I Think My Kitchen Aid Is Dying :(

Decorating By sixinarow Updated 11 Jul 2013 , 1:05am by kikiandkyle

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 2:31am
post #1 of 15

I was making bread this afternoon and it stopped mixing. So I turned it off, hoping that it was just over-heated. I let it rest, cleaned it and tried it again, it started up and then stopped again. Anyone have this happen?? Can it be fixed (please,oh please, oh please) or am I gonna cry myself to sleep? icon_cry.gif

14 replies
Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 2:41am
post #2 of 15

I haven't had it done in years, but you used to be able to get them repaired by the company. Look them up

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 2:58am
post #3 of 15

ADid you buy it from Costco? If so, you can just return it to the store (no matter how many years you've owned it) and get a new one.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:05am
post #4 of 15

And there are lots of great tutorials on You Tube if you or a friend are at all handy.  I've replaced gears in mine, and they show you exactly how to take it apart and put it back together.  Parts are cheap.  I've also replaced the planetary head where the implements attach.  This is one of the few things worth buying anymore that can actually be repaired!

Liz

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:11am
post #5 of 15

AExact same thing happened to me but I was making soft pretzel dough. I had it repaired at an authorized place and it's been working fine since. Some gears were worn out. After the repair it sounded a bit different - a bit shrill - but it mixes fine. They had it fixed incredibly fast - next time I might try to fix it myself, thanks Liz.

sixinarow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:13am
post #6 of 15

We got it 15 years ago as a wedding present, unfortunately not from Cosco. :( My hubs is taking it apart as we speak, makes me sick to my stomach...poor mixer..

sixinarow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:16am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

And there are lots of great tutorials on You Tube if you or a friend are at all handy.  I've replaced gears in mine, and they show you exactly how to take it apart and put it back together.  Parts are cheap.  I've also replaced the planetary head where the implements attach.  This is one of the few things worth buying anymore that can actually be repaired!

Liz

Thanks!! We googled it, my hubs thinks a gear is skipping (???) maybe he said stripping (???) then he started talking in engineer-speak and my eyes glazed over. He thinks he can fix it...fingers crossed!!

liz at sugar Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:19am
post #8 of 15

Yes, the gears in the regular models are nylon/plastic.  I broke mine trying to beat frozen butter (too impatient).

You can order a couple online and have a spare.

Tell him to save the HUGE amount of grease that is in there keeping it all lubricated - it all has to go back in. :)

Liz

sixinarow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:25am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

Tell him to save the HUGE amount of grease that is in there keeping it all lubricated - it all has to go back in. :)

Liz

That kind of scares me a little...

liz at sugar Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:34am
post #10 of 15

It scared me too, when I saw it all.  icon_surprised.gif

But even if you had pitched it, they sell new buckets of it.

Liz

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 4:48am
post #11 of 15

AThe YouTube videos are awesome, you can also Google parts lists for every model out there, I ordered my parts from Amazon. I replaced the planetary on mine and it ran like a dream after that, much better and quieter than before.

sixinarow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 12:24pm
post #12 of 15

It's the worm gear, so I ordered 3 of them from amazon last night with the free 2-day shipping. Thanks for all the advice, glad those suckers are so cheap!! Now to wait and hopefully get it all put together right!! 

kikiandkyle Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 12:40pm
post #13 of 15

AWishing you a speedy KA recovery!

Actually I think I'm going to take my new one back to costco because since I moved house last month I can't use the flex edge beater in it anymore (crappy movers packed it badly) as it's too noisy.

sixinarow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 9:17pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

Wishing you a speedy KA recovery!

Actually I think I'm going to take my new one back to costco because since I moved house last month I can't use the flex edge beater in it anymore (crappy movers packed it badly) as it's too noisy.

Thank you!! 

Moving stinks, we moved a year ago and I think I've just about recovered. icon_wink.gif

It's good to know about the Cosco return policy, if I ever "need" to upgrade to a new/bigger one, I'll try looking there first!

kikiandkyle Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 1:05am
post #15 of 15

AWe'll be moving again before the end of the year as we're building a house, but the good news is I'll be able to do cakes to sell in the new place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%