Help!! Urgent Help!!!

Decorating By jgvcakes Updated 6 Jul 2013 , 1:45pm by jgvcakes

jgvcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgvcakes Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 3:10am
post #1 of 10

So I made my cake as usual, with the crumb coat and everything. But after I put the fondant on the cake, the sides of the cake are really soft and filled with bumps...what can I do to make it hard like it usually is???

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 3:22am
post #2 of 10

The information you give us is not very good to come up w/a good answer that will help you.

Well did you crumb coat it smoothly 1st?  Were there lumps and bumps on the cake before you covered it w/the fondant?   If not, then it's the fault of the fondant?  Was it rolled smoothly?  Did you knead it well before rolling it?

how thick did you roll it?  Maybe you rolled it thinner than usual?  Not sure what you mean about the "sides being soft and not hard like usual".

jgvcakes Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 4:09am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi 

The information you give us is not very good to come up w/a good answer that will help you.

Well did you crumb coat it smoothly 1st?  Were there lumps and bumps on the cake before you covered it w/the fondant?   If not, then it's the fault of the fondant?  Was it rolled smoothly?  Did you knead it well before rolling it?

how thick did you roll it?  Maybe you rolled it thinner than usual?  Not sure what you mean about the "sides being soft and not hard like usual".

sorry... the fondant is bulging on the sides, you can see bumps on the sides of the cake

the crumb coat was smooth, there were no bumps nor lumps on the cake before, and the fondant was rolled not too thin not too thick 
I always do the same thing and this never happens 

sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 4:14am
post #4 of 10

AIs it bulging woth air bubbles? This happened to me once. You need to stick a skewer down the center of the cake and remove it, so there is an "escape hole" for the trapped air to come out of. Then try to push the bubbles out and smooth your fondant back down. As far as I could tell from researching it, this is caused by the cake being too cold when the fondant is put on, and changing temperature rapidly in a warm room, causing gas to escape from the cake. The fondant will get stretched and wrinkled as you deflate the bubbles which have formed. You may be able to stretch the excess downward and cut it off around the base of the cake. In summer, you need to be very careful not to let your cakes get too cold and then warm up too fast. This is why ganache is a preferred under-fondant coating in hot countries - it hardens up to a nice shell at room temperature, so you don't have to refrigerate your cake before covering it.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 4:16am
post #5 of 10

Are the bumps caused by the filling bulging out? Did you use a filling with a sturdy dam to prevent the bulges?

jgvcakes Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 4:18am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahgale314 

Is it bulging woth air bubbles? This happened to me once. You need to stick a skewer down the center of the cake and remove it, so there is an "escape hole" for the trapped air to come out of. Then try to push the bubbles out and smooth your fondant back down. As far as I could tell from researching it, this is caused by the cake being too cold when the fondant is put on, and changing temperature rapidly in a warm room, causing gas to escape from the cake. The fondant will get stretched and wrinkled as you deflate the bubbles which have formed. You may be able to stretch the excess downward and cut it off around the base of the cake. In summer, you need to be very careful not to let your cakes get too cold and then warm up too fast. This is why ganache is a preferred under-fondant coating in hot countries - it hardens up to a nice shell at room temperature, so you don't have to refrigerate your cake before covering it.

it doesn't have any air bubbles...but maybe it's the change of temperature I chilled it for around 30 minutes when I did the crumb coat then left it out the fridge for almost an hour before putting the fondant on...
do you know of something I can do to fix it, or should I just start again? :/ 

jgvcakes Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 4:19am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

Are the bumps caused by the filling bulging out? Did you use a filling with a sturdy dam to prevent the bulges?

yes, the filling (buttercream) is bulging out, but I did did the filling with the dam, but for some reason it still happened 

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 10

I'm no expert but I will pas on what I have read from folks here....

- Use a stiffer than normal BC for damming

- let the cakes settle with something heavy-ish (I think it is IndyDebi that says a ceramic tile but have also seen others use a cake pan with something inside)

- thin fondant?

That's all I got....good luck!

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgvcakes 

yes, the filling (buttercream) is bulging out, but I did did the filling with the dam, but for some reason it still happened 

You can try to smooth it down with a fondant smoother, but, if your dam broke, and you have time to fix it, I would fix it. I would pull the fondant off, take the top off, fix the dam and recover with fondant. Idk how much time you have to mess with it, but sometimes fixing it takes less time than trying to smooth the bulges (and get frustrated if it doesn't work).

hth

jgvcakes Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 10

I had to redo it, it turn out pretty good afterwards 

Thanks everyone :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%