Homemade Fondant ... Would Like Feedback From Other Fondant Users!

Baking By DaLush Updated 10 Jul 2013 , 5:05am by DaLush

DaLush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaLush Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:15am
post #1 of 3

Hey Everyone~

I just recently joined this site and have been doing cakes for about 6 months now(self taught). Thanks for all the great ideas and help out there. I wanted to know other CC users thoughts and input on a variation to the MMF recipe that I'm currently using. I have tried different recipes and didn't like that it cracked or had a bad texture so after doing some reading this is what I tweaked about the original recipe.  I have had pretty good success with it and mixing it with MFF makes it even easier to use. Here it is

Large Batch:

4 cups mini marshmallows ( Wal-Mart campfire) 

6 Tbsp. Heavy whipping cream

3 Tbsp. Butter (Unsalted)

2 tsp. Vanilla (clear if you prefer)

4 - 5 tsp. Glycerin(Wal-Mart)USP Food grade

3 Tbsp. Light Corn Syrup

8- 10 cups Powered Sugar

1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil

Plastic Wrap/Plastic bag

Shortening if desired

If you like the fondant to be less sticky to your bowl and spoon you can grease it with shortening... I don't. I unfortunately do not have a stand mixer so the last part is for all the hand kneaders out there.

First place mini marshmallows and heavy whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 20 seconds stirring in increments of 20 seconds until mostly melted.

Then stir in butter, glycerin, vanilla and corn syrup.

Add 1 - 2 cups of powered sugar to the mixture at a time until you get the mixture to firm up and becomes less liquidly.

Then put a good amount of powdered sugar on your work surface and then pour out the mixture into it and knead in the rest of the powdered sugar in until you have the desired texture. Cover fondant in small amount of vegetable oil then wrap twice in plastic wrap then place in plastic bag. Makes about 2 to 2.5 lbs. 

I would not use any kind of cooking spray.. it makes the fondant crust after storing it. Using the vegetable oil eliminates this from happening.  Thanks for looking!

2 replies
dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:29am
post #2 of 3

It sounds good. I might give it a go. I usually use Mac'smom's Buttercream Flavored MMF. Do you make this and then mix it with regular MMF?

DaLush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaLush Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 5:05am
post #3 of 3

I usually just use this recipe on it's own but if I need a lot I will sometimes mix it with Michelle Fosters Fondant. I have never added the butter flavoring to my fondant but maybe that is something I will try next time. Let me know how it works out for you if you give it a try. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%