Cake For A Fashion Designer, Any Ideas?

Decorating By Dayti Updated 11 Jul 2013 , 2:23pm by smittyditty

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 20

So I have to make a cake in September for a Spanish high end fashion designer, they are gifting the cake to Spanish Vogue magazine. They came to me with some inspiration pictures, cakes made to look like a hatbox, with a shoebox or bag on it etc. Their budget is €1000 so it can be a pretty big cake with lots of leeway for shapes, sizes, carving etc.

Thing is, I don't want to really do the same old same old hatbox thing. I really like a design by Planet Cake which is like a dresser with fashion items on it/around it, but I don't want to just copy the idea.

Can you think of anything original I can do?? I am terrible at coming up with original ideas! The designer in question makes female clothing, doesn't do accessories, so I can't just plonk a Chanel bag and Louboutin shoes on a cake, it would be really wrong on many counts! They did say I could do a bag if I wanted, but it would have to be generic. His winter 2013 collection is really dark, hardly any colour, some splashes of red. I could maybe model some mannequins wearing some of his designs too. I have to include his logo somewhere, and I have to put a copy of Vogue on the cake/board too. I've googled "fashion cake" and other such terms, but I'm really not seeing anything inspirational. I'm stuck....!

19 replies
smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 20

Can you put the name of the designer? I worked in the fashion world for about 6 years.

I might be able to help you. That is a big order and congratulations!!!

Dayti Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 20

I've sent you a message, I kind of don't want to say who it is on here publicly, sorry.

smittyditty Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 20

Ok so I'd look at his fall collection, he has lots of prints.

There is a mini dress that has an awesome print its yellow and black with a bit of the emerald color which is in right now. So you could do that print and a tier in emerald.

Then my next thought is that who ever asked it to be possibly a hat box or a shoe box...seems somewhat insulting. I mean to me it doesn't seem on the same level as high fashion. Unless he is a lover of hats and since they aren't in his collection I'm gonna say no. Lol From what I have seen of other fashion cakes done for Vogue. This makes me think they the non-cake people think its a good idea to do said cake.

I'd do a 3D wedding cake that was shaped uniquely.

Either off balance like topsy turvy but not that exactly or some carved shapes into the cake.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 20

AIf the cake isn't for Chanel, don't put a Chanel bag on it! Did they give you any idea of what the cake is intended to celebrate? If it's a new collection, you don't want to put older designs on it.

smittyditty Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 20

My bad I looked at his website again and the fall collection was older..so true.So scratch what I said...Still go with fall but ask if they have a preview of it. IF the magazines in fall you want to do the closest collection. I'm surprised he still even has fall up on his website. He probably will post the new fall collection in the end of June.

Dayti Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 20

These are the 2 photos his media relations company brought in:

This is the Planet Cake one:

They talking about his fall/winter runway models, which are really dark looking, not like the collection on his webpage. I definitely agree that whatever I do should be more geared to his own designs though...she said he doesn't do accessories but some of his models wore large hats on the runway. I think that's why she was talking about the hat box idea. But it seems a bit "overdone", although these kinds of cakes are very novel still here in Spain. Maybe I should just sketch her what she wants, and stop overthinking things!

Dayti Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

Did they give you any idea of what the cake is intended to celebrate?

It's basically a media stunt as far as I can tell. He will be presenting the cake to Vogue at the Vogue Fashion Night Out in September. So it has to have something his and something theirs on it.

Dayti Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 20

And the Vogue Fashion Night Out, if you don't get it in your country/countries, is basically an evening/night where designer stores stay open later and often have free catering for shoppers, and discounts on their current collections.

forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 20

AThis makes me think fabric swatches, sewing machine, needle & thread, pages of sketches, runway. Isn't there a fashion designer reality show? Maybe see if you can find it on Netflix and watch a couple episodes for inspiration.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 20

How about the magazine idea they showed......that works well as an announcement theme, etc... It conveys what they want....a fashion night out. So with that in mind it makes me think about how I could incorporate both their magazine and the fashion designer.

Ideas:

Open magazine with the fashions walking up out of the magazine. Maybe a staircase coming out of the magazine a girl (not a lot of details, like a mannequin) wearing his clothes.

