Ganache V/s Buttercream Under Fondant?

Decorating By Declansmama Updated 18 Jun 2014 , 2:20pm by cai0311

Declansmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Declansmama Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 3:53am
post #1 of 16

AI have always used just buttercream under my fondant and it works fine, but I am always seeing flawless cakes and I am wondering if its the ganache that's makes the difference. Has anyone switched and seen a difference in the finished product or please let me know why you switched because it is costly compared to buttercream. Thanks. Any info. on the subject will help :-)

15 replies
niniel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niniel1 Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 11:08am
post #2 of 16

I am very much a beginner/amateur, but I think when I make ganache it firms up/crusts better than buttercream (maybe I'm just not putting my buttercream cakes in the fridge for long enough), though it may be a case of tweeking your buttercream recipe to get one that crusts better? I have to make a cake this week covered in white fondant and I'm nervous about using ganache underneath it in case the dark colour shows though. 

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 11:41am
post #3 of 16

Niniel1: use white chocolate ganache under your fondant and there'll be no darkness to show through

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by niniel1 

I am very much a beginner/amateur, but I think when I make ganache it firms up/crusts better than buttercream (maybe I'm just not putting my buttercream cakes in the fridge for long enough), though it may be a case of tweeking your buttercream recipe to get one that crusts better? I have to make a cake this week covered in white fondant and I'm nervous about using ganache underneath it in case the dark colour shows though. 

Actually putting your cakes in the fridge will just keep the icing moist and prevent crusting. The icing will get hard because the butter will harden up, but not necessarily crust.

niniel1 Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 16

So should I just leave buttercream cakes on the side to crust? I just assumed they'd need to go into the fridge. Thanks. 

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 16

AThat's what I do....

niniel1 Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 16

I'm such a newbie, concepts like "crusting" are only stuff I have come across since joining this forum. I've been proceeding in a mostly "no idea what I am doing" manner, but with a bit of trial and error I'm getting there. 

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 16

I switched to ganache a few months ago..love it! :) It gets very hot and humid here, the ganache under fondant holds up very well. I use semi sweet chocolate in my ganache and have never had an issue of the chocolate showing through white fondant. White chocolate has cocoa butter in it, so if you use it for ganache, use a 3:1 ratio of chocolate to cream instead of the 2:1 for dark/semi sweet chocolate.

Here's a link the my favorite ganache tutorial by Insipred By Michalle. It's a 3 part series on how to make ganache, crumb coat with it and get crisp corners with your fondant over it.

HTH

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

I switched to ganache a few months ago..love it! :) It gets very hot and humid here, the ganache under fondant holds up very well. I use semi sweet chocolate in my ganache and have never had an issue of the chocolate showing through white fondant. White chocolate has cocoa butter in it, so if you use it for ganache, use a 3:1 ratio of chocolate to cream instead of the 2:1 for dark/semi sweet chocolate.

Here's a link the my favorite ganache tutorial by Insipred By Michalle. It's a 3 part series on how to make ganache, crumb coat with it and get crisp corners with your fondant over it.

HTH

Thanks for the tip!

Declansmama Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 16

AThank you!

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 16

I switched to ganache under my fondant as well and it has made a HUGE difference in my end result.   I get nicer edges on top as opposed to it being rounded off.  Also, my cakes used to "pillow" on the sides.  THe cake would settle more and the fondant would come out on the sides.  It doesn't do that with the ganache and it does hold better in the warmer weather. 

Declansmama Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 12:40am
post #12 of 16

AThanks, that is what I was hoping to hear! So I will hive it a try. How much more is it in cost would you say?

TKCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TKCakes Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 8:03pm
post #13 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixinarow 

HTH

Do you find that your cakes are sweeter because of the Chocolate? Is it kind of like a cake pop with the chocolate? I am debating on weather to try or not. I live in GA and its really hot and humid, would it hold up well with the heat?

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 8:22pm
post #14 of 16

TKCakes, I find it depends what chocolate you are using.  I actually will use ganache (or chocolate frosting in general) to cut the sweetness of the fondant/cake/buttercream combination.  I use ghiradelli's bittersweet chocolate and it is a great combo!  I have found that white chocolate ganache is sweeter though, and in general my customers prefer buttercream under fondant vs white chocolate ganache.

Ganache definitely affects the final product.  You can get sharp edges that stay sharp since the ganache hardens.  Those that use buttercream styles that can be chilled can do that, have hard clean edges and then put fondant on.  I do chill my ABC to put the fondant on, but I've found in the winter all goes smoothly (my house is crazy dry in the winter), but in warmer months I have to put the fondant on and smooth very fast before the fondant starts to get sticky.  Not an issue with ganache that does not have to be chilled to stay hard.  

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 8:30pm
post #15 of 16

I use both, but I like better ganache, it just gets smoother and simpler!

Also, when I got orders for fruity cakes (vanilla, strawberry, lemon..) nobody wants chocolate! maybe white chocolate can work better, but the proportion with the cream is 3:1 so it's a lil bit expensive..

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 2:20pm
post #16 of 16

AI use white chocolate ganache for icing on my fondant covered cakes. I like white chocolate ganache because if the fondant tears or I acidently scuff it up and have to tear it off the fondant does not have any dark chocolate on it that would affect the coloring when I reroll it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%