Ovens Ovens Ovens

Business By KuyaRomeo Updated 19 Oct 2016 , 2:53pm by maryp25

KuyaRomeo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KuyaRomeo Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 12:35am
post #1 of 21

We are moving to a new location, and with that getting all new equipment (For the most part).  I have a few questions regarding ovens:

1.  Does anyone have any advice on brands (We are most likely getting gas convection as the new place is gas ready and it will save us a huge cost of upgrading the electrical and outlets).

• Vulcan
  • Duke
  • Blodgett
  • Bakers Pride
  • Southbend True Convection 

2.  A Real silly question:  We are suddenly worried.  Our new location only has one door. . the front.  Even if we remove the door, it is only 36" wide.  As I begin looking at oven measurements, it scares me.  

We are looking to get a double or triple stack oven.  Most of these are at least 39" Wide and 39" Deep. There is no way to get this in the door if the oven arrives assembled and does not come apart.

However, I see that some of the stacked units are independently 22 to 28" High.  So, in theory if the arrive not stacked, or stacked but come apart . . . I can flip them sideways and get them through the door.

Does anyone have an experience ordering brand new stacked ovens?  I would have go guess that they come shipped not assembled and I should not have any problems.  I know this sounds like a silly question . . but all I need is for an oven to arrive and I can't get it in the door.

Thanks!!

20 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 12:46am
post #2 of 21

We have a Bakers Pride from Webstaurant Store at our restaurant, but it is a single deck.  You can turn it sideways and get it through and then put the legs on.  Just call and ask if you will have to stack the doubles yourself upon delivery, and you will know if they will fit.

However a local baker in my town had to take the glass out of her picture window to get her oven in - she didn't realize it wouldn't fit through the door (old building/odd doors).  Oops.

Liz

KuyaRomeo Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 12:51am
post #3 of 21
Quote:

Thanks for the info Liz.  We hope we don't have to buy two single units, as it's cheaper to buy the double stack.  I will call tomorrow and see how they ship.   Thanks for that idea.

We are currently looking at a Vulcan . . but the Bakers Pride is a bit cheaper . . . are you happy with it?  We do a big business in French Macarons which can be very finicky  . . .   so I don't mind spending a little more to make sure the oven is the right choice.  

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

We have a Bakers Pride from Webstaurant Store at our restaurant, but it is a single deck.  You can turn it sideways and get it through and then put the legs on.  Just call and ask if you will have to stack the doubles yourself upon delivery, and you will know if they will fit.

However a local baker in my town had to take the glass out of her picture window to get her oven in - she didn't realize it wouldn't fit through the door (old building/odd doors).  Oops.

Liz

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 12:59am
post #4 of 21

AI don't know how it would work with your door situation but I am in love with this oven.

http://www.empirebake.com/lmo_half_rack_oven.asp

Actually if you look at the technical it says the door can be removed to fit into a 36" door

liz at sugar Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 12:59am
post #5 of 21

Ours gets beat to hell by our employees, and is the electric version.  So that will bake quite a bit differently than the gas version.  You can set the convection to off, low or high, and high will blow cupcake batter into a wave. But if you set it at 180 or so with no convection, you should do fine with macarons.  I regularly make cream puffs and eclairs in ours, along with sweet rolls, baklava, etc.  You will just have to experiment with small batches of each item you make and see what the sweet spot is for temperature, etc.

Liz

liz at sugar Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:02am
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylawaylalayla 

I don't know how it would work with your door situation but I am in love with this oven.

http://www.empirebake.com/lmo_half_rack_oven.asp

Actually if you look at the technical it says the door can be removed to fit into a 36" door

How much is that oven?  It looks expensive. :)

Liz

kaylawaylalayla Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:03am
post #7 of 21

AIt probably is. I asked for a quote a long Time ago . Let me look in my emails. I'm sure it'd be lovely used also.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:06am
post #8 of 21

A$10, 720 for gas. And $9, 810 for electric. Yep its a pretty penny.

KuyaRomeo Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:08am
post #9 of 21

I agree . . it looks EXPENSIVE lol.  

Maybe a bit much for this time around . .    

liz at sugar Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:10am
post #10 of 21

You don't have to look - after buying lots of restaurant equipment over the years, our philosophy is to buy the least expensive new piece of equipment with a warranty.  Used equipment invariably always breaks down, and is often more expensive used than the "off" brands are new.  Expensive new equipment just eats into your profits.  And that is no good.

Liz

liz at sugar Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:13am
post #11 of 21

Yeah, that is a pretty penny. :)

I might spend that much for my oven for my personal kitchen, but not for a business. :)  (A LaCornue CornuFe is calling my name right now)

Liz

kaylawaylalayla Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:16am
post #12 of 21

AYour personal kitchen most rock lol. I was wondering about used equipment. Its sad that it is not always a good option.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:18am
post #13 of 21

ACornufes is gawgeous! I just looked it up

P.s. hubby says vulcan or imperial are good brands that he has worked with

KuyaRomeo Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:20am
post #14 of 21

Ok .  so although that is a gorgeous oven .  .  . it will have to wait lol.

Anyone else know if the double stack ovens come apart / separate into individual units so that I can fit them in our door?  I will call the equip store in the morning, but sure would like to ease my mind tonight so I can sleep a little.  

I truly do believe that they come apart and I am worried over nothing - but we have a two year lease and a lot invested . . so I will not sleep tonight if someone is not able to confirm that most double stack commercial ovens separate . .  

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 4:29pm
post #15 of 21

Mine is 39x39, but only 32 inches tall with the legs removed. They just tipped it on it's side no problem. Stacked ovens are usually just two ovens, stacked, with legs on the bottom one. I have a single one with long legs.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 5:19pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuyaRomeo 

We are moving to a new location... Our new location only has one door. . the front.

I assume you have another exit in the back, is that right? (I believe there must be "two means of escape" before the fire department gives approval.) So can your oven come through that other door?

kpry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpry Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 10:54pm
post #17 of 21

Maybe you could have a carpenter remover the exterior door and frame so the oven would fit.

KuyaRomeo Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 12:06am
post #18 of 21

MimiFix:  There is only one entrance.  It is very small (625 sqf) and has no back door, etc.  Previously there were two pizza shops in and has passed building/fire inspection.  We are not required to file a change of use permit for the city . .  as this was already a food establishment.  

I know many places that do not have a second exit.

kpry:  As a last resort we were going to start calling professional glass companies to get estimates on coming out to remove all the glass front windows and the farming so that we can move our equipment in.  I feared that this would be a very costly event   Simply taking the door off the hinge only gave us 1 more inch.  Still, ovens would not fit.

Update:  For anyone facing this issue down the road . .     I contacted our sales rep at Central Restaurant and he has informed me that most "double stack ovens" ship in 3 parts.   One Oven, Second Oven, and stacking unit.  This was GREAT news.  The individual ovens are about 32" tall, can be turned on their side and enter through the door. . . assembled once inside the store. 

PERFECT ending.

Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 2:36am
post #19 of 21

Wonderful news!! Good luck to you and your new bakery!!

maryp25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryp25 Posted 19 Oct 2016 , 2:53pm
post #20 of 21

Some other popular brands are:

Kitchenaid

Oster

Braville

I have an Oster oven and I have been enjoying it for more than 2 years!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%