Help To Avoid A Cake Disaster

Decorating By LeslieStew Updated 18 Jul 2013 , 3:50am by LeslieStew

LeslieStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeslieStew Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:25am
post #1 of 20

Hello, hobby baker here till I get some more practice in and can get legal.  My friend is having a surprise party for his wife and I'm making the cake as my gift.  He wants an open book with some spells from the tv show charmed written on it.  I have the Wilton open book pan so I don't need to carve and I've painted the pages on rice paper, my concern is attaching it to the cake.  I am going to make a mmf to cover the cake.  I read that piping gel will attach it, but I don't want to mess up the details.  

Any tips or tricks?

Heres a picture of one of the pages so you have an idea what I'm working with

19 replies
Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:31am
post #2 of 20

AWow that is so nice! Great job! Sorry I don't have experience with rice paper. Just wanted to say that sounds cool! Try checking YouTube tutorials? Good luck! Post a pic when it's done! :)

LeslieStew Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:37am
post #3 of 20

Thanks :) I have no experience with it either, lol.  I've watched one video on You Tube, but didn't look for more (I got there through a Google search). I'll definitely search it directly. 

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 4:05am
post #4 of 20

AI wouldn't use piping gel to attach it to the cake! I ordered some rice paper a while back and have been looking up tutorials on what to do with it. I haven't worked with it yet but I'd be afraid it would dissolve or smudge the writing-I would experiment with a separate piece of the rice paper with some writing, I'd cover with fondant a rub lightly with crisco then try applying it.

Like I said, I'm not sure, and I could be totally wrong! Hopefully someone with experience will know more

LeslieStew Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 20

Fortunately (unfortunately?) I happen to have a half done page to test with because I left it sitting out over night for the dye to dry and it started to curl in on itself, when I went to straighten it it cracked in half....  Instead of struggling to fix it, working with a medium I'm unfamiliar with, I decided to just start over.  

rjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjcakes Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 20

Not sure if this will help but I bought some of the wafer paper plaques to adhere to cookies this year and I used corn syrup. I spread it very thin on the back with my finger then applied it to a cookie that had been frosted with royal icing and it stuck perfectly. The wafer paper also curled up very fast! The corn syrup tip was from the instructions that came with the wafer paper.

Good luck and your page looks awesome!

RJ

Smckinney07 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 11:22am
post #7 of 20

AOh I'm so sorry! That stinks!

LeslieStew Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 12:55pm
post #8 of 20

After a very ementary school like science project where I rolled out some fondant and applied different sections of my broken piece with different adhesives and let sit out overnight I can report this:

Crisco- Page sticks nicely, no running of the gel color, edges will curl up but can be placed back down

Piping Gel- Page will eventually sticks, color will run, edges curl up and can be placed back down once dry

Water-  Page will eventually stick, color will run, edges curl up but can't be placed back down after drying

Corn Syrup- Page stuck nicely, small color runing, edges will curl very slightly but can be placed back. 

Clear Vanilla Extract- Hahahahahahahaha, just no.... 

So after my very scientific studydetective.gif It'll either be Crisco  or corn syrup.  I think I like the look of corn syrup the best, its less "greasy" On the top of the fondant.  

Thanks so much for the ideas!! I'll post a photo when finished 

LeslieStew Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 20

Not a complete disaster,  but not perfect....  

Inspiration picture:

Cake picture:

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 20

OMG...Disaster? That's the complete opposite! Great job!

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 2:31pm
post #11 of 20

AIt's beautiful!

Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 3:09pm
post #12 of 20

Wow! You did a fantastic job on that! 

rjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjcakes Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 4:18pm
post #13 of 20

ABeautiful cake-you did a great job!

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 4:34pm
post #14 of 20

In the future, all you have to do is when you are ready to add the page to the cake (which needs to be sealed in a plastic bag while being stored or it will dry out and will break) is put it in the freezer for about 10 seconds or so (on a flat surface is best) and then bring it out and place it on the cake.  It will condensate just a tad and pretty much wet the back enough to stick to the cake. 

Smckinney07 Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 6:34pm
post #15 of 20

AIt turned out really nicely! You must remember that you are your own worst critic (is that the expression? Well it's at least something like that) regardless its true! It's great to strive to do better each time, but try not to be so hard on yourself! Especially trying a new medium, which can be super frustrating!

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 7:19pm
post #16 of 20

AI think it looks great!!! Can I ask how you made those pages - they look awesome!

LeslieStew Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 2:50am
post #17 of 20

Thanks so much everyone!  I am totally my own worst critic. I think we all are.  Its easy to pick apart your own work.  But the birthday girl loved the cake and it was super yummy so that's all that is important icon_biggrin.gif

@still_learning i made the pages by taking rice paper (from the asian grocery store) and drawing the images on with a paint brush and undiluted gel dye

I printed off the writing and traced it because my freehand caligraphy isnt that great lol

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 11:51am
post #18 of 20

AWow - that painting is amazing!!! Thanks for sharing how you did it - WOW!!!

rockymtnbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockymtnbaker Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 2:14am
post #19 of 20

Just a little FYI..a couple of years ago, I had a cake that had japanese kanji all over it..no way was I going to try and paint that on myself! Although I would like to get better at painting, but I digress. I went to my local Kroger bakery and gave them a word document that I had printed out with all the characters I needed, and they ran it through their handy dandy printer onto rice paper. I then cut out the characters and adhered them to the butter cream on my cake with piping gel.It worked great and only cost me a couple of dollars Just wanted to pass on the info.

The book cake looks great, BTW!

LeslieStew Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 3:50am
post #20 of 20

Awesome information!  Thank you, I did not realize that was even an option ^_^

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%