Advice? Red Satin Ice Fondant

Decorating By Punkilicious Updated 8 Jul 2013 , 5:07pm by Punkilicious

Punkilicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Punkilicious Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 5

Good Afternoon Fellow Cakers!

I am going to be starting a cake here soon and had some concern about the color of the Red Satin Ice Fondant that I thought I could get an opinion on...

The color of the fondant is more of a cherry red. I want a darker red than this... What would be my best route to take for making this color darker? I was thinking I could knead in a little black food coloring or even airbrush over it VERY lightly with black? Has anyone had really good success with making this fondant darker? Any Tips or Tricks?

Your advice is always greatly appreciated!

4 replies
as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 5

AI was not happy with the brightness of the Satin Ice red either. I bought it because I HATE colouring fondant strong colours; my hands get stained and it affects the texture of the fondant. However, I did have some brick red already and I found that if I mixed it together with the bright red (about a 3:1 ratio of bright to brick) it gave me just what I was looking for.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 5

AI would use brown, not black. I would try a bit first, use a marble sized piece and add a dot of black or brown and knead it in.

SatinFineFoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SatinFineFoods Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 5

Hello Punkilicious,

We would recommend mixing together different colors of Satin Ice to achieve the color red you are looking for. For your reference, we have a color mix guide to help you create the specific shade you would like. Please follow this link to view it: http://satinice.com/color.php

If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact us!

- Your friends at Satin Fine Foods

www.satinice.com

www.facebook.com/satinfinefoods

Punkilicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Punkilicious Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for the advise! I am going to give each of these a go and see what I come up with!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%