Curious..how Would *you* Do Greenery And Trees?

Decorating By dailey Updated 10 Jul 2013 , 2:23am by shanter

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 6

I need to make greenery and trees for a large cake.  I am trying to decide what is the best way to go about this.  I *could* used butterceam or royal to pipe in grass but what about the trees?  They do not want evergreens (darn, that would have been so easy).  Instead they want trees with trunks.  The trunks would be easy enough but what about the top part?  Any clever ideas or suggestions?  Or has anyone made this before? Thanks!

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 6

Do they want very realistic trees, or is this for a child's cake so maybe not so real looking?

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 6

AMolded RKT dipped in green candy melts, on top of the trunk.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 12:49am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the replies!  Yes, they are looking for something more realistic.  I am hesitant to used buttercream or royal for the top part of tree for fear the summer heat would melt it.  I like the idea of using RKT.  Maybe I can cover it in fondant to make it look more real?

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 1:52am
post #5 of 6

AI have made several kinds of trees when the good old butter cream piped evergreen won't work. You can make them with wire stuck covered in 50/50 modeling chocolate and fondant shaped and positioned to look like branches. The leaves can either be individually added on(I used a cutter for small leaves) or piped on or done with a topper molded to look like a tree top made out of RKT covered in fondant and stuck on the trunk.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 2:13am
post #6 of 6

I wish I could give credit, but I don't remember who first suggested this:

1. Buy a bunch of grapes and remove the grapes, keeping the stem intact. Think of this as your tree (bare, stem down).

2. If you want, you can use wire to shape the branches or you can snip some out if it's too full.

3. Paint on melted chocolate or, if you have a bowl of melted chocolate, dip the grape cluster "tree" in it.  Wait for the chocolate to dry and then insert the stem of the grape cluster wherever you want the tree. Make sure it's anchored (more melted chocolate?) and won't fall over.

4. "Glue" (melted white chocolate colored green - make sure it's oil-based coloring - or green candy melts your "leaves" on. These can be a few shades of green (or other colors, as you want) gumpaste or fondant using leaf-shaped cutters, or rice krispies tossed with green candy melts (or green-colored white chocolate) put on individually or in clumps. There are also molds of leaves so they are more 3-D than the flat ones cut from fondant.

5. Let the leaf glue dry.

Hope that makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%