA! I wouldn't exactly call them "everyday people", but agree that cake mix is just fine.

 

hahahaha! it's still cracking me up, their 'experts'....

 

I wonder if little miss cupcake was saying RBI's cake was dry?? Does he bake from scratch or from a doctored mix? Lots of the pros do..so just curious?

 

I wouldn't have wanted that bright red 'fruit' stuff on my cake either...I think that was the safeway cake?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmPamCakes 

The girl said something about the most expensive cake being the one she didn't care for, and her favorite being the cheapest.

What a joke. It actually kind of irritates me to see that video. All the hard work we do for people, all the love that goes into our cakes and treats, and it basically got body-slammed by these 'journalists.'

AZ is right. It's disheartening. ouch.gif

Yeah, that Safeway cake looked crazy with all the mismatch cakes all slapped together. I hope that was their filling, otherwise RBI may need to consider getting something less fake. Gross. But he says he will accept being called a cake artist, but he calls himself a baker. If he bakes from a mix after saying that, then he needs slapped, lol. I use a commercial mix with many modifications because I cannot bake a cake I like from scratch to save my life! Literally. I do not call myself a baker. I will accept the compliment if someone else calls me one, but I do not advertise it. Now, I can bake EVERYTHING else, I have ever tried to bake came out perfect, from pizza dough to biscuits to cream puffs to muffins and cookies and bread, just hate scratch cake from my oven...

And it is also not my love, the love part is putting my cakes together and decorating them, and seeing the end result, and making someone's day.

 

And, I honestly fast forwarded it through the "birthday cake jumper lady" because she made me sick to look at her.  I am a freaking diva, but I hate to see someone with that much make-up on, overly made -up. And the flamboyant outfit and everything... Too over the top. I am a ripped jeans and punk t-shirt type of gal, myself. Or a nice pair of jeans and pretty top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%