A cake (like a wedding cake) wrapped artistically in pages torn from the magazine (of his fashions). Then hand paint his designs like designers do (not photo realistic) on fondant.

Maybe some 3d words on your cake that represent fashion like 'Couture', 'Vogue', 'Fashion', 'Style'

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 4:48pm
post #12 of 20

AWhat about a shopping bag with his logo on the side and a copy of vogue sticking out the top? You could put some champagne flutes and canapés on the board.

Remember to keep their budget in mind, as they want a big cake, you don't want to give yourself too much work.

smittyditty Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 4:51pm
post #13 of 20

Sorry had to take the kids to the park. Ok I get it umm...I love where Stitches was going with ideas and I think that is a good road to travel. I mean the point is he is trying to get his name out there but he is also trying to gift them a cake. So you don't want it to be too one sided about him or it might look selfish??? Just a thought though might be off base.

What if you did a Past Present Future of Vogue. You could do 3 hat boxes each with a different print. His print would be the top box. The others would be iconic prints...you could even do the tops with the covers of Vogue from that pattern year. Have them somewhat off set so you could see the covers. If you really wanted you could have them scattered like stairs and underneath could be the letters of VOGUE. Not spelled out straight but Modern like. Over lapping on top of each other kind of thing...you get me Like the LO

VE  you see all the time.

I don't know my brain is thinking...

smittyditty Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 5:10pm
post #14 of 20

Ok after reading his bio his family started making hats in the 19th century so I think hats are in.

Also I saw the prints for fall 2014 they are pretty black red and that somewhat cowhide print. I think there were some sequin stuff that looked cool. That would be great with a red lid on the hat box. Still didn't see many hats though.

Stitches Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 6:39pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

Ok after reading his bio his family started making hats in the 19th century so I think hats are in.

Also I saw the prints for fall 2014 they are pretty black red and that somewhat cowhide print. I think there were some sequin stuff that looked cool. That would be great with a red lid on the hat box. Still didn't see many hats though.

Just make certain anything you do shows his current work. You never know....maybe he isn't friendly with the family members doing hats....so that could be an insult.

Can you actually talk to someone on his personal staff? I'd get his number (not him personally, but his secretary or assistant) or email address from the mag. rep.. It only helps you do a better job if you know more about what his line is. See if you can see some previews of this new line so your representing his current work (sign any non-disclosures needed). I'd even ask for specific color swatches so you know you've got the right shade. The small details are what will please or piss off someone like this.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 7:01pm
post #16 of 20

ABolts of fabric, a dress form, sketches of designs. Sorry I don't have too many ideas but I just really hope you come back here and post a picture of the cake! Really cool and exciting. :)

Dayti Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 7:47pm
post #17 of 20

Wow you guys have come up with lots of ideas, thank you! I need to draw up a couple of sketches for them - I bake and decorate about a 1000 times better than I sketch LOL. I will definitely post a pic when it's done. 

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 8:30pm
post #18 of 20

I did a retirement cake recently with the Planet cake design as inspiration. Here is what I came up with: Feel free to use any of the ideas I used! Also, I am sure you won't want to use the labels I places on the shoebox or bag ;)

Stitches Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 11:05pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti 

Wow you guys have come up with lots of ideas, thank you! I need to draw up a couple of sketches for them - I bake and decorate about a 1000 times better than I sketch LOL. I will definitely post a pic when it's done. 

I'm a former professional artist and my sketches are really bad! Post your design ideas before you make it if you want any feed back on the design. I think we all understand rough sketches.....

I love Sassyzan's idea of bolts of fabric.... or just like a yard of fabric winding around the cake or cake board....that could be really artsy.

smittyditty Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 2:23pm
post #20 of 20

Stitches his reps asked for a hat box as one of the ideas. I still think its weird since he isn't big into hats in his current collection. As far as the fall collection I saw it its gonna be tough its all black and red and a very few prints that are grey black and more marble looking. I kinda feel for her. lol...Its totally opposite his spring collection. I did some more research and he has been in Vogue quite a few times but so far not on the front cover.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%