Lego Birthday Cake

Decorating By drgall Updated 8 Jul 2013 , 6:59pm by KarenK55

drgall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drgall Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 4

I am needing to make a Lego cake for my daughter's birthday.  Does anyone know if anyone and if so, who sells a fondant mat or rolling pin that you can use on fondant to give the texture of the top of legos?  All the mats and pins I have found are "polka dots" and they are not in the perfect geometric pattern of legos.  Please help!  They party is less than a month away and I made the mistake of showing her Cake Wreaks Sunday Sweets today so now she has HUGE ideas of how she wants her cake to look.  Ugh!

3 replies
as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 4

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3051287/width/200/height/400[/IMG]I did a Lego cake a little while ago and I made molds myself for the Lego bricks. To make them I used some old fondant, kneaded in a generous amount of tylose powder and pressed a clean Lego brick into it. I covered the brick in a layer of vegetable oil first so it wouldn't stick and carefully wiggled it out of the fondant lump, then I left the mold to dry for a couple of days. I made several of these using different sizes. They worked very well for making the fondant bricks, I just had to be careful and patient. To make the top surface of my cake look like a Lego board, I actually used my son's Lego board like an impression mat. I washed it and dried it well and used the back side of it. This is a picture of the cake I did this way. It isn't perfect, but the family I made it for loved it! Hope that is helpful and good luck with your cake!

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 4

Are you doing a lot of little Legos or 1 big one? I have seen logo molds but not mats. You could just cut circles with a piping tip and use those to get the dots. Personally, I would use the molds and fit them together. 

KarenK55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenK55 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 4

Not sure if I am too late with this, but check this out:

http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/lego-cake.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%