Heat! Eeek!!

Decorating By Relznik Updated 12 Jul 2013 , 5:35am by auntginn

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 24

Now, I realise that so many CC members live in VERY hot and humid climates and that our 2 weeks of "heat" are nothing to you! icon_biggrin.gif

.... But we're just not set up for it.  Air-con units aren't the norm at home.  It's 28c-29c today and I'm melting!  I've told dh that I'm going to be semi-nocturnal this week....  It's 9pm and I'm about to start work.  To be honest, tonight I only have 3 boards to cover...  but once I need to bake and decorate, I'll work into the small hours and take a nap during the day to catch up on sleep.

I take my hat off to all cakers in hot and humid cakers!!!!  x x x

Suzanne x

23 replies
Lovebug2867 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovebug2867 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 24

This heat is killing me too. Made cupcakes for the guys on my fiancé's work crew luckily they were able to put them in the fridge at work.  The ones I took to my sister on the other hand melted guess that's what I get for using butter instead of shortening in the icing in this hot weather.

niniel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niniel1 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 24

I made a bunch of fondant roses for a cake and they have started melting! I've had a fan running into the kitchen all day to try and limit the damage. I have two cakes to get ready for Friday this week and I think I'll be doing the same as you and working on them at night. I've had to wait until this evening to bake because it was just too hot today to put the oven on. Wish we had A/C and screens on the windows and doors!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 24

Our AC broke and won't be replaced for another week...my gum paste flowers all melted.  Thankfully I didn't have very many and they weren't for a specific cake.  No baking for me until my AC is fixed.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 2:59am
post #5 of 24

I started making gumpaste flowers for cakes in 2 weeks because it is taking FOR-freaking-EVER for things to dry in our heat/humidity right now....grrrrr.

gemmal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gemmal Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 8:43am
post #6 of 24

I'm in London too, On saturday I went out and my nail varnish (I haven't got any cake to make yet so I thought pretty nails would be novel) actually started to melt! I promised the other half I'd make cupcakes for his office this week but he commutes on the tube and I normally make SMBC... Seriously, my nail varnish melted, myself and my icing have no chance! Caking is just a hobby for now so I've pretty much refused to bake for a bit but baking in the day time? You all deserve medals! Or personalised aircon units.

Relznik Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 11:11am
post #7 of 24

Wow! Seriously?  Your nail varnish melted?  Crikey!!!!

Well, I've got a cake in the oven.  I'm baking it now and then will whack it in the freezer as soon as it's cool enough - then take it out to decorate on Thursday.   I've already baked one last week that's in the freezer.  So one more to do after this.

I'm supposed to be making a model for one of my cakes...  but I simply don't have the oomph to do anything!!! icon_sad.gif

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 24

APretty funny to hear about the heatwave from all my British friends this week as it was only 79 and raining here in Houston yesterday! Usually its the other way round!

sixinarow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 24

It was 103 here today..feel sorry for me...please...thumbsdown.gif

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 9:47pm
post #10 of 24

100 right now. Nasty.

sixinarow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 9:56pm
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

100 right now. Nasty.

thumbsdown.gif

Bleh. Too hot to move..without a frosty beverage!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 10:07pm
post #12 of 24

It is only 88 here, but we have 100% humidity. Walking around feels like swimming, and I can barely breathe! I am completely covered in sweat, it is trickling down my back. SO GROSS! I hate sweating!

sixinarow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 10:12pm
post #13 of 24

The worst is sbs (sweaty boob syndrome).

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 10:19pm
post #14 of 24

AUgh. Last week, we had a heat wave of 105-110. Some places were higher. I was NOT turning on the oven. Top it off, swamp coolers are only useful up to the 90s. So things were muggy in the boyfriend's house. Thank goodness my house has air conditioning, so I got a break from the nastiness. This week, we are mid-high 90s. It still sucks, but it's better than 110.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 10:24pm
post #15 of 24

I feel for all you in that heat.  I don't have your heat (85 today) but the humidity here is just awful.  Almost hard to breath.  I have been baking and making flowers at night but I don't have any little ones so I can.  Stay cool :) 

Relznik Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 10:37pm
post #16 of 24

I thought we had a little reprieve today...  it seemed ever so slightly cooler.

But I swear, it's hotter tonight than it was during the day.  I'm just praying that I don't wake in the morning to find a huge bulge in the cakes I've just marzipanned.

I'm pretty much on schedule, so I'm going to call it a night...  tired and headachey!

Suzanne x

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 10:53pm
post #17 of 24

Im in southern california, where it's always hot, but for some reason we are having humidity and i feel like i'm gonna die! i turned on the air and i know i'll regret the bill next month!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 1:18am
post #18 of 24

We were having a heat wave, then it cooled down a bit.  And of all the things, a storm moves in.  Sent a cake with my nephew to his office and he txt me to tell me the cake slid. He said he just put the layers back on top of each other and everyone was happy.  Not everyone i said, I'm devasted.  I have 3 big orders this week, I can't afford the humidity.  icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_redface.gif

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 11:17am
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik 

Now, I realise that so many CC members live in VERY hot and humid climates and that our 2 weeks of "heat" are nothing to you! icon_biggrin.gif

.... But we're just not set up for it.  Air-con units aren't the norm at home.  It's 28c-29c today and I'm melting!  I've told dh that I'm going to be semi-nocturnal this week....  It's 9pm and I'm about to start work.  To be honest, tonight I only have 3 boards to cover...  but once I need to bake and decorate, I'll work into the small hours and take a nap during the day to catch up on sleep.

I take my hat off to all cakers in hot and humid cakers!!!!  x x x

Suzanne x

I've been thinking the same this week!!! I've even had to replace everything I'd normally do with modelling choc with SFP (UK version of GP lol) and it's so annoying! ...at least my brides have lovely weather this week :-)

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 2:53pm
post #20 of 24

The weather here was so humid and yuk yesterday.  I wake this morning, the temp dropped to 70 and I can't believe how dry it is.   It almost feels chilly after the last week.  I live very near the lake so we get "lake effect" weather".   Geez, I can't keep up with this place :( 

sixinarow Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 3:16pm
post #21 of 24

A

Original message sent by auntginn

.  I have 3 big orders this week, I can't afford the humidity.  :cry: :cry: :oops:

I can't wait to see your cakes this week!! :)

auntginn Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 7:48pm
post #22 of 24

Thanks sixinarow, I'm scared with this weather.

newbe86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbe86 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 8:17pm
post #23 of 24

Transporting a cake in this wonderful Missouri summer (95 degree heat and 95% humidity - with no rain) is absolutely terrifying! On top of that, the AC in my car is slowly going out. Ah... when it rains it pours, but its not raining, just pouring, sweat!

auntginn Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 5:35am
post #24 of 24

awe.. newbie, I feel for you. Keep us posted how your cake held up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%