Sanitizing Rhinestone Ribbon?

Decorating By humblet Updated 8 Jul 2013 , 3:33pm by humblet

humblet Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 12

I will be making a cake and attaching a rhinestone ribbon to it--do I need to sanitize the ribbon before attaching it, and if so, how?

I'm new to the cake making world, so all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

11 replies
DeliciousDesserts Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 12

ADepends. From where did you order it? I like getting it from diamond party confetti.

leah_s Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 12:08am
post #3 of 12

I always did.  Just dunked it in the sanitizing water in the sink.  Just like the dishes.

humblet Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 12

I got it from ali express...can I post a link to it?  Here it is:  http://www.aliexpress.com/item/P4-1-Yard-4-Rows-Diamond-A-Rhinestone-and-Pearl-Wedding-Cake-Banding-Trim-Ribbon/577358801.html

leah_s, what do you use for a sanitizer?  Just like the dishes...do you just use dish soap?

leah_s Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 12

um . . . dish soap is for cleaning, not sanitizing.

To have a licensed kitchen and sell food to the public you must have a method to sanitize all your dishes, utensils and equipment.  It's basic, standard operating procedure.  Did you health inspector not go over this sort of thing when you got your license?

Anyway, I use a bleach solution to sanitize.  Wash, rinse, sanitize and air dry.

humblet Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for the reply...I'm not a licensed baker selling cakes to the public.  Just a mom baking a cake for my 4 year old's princess themed birthday party. 

Anyway, you didn't specify, so I asked.  Thanks for the quick reply :)

denetteb Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 4:29am
post #7 of 12

Could you put some Saran press and seal on the back of the bling band?  Then it wouldn't have to get wet.

humblet Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 12:15pm
post #8 of 12

Hi denetteb...I'm not sure.  I'm covering the cake with fondant and then adding the ribbon to that, will that make a difference?  As I said in my op, I'm pretty new to the cake making world and am trying to learn as I go!  I was under the impression that you can just use fondant glue to help it stick, but that's one reason why I joined cake central (so I can ask questions *before* I try it and find out it won't work!)  Thanks for your reply!  

DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 12:55pm
post #9 of 12

AFrom that place, absolutely!

Google bleach sanitizing methods. That will give you a recipe.

humblet Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:31pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks, that's why I was asking!  I hadn't heard of Diamond Party Confetti when I ordered my ribbon a few months back, but just looked at it and it looks like it does have a lot of nice items.  Will definitely note that for future reference!  Do their items come packaged pre-sanitized? 

DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:42pm
post #11 of 12

AOh I hope I wasn't rude. I meant I don't think that company is known for edible items.

Yes, I trust things from DPC.

humblet Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 3:33pm
post #12 of 12

No, you weren't!  I really appreciate the feedback and would rather be safe than sorry!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%