Structure Question For Transporting A "ball" Cake

Decorating By sixinarow Updated 10 Jul 2013 , 9:18pm by sixinarow

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 5

I'm hoping you guys can talk through a cake structure with me. In 2 weeks, I have a 10" bottom (topped w 8" sps) and 8" middle (topped with 6" sps) 4" styrofoam spacer topped with a 6" ball. I'm not worried about the 8 and 10 inch, my question is for the spacer and the ball on top. I'm worried about the ball shifting since it's baked in 2 pieces, so I was thinking of drilling through the top of the 6" sps plate and pounding a center dowel though the ball and styrofoam into the hole in the sps plate.

Would that work? Is there a better way? I need to try to transport this cake stacked, the styrofoam spacer will be covered with fondant to make it look like part of 8" tier mountain, so I can't put the spacer and ball on when I get to the venue.

Am I over-thinking this?

Thanks for your help!

4 replies
knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 5

I just made a ball cake and the customer wanted me to make sure the ball would not roll off the other tier it sat on.  I did it just the way you described! I drilled a hole in the board the ball sat on and pushed a dowel through into the bottom tier. It worked great! I 

sixinarow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 5

AThank you!! I just don't want it to shift during transport. My other option would be to lose the 4" spacer and set the ball on the 6" sps itself. Decisions, decisions!

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 5

I think it'll be just fine the way you described! I also had a foamcore board as my cake board and I also pushed the dowel down into that board as well.  It wasn't budging! 

sixinarow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by knlcox 

I think it'll be just fine the way you described! I also had a foamcore board as my cake board and I also pushed the dowel down into that board as well.  It wasn't budging! 

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%