A Dome Like This

Decorating By kaylawaylalayla Updated 12 Jul 2013 , 4:17am by kaylawaylalayla

kaylawaylalayla Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 4:18am
post #1 of 12

AChocolate Mousse Tower with Ice Cream Encased in a Sugar Dome - http://pinterest.com/pin/344525440213890810/

Any idea on how to make a dome like this?

11 replies
keepingitreal21 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 4:50am
post #2 of 12

That appears to be isomalt, a type of sugar. I'm thinking it could have been:

1. Poured over a dome/ball shape with the impression and allowed to cool and set.
  2. Poured over an impression mat then and moved while still warm and laid over a dome/ball shape to cool and set.
  3. Poured over a dome/ball shape then embossed with the pattern while warm.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 12

AIsn't isomalt bitter?

AZCouture Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 12

ANo it's very sweet, but you wouldn't serve it as food, so I can guarantee you if that was made by any self respecting pastry chef, it's sugar.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 12

AIve only ever poured sugar onto a flat surface so I just wasn't sure how to go about it. It looks like she poured it over a silicone dome mat, just because the pattern looks familiar.but then I think the mat would deflate with the weight of the sugar. I wonder if it is thin and dleicate.

keepingitreal21 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 2:34am
post #6 of 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

No it's very sweet, but you wouldn't serve it as food, so I can guarantee you if that was made by any self respecting pastry chef, it's sugar.

Very True Indeed! You hit the nail on the head.

Although Isomalt is edible, ingesting it in large quantities could aggravate your gastric system if you are sensitive to it...like a laxative. It is used in commercial candy making since it doesn't brown like sugar. You can make poured sugar if you're going to be serving it in large quantities to eat. There are a lot of recipes out there, here's a few.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jacques-torres/faux-marble-poured-sugar-centerpiece-recipe/index.html

If it just for the decoration, you Isomalt. Really it's up to you.

Smckinney07 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 3:06am
post #7 of 12

Ahttp://pieofthetiger.com/2009/04/sugar-work-lesson-1-casting-sugar/

This is a link to a really cool tutorial with a recipe about sculpting sugar. She uses a springform pan, lined with foil to get the circular shape, and bends it into a fruit bowl. It's not the texture or exact shape as your picture but it gives great tips about sugar work. I've also seen sugar (I guess spun sugar like for a croquembuche) swirled over a ladle which could give you the shape your wanting-maybe a mixture of the two techniques...

I have been wanting to try my hand and sugar work, but I've only used isomalt thus far. I just remembered this tutorial and thought it might be of some use. Very cool design and technique!

kaylawaylalayla Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 3:14am
post #8 of 12

AThanks for your help everyone

matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 3:18am
post #9 of 12

Would definitely bet it is real sugar.  The poured sugar on a silpat (see the pattern) then formed in a bowl.  For a similar presentation, and possibly nicer to eat, a spun sugar cage would be nice.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 3:26am
post #10 of 12

AI'm thinking thay ot woild be fantastic if I could get it thin enough. That way you can just crack it with the tap of your spoon over some creme brulee mousse

keepingitreal21 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 3:55am
post #11 of 12

Just realized I said "you Isomalt" and not "use Isomalt"...sorry. I had a cranky 3 month old in my lap at the time. icon_biggrin.gif

You can use a  medal ladle to create a spun sugar dome. Just hold it upside down over you silpat and let the sugar fall off the tines of a fork going back and forth making your design. Make sure you wear gloves. Sugar is very hot ...ask me how I know. Make sure you spray your ladle with some non-stick spray. If you want a bigger shape you can do the same thing in a stainless steel bowl. Just don't forget the spray. GL

kaylawaylalayla Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 4:17am
post #12 of 12

AAww man I've definitely been there with the hot suga. One time a waitress pushed me while I was burning creme brulee. I couldve exploded.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%