Pricing For Cupcake Shoes

Baking By cupcakesbyruth Updated 12 Jul 2013 , 9:17pm by ApplegumPam

cupcakesbyruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesbyruth Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 18

ASo I'm sure you've seen those shoe cupcakes on Pintrest and all over Facebook. Well I have been asked to do a dozen for a cast party. I wasn't sure how much to charge. I regularly get 36.00 per dozen for classic flavors and 45.00 per dozen for alcohol enhanced cupcakes. I was thinking 60.00 per dozen as there is so much more work with these cupcake shoes which will include design from the show. Any thoughts? I would really appreciate any feed back. I am in south jersey just outside of Philadelphia. Thanks!

17 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 18

ACheck out the Pricing Formula link in my signature below. Also be sure you are legally allowed to sell food, since some states require a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen.

cupcakesbyruth Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 18

AThanks Jason. I read your article. I was looking for more specific feedback directly related to my question regarding pricing for this particular product.

jason_kraft Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 18

AHow many additional hours of labor are you looking at for each dozen, over and above what you would spend on a dozen standard cupcakes?

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 18

Do you mean the cupcakes where the toe of the high heel is the cupcake then then there is a piece that extends back to one of the cylinder wafer cookies to make the heel? (Hopefully that description makes sense).

If so, I made these earlier this week and charged $5.00 a piece ($10 a pair).  Once I was done them, I was going crazy because they took a lot longer than I thought, especially since each 'pair' of shoes was to be a different design.  $5 is the pair minimum I think you should charge for them, you could easily charge more

cupcakesbyruth Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 8:26am
post #6 of 18

AThank you so much. This is the price I was thinking. I knew the extra materials and time would drive the price. The customer decided to go with something a bit more simple. Thank you! Would love to see pics of your "shoes"!

cupcakesbyruth Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 8:31am
post #7 of 18

AThank you so much annie84...This is the price I was thinking. I knew the extra materials and time would drive the price. The customer decided to go with something a bit more simple. Thank you! Would love to see pics of your "shoes"!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 10:35am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesbyruth 

Thanks Jason. I read your article. I was looking for more specific feedback directly related to my question regarding pricing for this particular product.

Very nice euphemism, above.

Jason, I'm just curious, with all the CC postings recently about pricing, do you have a sense of how many people want to learn vs how many want the shortcut method? (Like my euphemism?)

jason_kraft Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 11:41am
post #9 of 18

A

Original message sent by MimiFix

Jason, I'm just curious, with all the CC postings recently about pricing, do you have a sense of how many people want to learn vs how many want the shortcut method? (Like my euphemism?)

Based on what is a very small sample size it seems that many people do really want to learn, and realize after reading the article that relying on the cost structure of random strangers in other parts of the world is not necessarily the best way to set prices. In this case the issue may be related to compliance with local food safety laws, as NJ does not have a CFL, but of course the OP is free to follow or ignore advice as she sees fit.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 12:56pm
post #10 of 18

"Do you mean the cupcakes where the toe of the high heel is the cupcake then then there is a piece that extends back to one of the cylinder wafer cookies to make the heel? (Hopefully that description makes sense)."   What did you use for the sole of the shoe? When I made them I used Milano cookies and those are really expensive. Also were they regular sized cupcakes or large? Too many varying factors to price someone else's product.

In this case the issue may be related to compliance with local food safety laws, as NJ does not have a CFL, but of course the OP is free to follow or ignore advice as she sees fit." I didn't see anything in his/her post that indicated they were baking at home.....did I miss something?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 1:15pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

In this case the issue may be related to compliance with local food safety laws, as NJ does not have a CFL, but of course the OP is free to follow or ignore advice as she sees fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

I didn't see anything in his/her post that indicated they were baking at home.....did I miss something?

Hi BatterUp! Jason can only work with the info available to him, so In answering my question he only suggested that it might be part of the reason, not that it was. HTH

BatterUpCake Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 1:42pm
post #12 of 18

I guess the only one that can answer is the OP....CupakesbyRuth???? But if she is operating illegally I am sure she is aware of it but it doesn't hurt to point it out just in case. But when someone asks a question are we to automatically assume they are operating illegally and that is the reason they don't want to take advice? Wouldn't it be better to just say...we can't price your products for you or ignore the post.

annie84 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 1:43pm
post #13 of 18

Here's a link to the cupcakes we made: http://instagram.com/p/bhBPvIBA0m/

I used baby cookies for the part between the cupcake and the shoe. I put some white chocolate on them to make them white. It cost me about $0.50 for a sleeve of the cookies. I used about a third of a sleeve. I used the cylinder wafer cookies as the heel, spent $1.50 on a tin of them, there were about 25 in the tin, only needed half a cookie per 'shoe'.  The cupcakes are just a standard sized cupcake.  We charge $2.75 per standard cupcake with just a swirl of icing on the top in our store.

BatterUpCake Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 2:11pm
post #14 of 18

Adorable!!! I just really like the flavor of Milano's and the variety of fillings they have. Also where in the heck do you get wafers for $1.50 a tin...unless it's a small tin. They are about $4 at WalMart.

annie84 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 2:20pm
post #15 of 18

The brand is Rondoletti, 135g to a tin. So not huge, I normally see them in tins about double the size.  I got them at a Dutch store around the corner from me.  I'm sure if I had gone to the specialty grocery store up the street they would have been at least $6.

newbe86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbe86 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 3:16pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesbyruth 

So I'm sure you've seen those shoe cupcakes on Pintrest and all over Facebook. Well I have been asked to do a dozen for a cast party. I wasn't sure how much to charge. I regularly get 36.00 per dozen for classic flavors and 45.00 per dozen for alcohol enhanced cupcakes. I was thinking 60.00 per dozen as there is so much more work with these cupcake shoes which will include design from the show. Any thoughts? I would really appreciate any feed back. I am in south jersey just outside of Philadelphia. Thanks!

I watched a tutorial on how to make these and I would certainly charge more them. They may not require a whole lot of intricate work (depending on how detailed you get) but they are certainly time consuming. You say you charge $36.00 for a dozen cupcakes, $60.00 per dozen for custom cupcakes is really reasonable. I'm sure you have done the math, but it breaks down to $6.00 per shoe, which is twice the cost of a regular cupcake. I think your pricing is very reasonable. Seeing as I'm sure twice your time goes into the shoes as goes into a regular order of cupcakes.

BatterUpCake Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 7:09pm
post #17 of 18

I need to get out of the WalMart mindset!! lol....I am charging appropriately now but I still feel guilty when I do a quote and think OMG someone would REALLY pay $60 for 12 cupcakes! lol I am in no way saying they are not worth it!

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 9:17pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

I need to get out of the WalMart mindset!! lol....I am charging appropriately now but I still feel guilty when I do a quote and think OMG someone would REALLY pay $60 for 12 cupcakes! lol I am in no way saying they are not worth it!

THIS is what 80% of cake decoraters struggle with......   keep reminding yourself that

YOU are NOT your customer !!

People WILL pay for what they want - WHEN they can't do it themselves !!  (and this relates to anything from hand knitted jumpers for your kids, to somebody that will walk the dog for you)

My basic cupcakes start at $5 and go up to $15-$20 EACH  -  no, I don't sell 100 dozen each and every week - but WHEN I do sell them, I am paid for the amount of work that each one takes (and sometimes you need to remind yourself that those little suckers can take the same amount of time to decorate as a 9inch cake!!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%