How Far In Advance...

Decorating By cindyb06 Updated 1 Aug 2013 , 9:41am by darkchocolate

cindyb06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindyb06 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 8

Hi!

I am looking for answers here since I am a newbie, and I will try to make it short. My youngest son's baptism is on July 27th (Saturday) and I am doing a small birthday party for my oldest son the next day. For the baptism, I want to bake cake pops (60 less or more) with a receipe from Hungry girl (cake mix with a can of cream soda). The only decoration on them will be a cross (I want to use one of those food gel). For the birthday, I want to bake 3 small cakes (I think the pan is 4 inches) and decoration will be the Octonauts.

question 1- how many days before can I bake the cake pops and the 3 small cakes?

question 2- what is the best way the store them until Saturday and Sunday?

question 3- Can I decorate them in advance or should I wait until the day of....

question 4- what will be the best and easier way to decorate the "octonauts" cakes: icing or fondant?

one will be white, one orange and the other one white and black.

question 5- almond paste or marzipan to make the ears and nose of the octonauts?

Lot of question, I know. Some of you might think I won't be able to do everything I want to do, but this is why I want to start early if possible (I am last minute type of person). thank you for your answers

7 replies
darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 8

I have kept my cakeballs in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, if they are well coated.  Meaning there will be no moisture getting out.  I do make my cake balls from cake already baked and add something as a binder.  Old school cake balls - lol

I bake, crumb coat and let my cakes settle on Thursday for a Saturday pick-up.  The party was on Sunday.  As long as your cakes have a crumb coat, you are sealing the moisture in.  I only use buttercream, so no refrigeration is required.  I am also just a hobby decorator for family and friends.

I store my cakes at room temperature.  I usually decorate the day following baking and crumb coating.

Sorry, but I can't help you with your other questions.  Good luck!

cindyb06 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 8

thank you for your answers. I will start tomorrow with the cake pops since it will take longer to do. I cross my fingers and hope that everything will turn fine...I will let you know if you want icon_smile.gif

darkchocolate Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 8

I would love to see pictures and hear how it (baking and decorating ahead of time) all worked it.

cindyb06 Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 8

HI darkchocolate!

here is the picture of the cake. Everything went smoothly. I started baking the cakes on Wednesday, did my marshmallow fondant in the evening (colors and everything) buttercreamed the cakes on Thursday, put in fridge, put the fondant on on Friday and finished the decorations on sunday morning... It was very good (was afraid of the sweetness since it was a chocolate cake mix and marshmallow fondant) and about the cake pops, they were good but I did not finish them (started on Monday to do them, but was discouraged by the work I have to do, not only the cake pops, but everything else, like cleaning the house before all the people arrived.) so a few of them were dip in chocolate and had sticks but the other one were just plain balls...but they were good anyway.

darkchocolate Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyb06 

HI darkchocolate!

here is the picture of the cake. Everything went smoothly. I started baking the cakes on Wednesday, did my marshmallow fondant in the evening (colors and everything) buttercreamed the cakes on Thursday, put in fridge, put the fondant on on Friday and finished the decorations on sunday morning... It was very good (was afraid of the sweetness since it was a chocolate cake mix and marshmallow fondant) and about the cake pops, they were good but I did not finish them (started on Monday to do them, but was discouraged by the work I have to do, not only the cake pops, but everything else, like cleaning the house before all the people arrived.) so a few of them were dip in chocolate and had sticks but the other one were just plain balls...but they were good anyway.

Cindy,

I think you did a great job.  Cake balls are good, but a lot of work-mainly time consuming- especially if you do a lot of them.  My family likes the Oreo Balls/Truffles. They are very good, but a lot of work,

Did your son and/or guest like the fondant?  I made a cake for a friends' daughter(zebra stripe in my photos).  The kids loved the little fondant balls for the border.  They were asking for fondant balls as I was serving the cake.

I'm starting a cake tomorrow for some friends of ours.  I have never done anything like this and it will be covered in fondant and the "creature" is all fondant.  I hope someone likes fondant at that party. haha

http://cakecentral.com/g/a/3379016/would-fondant-be-too-heavy-for-this/

I hope you are able to relax this week with all the pressure of the birthday party behind you.

cindyb06 Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 1:08am
post #7 of 8

thank you for thinking that I did a great job...

like you said, cake balls are time consuming so no more for me...I will do the cookie balls next time.

everybody liked the fondant. like I said, I thought that the cakes would be very sweet but nope, the taste was very good.

I am relaxing now but in a couple of weeks, my youngest one will turn 1, so another cake for me (now that I know how to make fondant and cakes) I want to try to make a "lego"cake in a number one shape for him so h can destroy it and small cakes for us...I will see.

the cake in the picture is great! you did that? wow!

darkchocolate Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 9:41am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyb06 

the cake in the picture is great! you did that? wow!

No, that cake isn't mine. I was sent that picture to make a cake like that.  I will be starting my baking today for that cake. It will be a similar cake though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%