Cake Terms That Gross You Out

Lounge By kaylawaylalayla Updated 14 Jul 2013 , 5:45am by Evoir

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 110

AAny one have any cake terms or things relating to cake that the sound of grosses you out?

I know moist is a pretty popular one. I myself don't like to think about buttercreams that crust. it makes me think about feet. Crusty feet. I can't myself imagine that to be a desirable quality, but I understand its benefits for decorating and viva towels and such. And I've eaten american butter cream, and its great, just dont like the term crusts.

So what about you? What gives you the heebie jeebies.

109 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 110

ACrust. Icing that crusts.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 110

AI don't even like the word icing. It makes my teeth hurt!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 110

ANot a gross out, but I effing HATE the term "double barrel" it is seriously so stupid. Double barrel is two barrels NEXT TO EACH OTHER. Not stacked. I vote to call it a double stack, or if you must use the term barrel, an extended barrel or a long barrel.... Ugh, it seriously goes right through me.

as you wish Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 110

AOh, I have another! "Curd". Lemon curd is such lovely stuff, why does it have such a gross name?!

kaylawaylalayla Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 110

AI agree with double barrel doednt make sense. We should come up with another name for it

kaylawaylalayla Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 110

A

Original message sent by as you wish

Oh, I have another! "Curd". Lemon curd is such lovely stuff, why does it have such a gross name?!

At my old job we always use to label it as lemon crud lol. First one was an accident and then it just stuck.

Annabakescakes Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 8:09pm
post #8 of 110

A

Original message sent by kaylawaylalayla

[quote name="as you wish" url="/t/760673/cake-terms-that-gross-you-out#post_7412505"]Oh, I have another! "Curd". Lemon curd is such lovely stuff, why does it have such a gross name?!

At my old job we always use to label it as lemon crud lol. First one was an accident and then it just stuck.[/quote]

Haha! I think that too, I call it crud, but think curd is pretty unappetizing as well. Like when Ms. Muffet eats her curds and whey, I just about gag. Sounds soured and curdled and not in a good way!

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 110

ACurd sounds off-putting. I hate it when Americans say fon-dont. I met a guy a while back who said it that way, and I kinda cringed.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 8:39pm
post #10 of 110

This cake "feeds" 60 people.......   I picture  people at a trough stuffing themselves with nothing but cake.  I think "serves" 60 people...... sounds a little more refined and accurate as cake is not (usually) an entire meal!  

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 8:39pm
post #11 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Not a gross out, but I effing HATE the term "double barrel" it is seriously so stupid. Double barrel is two barrels NEXT TO EACH OTHER. Not stacked. I vote to call it a double stack, or if you must use the term barrel, an extended barrel or a long barrel.... Ugh, it seriously goes right through me.

I was introduced to the extended tier as a "double barrel"  but after reading several threads on CC, I will make the effort to change to extended tier.  it's really more accurate. 

annabananana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabananana Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 8:51pm
post #12 of 110

A

Original message sent by JWinslow

I was introduced to the extended tier as a "double barrel"  but after reading several threads on CC, I will make the effort to change to extended tier.  it's really more accurate. 

Count me in too! The double barrel.term always bothers me too.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 8:51pm
post #13 of 110

Crusting buttercream. (Sound yummy? No.)

Cake balls.  (I'm such a 12 year old sometimes.)

Lard.  (Just creeps me out.)

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmPamCakes 

I hate it when Americans say fon-dont. I met a guy a while back who said it that way, and I kinda cringed.

Whenever I hear someone pronounce fondant that way I always say "I bet you watch Cake Boss" and , amazingly icon_wink.gif, they ALWAYS say yes.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 9:11pm
post #15 of 110

I recall Duff (Ace of Cakes) also says fon-dont. Sounds pretentious.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 9:44pm
post #16 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

I recall Duff (Ace of Cakes) also says fon-dont. Sounds pretentious.

thumbs_up.gif

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 9:49pm
post #17 of 110

AI second curd. Terrible. I also roll my eyes when I hear ppl say fon-DAHNT. (Not to their faces obviously). I for one do not even like the taste of the crusted icing. Ever since I was a little girl I hated it. As I've started working the term has started to push a button lol

kaylawaylalayla Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 9:57pm
post #18 of 110

AMaybe its just me but almost all of the cake shows are pretentious

kaylawaylalayla Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 9:59pm
post #19 of 110

ALike people say to me even though I really have done very little with cakes, you should go be on the next great baker and get to work woth the cake boss that would be awesome. And I say yeah coooool! But what I mean is I would not want to be in the same room with that obnoxious man

Annabakescakes Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 10:05pm
post #20 of 110

A

Original message sent by kaylawaylalayla

Like people say to me even though I really have done very little with cakes, you should go be on the next great baker and get to work woth the cake boss that would be awesome. And I say yeah coooool! But what I mean is I would not want to be in the same room with that obnoxious man

oh yeah, how fricken' cool to ride in the back of the box truck of shame, with no seat belt? To hell with that!

Annabakescakes Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 10:08pm
post #21 of 110

A

Original message sent by karensjustdessert

Crusting buttercream. (Sound yummy? No.)

Cake balls.  (I'm such a 12 year old sometimes.)

Lard.  (Just creeps me out.)

Oh yeah! Cake balls! Bleah! All my cakes must be female, because I don't ever have any little round bits left over ;-) makes me think of Rocky Mountain Oysters... Ick!

Annabakescakes Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 10:12pm
post #22 of 110

A

Original message sent by JWinslow

[QUOTE name="Annabakescakes" url="/t/760673/cake-terms-that-gross-you-out#post_7412502"] Not a gross out, but I effing HATE the term "double barrel" it is seriously so stupid. Double barrel is two barrels NEXT TO EACH OTHER. Not stacked. I vote to call it a double stack, or if you must use the term barrel, an extended barrel or a long barrel.... Ugh, it seriously goes right through me.[/QUOTE]

Original message sent by annabananana

[quote name="JWinslow" url="/t/760673/cake-terms-that-gross-you-out#post_7412538"]

Count me in too! The double barrel.term always bothers me too.[/quote]

Whoooo hooo! I am glad there are others getting on board!

Annabakescakes Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 10:19pm
post #23 of 110

A

Original message sent by yortma

This cake "feeds" 60 people.......   I picture  people at a trough stuffing themselves with nothing but cake.  I think "serves" 60 people...... sounds a little more refined and accurate as cake is not (usually) an entire meal!  

I agree with this too! I always use serve rather than feed, because I see the giant slabs of cake with people shoving them into their faces, like double portions and larger.

A couple weeks ago someone asked about how many "heads this cake would feed" and I immediately pictured people out in a field on their hands and knees like cattle, eating cake of the ground. Then I thought of disembodied heads lined up on a table, with the tops opened up (like the monkey brains served in skulls on indiana Jones) and someone dropping cake in while the heads chat with other, lol.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 10:25pm
post #24 of 110

Speaking of Cake Boss, I hate it when he "dirty ices" a cake. Even crumb coat sounds better than "dirty ice".

Annabakescakes Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 10:35pm
post #25 of 110

A

Original message sent by dynee

Speaking of Cake Boss, I hate it when he "dirty ices" a cake. Even crumb coat sounds better than "dirty ice".

Yes yes yes! Dirty ice makes me think of yellow snow. Or the crud that gets scraped to the end of my driveway by the snow plow/ salt truck.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 10:55pm
post #26 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylawaylalayla 

Maybe its just me but almost all of the cake shows are pretentious

Agreed.  In the past years,  I have only watched 1 cake show in its entirety because I find them so annoying.  People always ask if I watch cake shows, and I always say "no."  Then I get a blank stare, as in, how can you have talent if you don't watch cake shows?  icon_biggrin.gif

as you wish Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 11:44pm
post #27 of 110

A

Original message sent by dynee

So that's where that came from! I have never seen any of the cake shows. I know they exist, I just have never watched one. When someone once asked me about "dirty icing" a cake I had no idea what they meant and I probably looked horrified! The fawndawnt thing gets me, too. I know now where it came from but the first time I heard it I laughed right out loud at the person who said it! I thought they were joking!

shanter Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:31am
post #28 of 110

They probably thought they were pronouncing it in French........but they weren't. Kinda reminded me of Martha Stewart and her "marrinod."

kaylawaylalayla Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:32am
post #29 of 110

AEww eww ewww. Marinod. For marinade?

shanter Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:39am
post #30 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylawaylalayla 

Eww eww ewww. Marinod. For marinade?

Exactly. Ewwwww. And again, pretentious.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%